Covington Catholic 38 Highlands 8

47 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

Yeah there will be Kids that don't come back. Why would they? They're being passed up anyway. When those kids are Playing Summer and Fall Baseball on the Weekends outside of Football, those who choose to Work out and get better at their Craft will show on Friday nights. The problem is, the parents of the kids missing don't get it. It's always someone else's fault that their Kid isn't a getting a Fair shake. Imagine if there were Leagues or opportunity to play Football in March,April and May on the Weekends during Baseball season? What would the Baseball coach think? I already know what Highlands Basketball Coach thinks of the Tournament Rocky Top. He's strongly is against it.

I am with you 100%. Wasn't saying otherwise. I think the biggest issue isn't high school baseball or basketball though; it is the traveling/AAU teams that so many players play for as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

A couple things, as far as what is normal and what is done at Highlands I think you will see is 2 totally different things.  I get the feeling what Bob wants Bob will try to get, I don't care if no other NKY program does it that way.  I go back to when he was hired a need for a DC was blasted on twitter and Facebook all the time, unfortunately the right candidate never came forward so Bob stepped into that role.  So I am "assuming" the plan from the get go was for Bob NOT to be a coordinator....if anyone on the inside disagrees, go for it.

As far as the son's qualifications I totally agree probably not up to snuff, hence my point of hoping Bob can be just the HC so he can maybe mentor and oversee much better Hayden's growth, without being tied to the DC job.  Also, based on prior posts I think it came out that Hayden didn't arrive to the Fort until Jun'ish.....which is a tall order to be the OC at Highlands having only 2+ months to know your personnel....With that I am giving him a pass this year and not blasting him for what he did or didn't do this season.  Highlands backs were against the wall with the Staffing issues.  Another reason why this offseason will be very interesting to see if Bob replaces people b/c what he saw in certain staff people just isn't something to grow with or will there be a line of candidates with great resumes that want to jump from other programs to Highlands b/c people see the potential of what Coach Sphire might have here.

So if he decides to make staff changes where are these candidates with great resumes coming from? The people coming would be making the switch knowing he may retire in the near future and they have a better shot at the HC job.....but I think the plan is to get his son into the job. 1000 mile relocations have a bunch of ulterior motives. Why would coaches at Cov Cath, Beechwood, NCC, etc. leave where they are? If you are coming from Central KY where he was many years ago it would seem you would need a teaching or other job. Just my thoughts.

8 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

Yeah there will be Kids that don't come back. Why would they? They're being passed up anyway. When those kids are Playing Summer and Fall Baseball on the Weekends outside of Football, those who choose to Work out and get better at their Craft will show on Friday nights. The problem is, the parents of the kids missing don't get it. It's always someone else's fault that their Kid isn't a getting a Fair shake. Imagine if there were Leagues or opportunity to play Football in March,April and May on the Weekends during Baseball season? What would the Baseball coach think? I already know what Highlands Basketball Coach thinks of the Tournament Rocky Top. He's strongly is against it.

What is the Tournament Rocky Top as far as high school players.  If I were a coach of another sport and players were not playing due to losing a football position is that really what a school wants?  I am not saying that if I were the head football coach I would not expect that but again is not part of high school sports about playing multiple sports?  

On 11/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, FrankNicodemus said:

Totally agree!  And for that to be your first series set of plays.   You had 2 weeks to come up with your first handful of plays and that's what you drew up?  Believe you me, that had a lot of us scratching our heads.  Crazy to think that game plan was approved by Coach B. Sphire.  That was BEYOND gimmicky!

If it had worked out all of you would be calling the coach a genius. Trust me, Bob Sphire knows what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, and how it's going to happen. He's been around quite a while and has coached in situations in Georgia much different from when he has been in KY either time. Bottom line..... it's players. As they improve physically and fundamentally the program improves. Sometimes success is dictated by your competitors. This 5A district is good. Ryle is good. Some of the teams they beat were bad. It happens. They'll get better....but every year it gets tougher to win a state championship. My comments in no way are an indictment of previous coaches or current coaches. Just the way I see it.

1 minute ago, 9068 said:

If it had worked out all of you would be calling the coach a genius. Trust me, Bob Sphire knows what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, and how it's going to happen. He's been around quite a while and has coached in situations in Georgia much different from when he has been in KY either time. Bottom line..... it's players. As they improve physically and fundamentally the program improves. Sometimes success is dictated by your competitors. This 5A district is good. Ryle is good. Some of the teams they beat were bad. It happens. They'll get better....but every year it gets tougher to win a state championship. My comments in no way are an indictment of previous coaches or current coaches. Just the way I see it.

So finally someone saying talent has been the issue at Highlands.

• Like 3

What has this staff done over and over again expecting a different result??  The main guys on this staff Bob & Hayden has NEVER had a winter with this program yet.....

I have seen Bob's quotes in the local media state in big bold letters:  We need to get BIGGER and STRONGER!!!  Until these boys get bigger and stronger you are exactly right, I don't see Highlands becoming the Top Program they once were.....but before we go saying this is the same old same old, let him have an offseason to see if he can be the Magic Man and get these kids BIGGER and STRONGER!

2 hours ago, theguru said:

So finally someone saying talent has been the issue at Highlands.

Neither a CCH or HHS guy......but I spent a bunch of time involved with HS football. No matter what, talent is the key everywhere. Great players make coaches a lot more successful. For a long stretch the Birds had major college players and guys that were highly successful at other levels. Hasn't been the case lately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Neither a CCH or HHS guy......but I spent a bunch of time involved with HS football. No matter what, talent is the key everywhere. Great players make coaches a lot more successful. For a long stretch the Birds had major college players and guys that were highly successful at other levels. Hasn't been the case lately.

100% AGREE!!!  When in the last 5 years the ONLY quality D1 player coming out of Highlands program has been Brycen Huddy you won't have a successful program when the school over in Park Hills is spitting out D1 players year in and year out....Unfortunately, Huddy's tenure coincided with the dude at Notre Dame or maybe the Birds would have done much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

When in the last 5 years the ONLY quality D1 player coming out of Highlands program has been Brycen Huddy you won't have a successful program when the school over in Park Hills is spitting out D1 players year in and year out....

So just like some here have been saying for two years, Highlands doesn’t have the dudes…