Mayfield vs. Murray Predictions/Updates ***Upset Alert***

Cards vs. Tigers  

38 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/22/2021 at 11:00 PM

5qs2u8.thumb.jpg.d111bb33ac8e839f3d353f5633d6b166.jpg

Cards aim to reassert command of rival following last year's once in a generation loss

Records: Mayfield (8-0), Murray (5-2)

BGP Ranking: Mayfield (#3 in 2A), Murray (#9 in 2A)

Series History: Mayfield leads 25-1 dating back to 1998

Table Setter: From 1998-2020, few rivalries around the state were as one sided as the Cardinals vs. Tigers. It was all Mayfield, all the time. Murray's time finally came last November, as they ended 23 years of frustration and Mayfield's 46 game home playoff winning streak to take the district title from the Cardinals.

That was then, this is now, and Mayfield is coming in unbeaten with every win by multiple scores. Zane Cartwright has been sharp behind center, completing 68% of his throws with 15 touchdown passes against a single interception. Providing balance to the Mayfield offense is Kylan Galbreath, one of the state's top running backs. Together, they give the Cardinals one of the best run/pass combos in 2A.

Murray's loss last week to Caldwell County has slightly dimmed the hype for this game, but the Tigers shouldn't be counted out as a candidate to pull the upset. Quarterback Rowdy Sokolowski threw two touchdown passes in the playoff game  last year, including the game winner in triple overtime. Sokolowski, his brother Gage, Xavier Biggers, and Kainoa Olive form a devastating rushing attack that's surpassed 500 yards on three occasions this season. 

This will be Darren Bowlings introduction to the rivalry as Murray's coach and he's facing a Mayfield team that's had almost a year to stew on that rare home loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cardinals roll in this one! Murray may have rushed for 500 yards on three occasions this season, but they weren’t running the ball against Mayfield’s defense. Murray is NO threat to pull the upset…IMHO. 😎

• Like 2

Murray will need to pull out all the stops to come away with a win this friday night.  They don't really have a signature win, and they dropped the game last week to Caldwell, who Mayfield easily took care of while playing their sloppiest game of the year.  Murray pass game will dictate if they can be competitive in this game.  I don't see them breaking alot of long touchdown runs the way Mayfield controls the line of scrimmage.

Murray was definitley hit hard by graduation. They still have some play makers, but Mayfield's team speed will give them problems. Its going to take some time for Murray's new coach to establish his system to be fully effective. I agree that Murray will have to find some sort of balance to have any success. It is extremley difficult to generate big plays against Mayfield but that is the only hope. Murray has played a little better on defense but that is what concerns against Mayfield more than anything.

The Cardinals have this game penciled in since last November.  They will not need any extra motivation for this game. Losing in the playoffs at home is just something that doesn't occur on War Memorial turf.  They will be ready.

Mayfield's D/O-Line will dictate this game.  Murray gave up 13 points on three turnovers vs Caldwell on a 20-14 game.  Caldwell's D-line was a problem all night.  I see some of the same issues come Friday night.  Murray's O-line is undersized, to say the least, and starts 1 senior, 2 juniors, 2 soph on their O-line.

Last time Coach Bowling played Mayfield, things didn't fair well for him.  Losing 41-0 in 2017 should still be in the back of his mind.  Mayfield knows who to play vs option teams.  He will have to pass more than four times a game to stretch the Cardinals out.  Xavier Biggers and Zavion Carman (both Soph) are big play athletes when given the opportunity. 

I don't see Mayfield scoring less than 35 points here and doubt Murray can score more than 14.

Being the grandstand coach and scout that I am, I feel like Mayfield is the favorite, I am not sure how much of a favorite.

I think if Mayfield splits the fastest receivers that it will be a quick game, otherwise it’s just going to be your regular Mayfield 35-Murray 7 game.

21 hours ago, FB Head said:

The Cardinals have this game penciled in since last November.  They will not need any extra motivation for this game. Losing in the playoffs at home is just something that doesn't occur on War Memorial turf.  They will be ready.

Mayfield's D/O-Line will dictate this game.  Murray gave up 13 points on three turnovers vs Caldwell on a 20-14 game.  Caldwell's D-line was a problem all night.  I see some of the same issues come Friday night.  Murray's O-line is undersized, to say the least, and starts 1 senior, 2 juniors, 2 soph on their O-line.

Last time Coach Bowling played Mayfield, things didn't fair well for him.  Losing 41-0 in 2017 should still be in the back of his mind.  Mayfield knows who to play vs option teams.  He will have to pass more than four times a game to stretch the Cardinals out.  Xavier Biggers and Zavion Carman (both Soph) are big play athletes when given the opportunity. 

I don't see Mayfield scoring less than 35 points here and doubt Murray can score more than 14.

Not that it means anything but Union City played Mayfield in 2018 and Mayfield won 43-27 and pulled away in the 4th quarter. Not necessarily what im expecting here, But Coach Bowling had more succeess the second time he played Mayfield. 

28 minutes ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

Not that it means anything but Union City played Mayfield in 2018 and Mayfield won 43-27 and pulled away in the 4th quarter. Not necessarily what im expecting here, But Coach Bowling had more succeess the second time he played Mayfield. 

He had a big strong back in that game too....I don't think Murray has one.

23 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

He had a big strong back in that game too....I don't think Murray has one.

You may be right, I dont know much about that UC team. I know Mayfield was really, really good that year. But Murray has its hands full Friday to say the very least.

• theguru changed the title to Mayfield vs. Murray Predictions/Updates ***Upset Alert***
  • theguru locked this topic