9th Region All-Star Team vs. Covington Catholic Colonels

As others with more insight than I have pointed out above, I find it very hard to believe Starks was blocked from playing football by the basketball coaches. Too many basketball players have played football and other sports at CCH. People call tell all the stories they want but I prefer to believe what I see with my own eyes. I see basketball players playing football. Fact. If someone tells a different story, my inclination is that person has no clue and is just speculating at best. If it were me, I would question that person as a source going forward. I surely would not be repeating any story they told me.

On top of all that, let's say the basketball coaches did say no football. If Starks goes ahead and plays football anyway, does anyone think the basketball coaches would turn him away when he shows up for basketball after football season? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

As others with more insight than I have pointed out above, I find it very hard to believe Starks was blocked from playing football by the basketball coaches. Too many basketball players have played football and other sports at CCH. People call tell all the stories they want but I prefer to believe what I see with my own eyes. I see basketball players playing football. Fact. If someone tells a different story, my inclination is that person has no clue and is just speculating at best. If it were me, I would question that person as a source going forward. I surely would not be repeating any story they told me.

On top of all that, let's say the basketball coaches did say no football. If Starks goes ahead and plays football anyway, does anyone think the basketball coaches would turn him away when he shows up for basketball after football season? 

1 hour ago, BrosefStalin said:

Not totally surprising what with the donnybrook in the stands early in the season at home too! Don’t forget that…generally not a great sign in terms of a positive team chemistry. 

I take it you're referring to this. I thought @Colonels_Wear_Blue had a pretty good explainer on it. Not an episode between two CCH families that would affect team chemistry, right?

Screenshot_20220404-203316__01.jpg

Screenshot_20220404-201848__01.jpg

Screenshot_20220404-201910__01.jpg

Screenshot_20220404-201925__01.jpg

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

The truth is the truth. And the truth is out there. Those that continue to ignore it, I admire your blind loyalty. Obviously football players have played basketball, but let’s look at who that’s been. Those guys, the well known ones, who have done both have been “football” guys, no one is turning down the Mayer’s from playing, because if they did, they would not have won the Sweet 16 in 2018. Currently, Aidan Jones is a “football” guy who enjoys playing basketball, and they are lucky to have him. “Football” guy meaning a more dominant football player than basketball player, and seeking to play football over basketball in college. 

But the truth is, if the basketball program labels you or your kid as what one in the program calls kids “my guy”, they are heavily discouraged from playing multiple sports. Are they told point blank “hey don’t play football or else”.. No, or at least I have yet to hear of that occurrence yet…. But they are pressured, made promises that they’ll be taken care of, be the “next D1 stud”, and be way better off just focusing on one. How can you expect young kids to look at an adult and not believe them.

Starks showed up to Ed Eviston the day after they lost to St. Henry last season and said he wanted to play football. Coach E said take a break, take the weekend, you just finished basketball. Starks came back and informed him he is no longer playing. Ask yourself why? Well his recent transfer news is evidence that he clearly wants to pursue football, not to mention him attending the University of Cincinnati football camp while being just a basketball player at CovCath. His desire to play football hasn’t changed, only grown, and the question people should be and are asking is the correct one, for someone who wanted to play football so badly that he transferred, why was it so difficult to just walk across the campus in Park Hills and join the team. 

It’s happened, it is happening. It will keep happening. Right, wrong, or indifferent, let’s let kids be just that- Kids.

My source: Personal experience. Pretty tough to beat that source eh?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheConch said:

The truth is the truth. And the truth is out there. Those that continue to ignore it, I admire your blind loyalty. Obviously football players have played basketball, but let’s look at who that’s been. Those guys, the well known ones, who have done both have been “football” guys, no one is turning down the Mayer’s from playing, because if they did, they would not have won the Sweet 16 in 2018. Currently, Aidan Jones is a “football” guy who enjoys playing basketball, and they are lucky to have him. “Football” guy meaning a more dominant football player than basketball player, and seeking to play football over basketball in college. 

But the truth is, if the basketball program labels you or your kid as what one in the program calls kids “my guy”, they are heavily discouraged from playing multiple sports. Are they told point blank “hey don’t play football or else”.. No, or at least I have yet to hear of that occurrence yet…. But they are pressured, made promises that they’ll be taken care of, be the “next D1 stud”, and be way better off just focusing on one. How can you expect young kids to look at an adult and not believe them.

Starks showed up to Ed Eviston the day after they lost to St. Henry last season and said he wanted to play football. Coach E said take a break, take the weekend, you just finished basketball. Starks came back and informed him he is no longer playing. Ask yourself why? Well his recent transfer news is evidence that he clearly wants to pursue football, not to mention him attending the University of Cincinnati football camp while being just a basketball player at CovCath. His desire to play football hasn’t changed, only grown, and the question people should be and are asking is the correct one, for someone who wanted to play football so badly that he transferred, why was it so difficult to just walk across the campus in Park Hills and join the team. 

It’s happened, it is happening. It will keep happening. Right, wrong, or indifferent, let’s let kids be just that- Kids.

My source: Personal experience. Pretty tough to beat that source eh?

I don't doubt anything you said here, except I do find it hard to believe Coach Eviston didn't also say we would love to have you. But I also stand by what I said earlier. If Starks wanted to play football at Cov Cath, the only person stopping him from doing that is himself. And there is zero doubt in my mind that if he played football, he would still be a starter on the basketball team.

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't doubt anything you said here, except I do find it hard to believe Coach Eviston didn't also say we would love to have you. But I also stand by what I said earlier. If Starks wanted to play football at Cov Cath, the only person stopping him from doing that is himself. And there is zero doubt in my mind that if he played football, he would still be a starter on the basketball team.

If your Coach E comment was about wanting Starks to play football, you are correct. I meant to add in there “take a break, and come back and join us after the weekend.” It was not Eddie turned him away. 

And I would agree with you as well on Starks still starting basketball if he played football, but kids don’t see that like we do when one of their coaches or adult in their life is telling them something else. 

Let kids be kids. Go Colonels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheConch said:

If your Coach E comment was about wanting Starks to play football, you are correct. I meant to add in there “take a break, and come back and join us after the weekend.” It was not Eddie turned him away. 

And I would agree with you as well on Starks still starting basketball if he played football, but kids don’t see that like we do when one of their coaches or adult in their life is telling them something else. 

Let kids be kids. Go Colonels.

Could not agree more with what you said here.  

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, Instride said:

I guess the rumors were accurate.  But its odd that he did not just play football at covcath.  Definitely makes the 9th interesting. 

How does this make the 9th any more interesting? Ipsarro, Hussey will run the region and they will reload around them.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, GoBucks97 said:

How does this make the 9th any more interesting? Ipsarro, Hussey will run the region and they will reload around them.

Disagree.  Without Chandler, they are in line with than Lloyd and Highlands and Holy Cross and Cooper and Conner.

• Like 4