7v7 Tournaments

South Oldham was at a tourney near Fern Creek I believe. Was told they got wins over Jeffersonville (In), Waggener, Rock Creek (In), Fairdale, and Manual. Lost to Western who I was told was pretty impressive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pick-six said:

I agree with this 100%.  7 on 7 is good for team bonding, timing and getting reps against kids that are normally better than your 1's see in practice.  It's a chance to see kids compete and have fun.  But, it really has no indication on how successful your team will be with pads on.

Agree it has zero indication of how good your team will do. But 7v7 does give your passing game/pass defense a chance to compete and work on technique in a competitive environment. The QB gets a chance to work on footwork, reading defenses quickly, and making accurate throws. Receivers work on getting off the line of scrimmage and separating. Linebackers and the secondary get a good opportunity to work technique and communication. 
In college your own team provides this level of practice. That’s why they do it several times a week. 
For most High school teams you have to go out and compete against other schools to get it. I believe it also does provide bonding and jacking up the competitive juices getting ready for the season. 
I believe there is a lot of value in these tournaments. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

Hopkinsville takes the Best of the West crown.

I thought they ran a good tourney.  The games were quick & efficient & they stayed on time.  I think Bullitt East was able to get 10 or so games in over the course of Friday & Saturday; a lot of reps for the boys.  They competed well & came back to win the consolation bracket after losing to BG.  Ready for another good week of practice & onto EKU next weekend.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

Pool 1 looks brutal.  I’m assuming that’s Boyle, Ballard, Hoptown & Frederick D.

Agreed!  That is a brutal pool should be interesting.  I also am of the camp great for timing and building those competitive juices but a true pocket passer and a couple of speedsters dictate results.  Kids enjoy it but the trenches dictate real football.  An example a large TE with a head of steam will not go down with a one hand touch.  Speed and skills display best 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

Agreed!  That is a brutal pool should be interesting.  I also am of the camp great for timing and building those competitive juices but a true pocket passer and a couple of speedsters dictate results.  Kids enjoy it but the trenches dictate real football.  An example a large TE with a head of steam will not go down with a one hand touch.  Speed and skills display best 

Interesting enough, we have one of those large TEs at Bullitt East so I agree.  He’s a 6’3”, 240 lb. sophomore.  He is a load & will make things difficult on defenses this year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Does South Oldham have a tournament coming up?

Per the practice schedule I saw they had a 7v7 and lineman challenge with Central Hardin last night. They have a 7v7 vs Doss next Wednesday and are at Western Hills for a 7v7 and lineman challenge next Saturday. That should do it before the first scrimmage vs E-Town on Aug 6.