Covington Catholic 38 Highlands 8

Just me, or was the crowd very poor for a CCH v HHS playoff game? Especially after an 8-7 game the first time around. 

Even with Cold temperatures, it was perfect at the start, got nippy as night went on. Is video broadcast of games hurting attendance? 

40 minutes ago, TheConch said:

Just me, or was the crowd very poor for a CCH v HHS playoff game? Especially after an 8-7 game the first time around. 

Even with Cold temperatures, it was perfect at the start, got nippy as night went on. Is video broadcast of games hurting attendance? 

I asked the same question about attendance in the update thread.  It looked poor from the video but you could only see a portion of the venue.  Also, with it being a paid broadcast I wouldn't think it would make a dramatic difference but who knows. 

Anyone?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

Again I am not saying it, but again if you watched the first game he was a man among boys.  Now I have to agree that Cov Cath ran hard and was at another gear, but again how many first downs the birds had the first half?  The boys were small.  Another year in the weight room and the Sophs get better.   Work hard and I believe good things are ahead.  I honestly do!!!

Same with the CCH Soph class that beat the Birds last year as Frosh when Giesler was still on the Birds and he did nothing in that game....before he transferred to CCH....and then transferred back to HHS. As long as Eviston is at the helm, and the classes are even in talent I will take CCH every day of the week.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, theguru said:

I asked the same question about attendance in the update thread.  It looked poor from the video but you could only see a portion of the venue.  Also, with it being a paid broadcast I wouldn't think it would make a dramatic difference but who knows. 

Anyone?

It wasn't as full as I thought, but there were a ton of CCH fans on the track, and it was probably hard to see during the broadcast.

• Thanks 1

There were a few Birds fans on this board predicting a Birds win after a win against a Cooper team that obviously declined dramatically at the end of the year-some even predicted a multiple score win while we remained quiet. My only prediction in the prediction thread was "CCH wins."

I appreciate the enthusiasm and banter, but this score doesn't surprise me at all and the game never felt as close as the score. After the 1st TD on the 1st Drive, and then watching the Birds first couple of drives I knew this game was over. Our D played like a bunch of crazed dogs out there, and our O-Line dominated the smaller Bluebirds. It's a 9 game winning streak over 7 years, but would be 14 if the Birds made it far enough in the playoffs for CCH to beat them twice because lets be honest....only a couple of these games have been close. The only 2 I can think of both at Highlands were the rainy game a few years ago, and the one this year the day after Eddie's brother passed away.

I just don't see anything changing, and the game next year is at CCH where CCH has been just blowing the doors off Highlands. Reminds me of CCH showing up to Highlands a decade ago. Last thing: I don't know what the majority of the Highlands faithful think about the new coaching staff other than what I have read on here, but it optically looked like Highlands just tapped out half way through the 3rd and called it a season knowing they were overmatched by a way more physical team who played with a ton more energy after coming off a very physical win against Ryle in a quagmire. They were just beat into submission.

I was just surprised to see that-thought the new coach with bring a little more inspiration to the team this year. Again-with the talent Highlands has returning (and CCH has quite a bit too they just don't peak until this time of year because most of them are 1st time Senior starters after Eddie and staff have developed them), I think the Birds are still a mystery on where they go from here because they are so up and down week to week, and to me that is where the coaches make the difference.

• Like 3

I will give you this, It was a Hard Game for Highlands Fans to watch. I did expect more from Highlands tonight, I know Eddie's Family well and have been around Coaching a long time, I was disappointed as many HHS fans were, that is taking nothing away from CCHS. They played a good game. What happened to Highlands tonight, I have my own feelings that I will keep to myself, Basketball, Track and Field, Baseball, Spring Soccer is coming and many other Sports, we will all meet again in many other Arenas. I hope everyone has a safe and Blessed Holiday Season, we will see you in the Spring on the Baseball field. 

Congrats to the Blueboys, they were extremely well prepared and they sure did execute well. 

Eddie had a very nice game plan and executed it very well, furthermore Ed is a seasoned OC and stuck to his game plan, he was patient  and owned the time of possession in this game. His young men rose to the occasion. 

CovCath will be a tough out moving forward IMO. I did get the “CovCath laid in the weeds first game” kind of feeling because they only played well enough to win the first match in Ft Thomas. To me that’s what really good programs do to other teams. They give you a false sense of accomplishment and then wham!!!, attack the heck out of you.

Highlands has a lot of off-season work to get done to be better from top to bottom . I would like to see an immediate search or appointment of a Special Teams coach, perhaps @JOAT would accept this position. It’s the little things that seemed to be missing throughout the season, jmo.

Back to work Birds, lets hope it begins on Monday.

• Like 2

High school football is really impacted by two things: talent and injury. We know the Birds had some big injuries (as did other 5A teams). Sometimes fans have a tendency to over estimate players' abilities and think they are a little better than they are. Is that a possibility? Coaching is important, very important.....but as an old coach told me 45+ years ago "you can't coach what you ain't got". Big question to me is if everyone in program (other than seniors of course) is back on Memorial Parkway next season?

I saw in HIghlands this  year an average HS football team who on any given Friday could win or fall flat.  CCH is above average and a throwing QB away from being  a champion team.  I’d be surprised if they don’t win next week.  After that it may be a coin toss every week.  Anything’s possible.  

I’d give the Birds coaching staff a mulligan this year.  I just don’t think they had the horses some think they had.  Some athletes and some heart out there but CCH on a different level again this year.  

• Like 4