All "A" State Tournament - FORMAT CHANGE

Due to the winter storm passing through Central Kentucky,, the All "A" State Tournament scheduled to begin on Monday, February 15th, has pushed back and consolidated the schedule. 

Walton-Verona now plays Somerset on Tuesday, at 6:30pm

Robertson County plays Harlan Thursday at 2pm

St. Henry takes on Owensboro Catholic Thursday at 4:30pm

Here is the link to the complete All "A" State Boys Tournament:

https://allaclassic.org/State Brackets/2021 Boys State Brackets.pdf  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 2021 All At; State Tournament Has Now Been Cancelled

This announcement came at 12:10pm, just 80 minutes prior to tip-off of the opening game, scheduled for 1:30pm

It came in the form of a one line release:

"THE 2021 All "A" Classic is cancelled. Thank you for your patience and understanding." 

1 minute ago, Mustang said:

"THE 2021 All "A" Classic is cancelled. Thank you for your patience and understanding." 

I know it’s something of a skeleton crew but their media output is not good. They take forever to update regional brackets, website looks like it was made 20 years ago and never touched again, and then these releases during a major storm have been awful. I mean, seriously, that above is their release? Come on. 

For what it's worth, here are the latest RPI figures for each of the 16 regional winners, with overall state rankings in parentheses:

Walton-Verona (62) .582 vs. Somerset (35) .629

Washington County (71) .572 vs. West Carter (98) .547

Lyon County (21) .649 vs. Kentucky Country Day (173) .457

Evangel Christian (168) .472 vs. Clinton County (28) .636

Pikeville (37) .627 vs. Knott County Central (59) .590

Murray (90) .553 vs. Lexington Christian (58) .590

Robertson County (94) .550 vs. Harlan (41) .620

St. Henry (9) .701 vs. Owensboro Catholic (33) .632

In defense of the All "A" communications shortcomings, Mike Reeves is a one-man Media Department.  He also serves as the Operations Manager among other things, and runs the website..

At 9am a statement was issued that the schedule would be played as revised with the first game getting underway at 1:30pm.  All appeared to be in order.

Things must have changed dramatically between 9am and 12:10pm when the cancellation statement was released.  The things that I know are that Owensboro Catholic chose not to come, and there were transportation issues with West Carter.. Rumors are that the State Police became involved in transportation matters.

At least one game was played despite the tournament being cancelled.  I assume it will count as a regular season game played at EKU.  The Bethlehem Girls defeated Walton-Verona 57-37.

I will give the "A" Committee kudos for at least trying to provide this tournament despite the Covid and the fact that the 2A pulled the plug, at the onset of the season.  These folks are good people with the best interest of the Class A schools and their student athletes who participate in the "A" Tournament and the related "A" activities.  Unfortunately, with the second shoe being the weather experienced and that predicted for the remainder of the week, proved too much for "A" Committee to overcome.  

• Like 4