Covington Catholic 38 Highlands 8

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

We are on the same page. I just was trying to debunk the myth (not necessarily perpetuated by you) that HHS has had this revolving door of huge D1 talent and numbers. It just simply isn't true. 

Absolutely. I don't think anyone in Kentucky has that. 

2 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Hunter Ahfeld and Grady Cramer D1 at Morehead.

Morehead is not D1 they are FCS. Totally different level of football than FBS and you know that. 

I forgot about Seth Hope at Cornell. Figgins was never offered while at HHS and did not graduate from HHS. 

Also since we are talking about talent at Highlands this post from the Open Job:  Highlands thread is relevant.  gbballfan21 posted this on 12-21-20:

My first thought here ... Highlands to Beechwood isn't an apples to apples comparison at this time. If Coach Rash leaves--and there is a 4 to 6 year downturn in the program at Beechwood I would venture to say that there is a high likelihood that you would be correct. We truly don't know--and won't know until Coach Rash leaves. Hopefully that won't happen for a few more years at least!

At the same time--the Beechwood faithful seemed to pick up on the impact of Ginger Webb much, much, much quicker than what the Highlands faithful did. (Which is really interesting -- because it directly impacted the players that both programs were taking in -- and then no longer taking in). Beechwood seemed to eventually figure that out -- then went to work fixing it (not as quickly as people would have liked). You still have Highlands people who don't have a clue of what really happened. Then you compound that with the fact that the "Fort Thomas Mafia" is apparently absolutely convinced that they have had enough talent to be just as good as they used to be since all this happened -- makes me think that any new, informed coach coming into Highlands better double check and make sure that there are no more Ginger Webb's waiting in the wing--simply because you have a component of the population who isn't seeing the forest through the trees.  Nothing against the homegrown talent--but it is abundantly clear that you need a few kids from outside of your city limits to push you over the limits. (I don't think anyone from Beechwood would disagree with that -- after Ginger left--but there were probably quite a few who may have felt that way before she completely choked out athletics in general -- and not just football at Beechwood). 

If my Ginger Webb diatribe doesn't make sense -- here it is in a nutshell -- Ginger closed off the pipeline of great players coming from out of district. I think the faithful liked that a little too much -- and it was/is significantly easier to blame that on the previous coach/staff by saying "the talent is there" -- Ha, ha! Malarkey! (I think there is a great base of talent there--but the ones who put things over the top are no longer coming--and when they do--they leave--Pretty QUICKLY!)  I think Dale saw the writing on the wall and realized with Aunt Ginger involved -- that things were not going to be manageable for him either. So he left--and left in a pretty interesting way (not questioning the family motives--but I think the timing is something he probably would have worked around differently a few years earlier). If you can prove me wrong--fire at will. 

Whether it is Beechwood, Highlands or Po Dunk U -- Coaches have more options today than they used to. If you are good--you have a little more power to set your own course. I simply don't think that is possible at Highlands right now. And I don't think it is possible until the "faithful" takes a long look in the mirror and admits that they need to go backward before they go forward. If they make that commitment upfront to a great coach--they have a chance to get someone of top caliber. If they continue to walk around without acknowledging reality --- I think it will be tough sledding. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Morehead is not D1 they are FCS. Totally different level of football than FBS and you know that. 

I forgot about Seth Hope at Cornell. Figgins was never offered while at HHS and did not graduate from HHS. 

While fcs is not fbs, it is still D1 and is still rare for HS players to make it to that level. Now Morehead and other Pioneer conference teams are a little different in that they are non scholarship, the rest of fcs is still high level players.

• Like 1