Wes Miller Named Cincinnati's New Coach

Walter

So they have the new guy. Good hire for them. Now player and fan buy in is key. The big question for me is how long does the situation with former coach Brannen drag on? All that can do is hurt the program, deflect enthusiasm over new hire, and cast a cloud they don't need. Cash settlement needs to happen and move in the direction you want. Every coach in America better be aware now....the transfer portal is more lethal than they will ever want to admit.

34 minutes ago, 9068 said:

So they have the new guy. Good hire for them. Now player and fan buy in is key. The big question for me is how long does the situation with former coach Brannen drag on? All that can do is hurt the program, deflect enthusiasm over new hire, and cast a cloud they don't need. Cash settlement needs to happen and move in the direction you want. Every coach in America better be aware now....the transfer portal is more lethal than they will ever want to admit.

Brannen has little to no leverage at this point. The fans don't care about him. They will move on with the new guy. There will be no pressure on the administration to do anything about Brannen.

Miller looks like a really good hire. Ten years experience as a head coach and created a winning program where he's at.  The tone about the program change dramatically with this hire.

The first big challenge will be pulling some of those freshmen back into the program and out of the portal. Give Brannen credit for the talent that he brought in that freshman class. If Miller gets those guys back in the fold that will be more positive news for UC  and a big feather in the cap for Miller.

Sounds like a great hire. As a Kentucky fan, I would love to see Cincinnati back to the program they once were. Step 1, Fickell. Step 2, Miller?, Step 3 build that resume to get back in to the Power 5.

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Brannen has little to no leverage at this point. The fans don't care about him. They will move on with the new guy. There will be no pressure on the administration to do anything about Brannen.

Miller looks like a really good hire. Ten years experience as a head coach and created a winning program where he's at.  The tone about the program change dramatically with this hire.

The first big challenge will be pulling some of those freshmen back into the program and out of the portal. Give Brannen credit for the talent that he brought in that freshman class. If Miller gets those guys back in the fold that will be more positive news for UC  and a big feather in the cap for Miller.

Quite false, Brannen has leverage to get what he is deserved, his full buyout amount.  Brannen got a raw deal and yes, there are fans who do care about him and the way he was treated.  Pay up UC, you screwed the guy, honor the contract.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bjknku02 said:

Quite false, Brannen has leverage to get what he is deserved, his full buyout amount.  Brannen got a raw deal and yes, there are fans who do care about him and the way he was treated.  Pay up UC, you screwed the guy, honor the contract.  

I am no expert on these employment contracts but it seems to me from afar that UC will have a tough time proving "for cause."   I say this because IMO most for cause terminations seem to be for NCAA violations, financial dishonesty, acts of moral turpitude, sexual dalliances, etc.     I don't know either the specifics of his contract or specifically how he is alleged to have violated it but I have not read or heard any compelling evidence or even innuendo that would connect Bannen to the types of violations mentioned above.  If I were a betting man, I would say that UC will have to pay the man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bjknku02 said:

2 minutes ago, tcjkbt said:

I am no expert on these employment contracts but it seems to me from afar that UC will have a tough time proving "for cause."   I say this because IMO most for cause terminations seem to be for NCAA violations, financial dishonesty, acts of moral turpitude, sexual dalliances, etc.     I don't know either the specifics of his contract or specifically how he is alleged to have violated it but I have not read or heard any compelling evidence or even innuendo that would connect Bannen to the types of violations mentioned above.  If I were a betting man, I would say that UC will have to pay the man.

I am not talking about the legal aspect of the Brannen situation. Yes there can be legal leveraged there for Brannen. What I am referring to is in the media  public pressure and the general view point of the UC program. Brannen lost all leverage for the vast majority of the public and the media when they signed Miller. What happens with Brannen's contract is now a side show. There will be news stories when news happens on the contract but UC, it's boosters and it's fans have now moved on and are focused on the Miller era 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjknku02 said:

This is a Wes Miller thread. If you wanna talk about John Brannen, take it to the other thread.

90% of UC fans have moved on and could care less about John Brannen. Until he is able to provide facts to support he was relieved of his duties without cause, comments like yours are nothing but speculation and opinion. An investigation was launched and the findings were verified at multiple levels. He is no longer the coach at the University of Cincinnati for a reason and it isn't because he got a raw deal.

Moving on....

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

All three have said they're open to staying and want to hear what the new coach has to say before making any decisions.

Saunders was supposed to announce his new destination today.

He spoke to Miller last night on the phone and had a zoom meeting with him today. After the zoom meeting he posted that he will no longer be committing today and stay tuned. 

Also took down the tweet announcing he was leaving UC.

Mason Madsen was asked what the word was by a UC fan after UC announced Miller as new coach and he responded "Love Wes Miller. That's the word." 

Eason has been in Cincinnati this whole time playing pick up with current and former UC players so doesn't seem like he's in a rush to leave and head home to Seattle. I haven't seen or heard anything about potential destinations for him but Terry Nelson was on with Lance and talked about Eason loving Cincy and the opportunities it provides both on and off the court.

There's a team meeting today at 3... Guessing if Eason and Madsen attend (Saunders is home in Indy), that's a good indication they're staying. 

2 hours ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Very good hire for UC. Wonder if any of his players will follow him? Miller needs to get a series going with KY and NC annually.

Why with KY? I guess the money would be good, but St. Cal is NEVER going to agree to a home and home, not even a 2 for 1. I believe UC has played UNC in the recent past. I don't think there is any battle for the same recruits and greater Cincinnati UK fans think UC is not relevant. 

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Why with KY? I guess the money would be good, but St. Cal is NEVER going to agree to a home and home, not even a 2 for 1. I believe UC has played UNC in the recent past. I don't think there is any battle for the same recruits and greater Cincinnati UK fans think UC is not relevant. 

Like to see KY and UC play in Football and Basketball. Rotate between IU, UC, WVA. Pull for the Bearcats when they aren’t playing KY.