Covington Catholic 40 Conner 0

1 hour ago, CCHFC said:

1. If you can't throw the ball, it's going to be a tough night going against the CCH defense. The 3 DL and 2 inside linebackers (Jones and Sullivan) are, me eyeballing since size isn't listed on the roster, probably around 6'2-6'4 and 215-250 lbs each. That's pretty big at the HS level. You have to have a TON of speed to run the ball or have to have a good passing game in order to consistently move the ball. The run defense will keep us in every game this year. 

2. Hopefully Stegman isn't too banged up, I saw him hobble off the field tonight. He's a really good player and we need him down the stretch. 

3. Caleb played really well last night, extending plays with his size and athleticism is a big value add for the offense and I didn't expect his rushing production this year. I honestly think he's their best option when they run. 

4. Reardon should be a mismatch against most teams all year with his size and speed. Not a great option underneath, but vertically he's a tough cover. 

CCH usually does not go heavy  on the D-line. Here were the starters for CCH last year:

DE Carter Martin 6'2" 200

Nose Zach Allen 5'11" 225

DE John Lawrie 6'3" 190

The backups were Trevor Wilson 188, Luke Stegman 202 and Ben Dickhaus 222. 

On last year's roster, Aiden Jones 185 and David Sullivan 209.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YOUTH2019 said:

Brayden Collins looked really good at tailback.  Kid ran really hard and would love to see more of him in the future. 

Definitely became a stronger, more confident runner, as the game progressed. Did a nice job stepping in and stepping up!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

CCH usually does not go heavy  on the D-line. Here were the starters for CCH last year:

DE John Lawrie 6'3" 190

Covcath likes to exagerate the weight of players by 30 pds. This was the case when I was there 25+ years ago. Nothing new. CCH players are never huge like Ohio or Texas players. As long as they're disciplined, fit, fast, and do their job at whatever position they play then everything will be fine. 

1 minute ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Covcath likes to exagerate the weight of players by 30 pds. This was the case when I was there 25+ years ago. Nothing new. CCH players are never huge like Ohio or Texas players. As long as they're disciplined, fit, fast, and do their job at whatever position they play then everything will be fine. 

I don't know about exagerating weight but I agree with the rest of this. That is why I listed the weights of last year's players above. Cov Cath rarely has heavy defensive linemen. 

31 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't know about exagerating weight but I agree with the rest of this. That is why I listed the weights of last year's players above. Cov Cath rarely has heavy defensive linemen. 

Not huge D lineman for CCH typically, you are correct. This year they are pretty good size but not huge. 

Dickhaus 6’4” 235

Stegman 6’1” 220

Wilson     6’4” 220

4 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

Not huge D lineman for CCH typically, you are correct. This year they are pretty good size but not huge. 

Dickhaus 6’4” 235

Stegman 6’1” 220

Wilson     6’4” 220

Looks like they all picked up 15 pounds plus, which is a testimony to their off season work. Wilson gained over 30 pounds in the past year. This is a big d-line by CCH standards.

6 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Dave is a good guy, and while he is admittedly feisty and emotional, calling a person "a zero" is tough.  People get caught up in the moment, you see it at high school basketball games 2x a week where coaches and players "exchange conversation", and while it is 100% wrong on the coach's end, it isn't fatal.  Dave has been a hard-nosed, tough-minded dude since grade school, and while always willing to "walk the walk", he truly is a good dude.  He has never been great at losing, so while disappointed he was whoofing at Colonels last night, not horribly shocked.  Again, is it a bad look?  Sure.  Is it AWFUL?  Probably not.  Not like he was working a chain gang, as an adult, and flipped off another man over a h.s. football game...now that is embarrassing.  😇

I don't believe I said he was a zero?  

21 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

DE John Lawrie 6'3" 190

Thanks for this. My guess is all those are up 10-20 lbs. My man Trevor looks like he’s up a little more than that 😂

Anyway we’re tough to run the ball against in between the tackles because of those guys. 

13 hours ago, CCHFC said:

Thanks for this. My guess is all those are up 10-20 lbs. My man Trevor looks like he’s up a little more than that 😂

Anyway we’re tough to run the ball against in between the tackles because of those guys. 

You are right. As someone posted above they all have gained weight. As I noted, that is heavier than most CCH d-lines.

You bring up a point that I have been wanting to post. The CCH defense is always very tough and they don't get nearly enough recognition. I would even say the defense deserves more credit for Cov Cath's success in the Eviston era than the offense. Everyone wants to lavish praise on the offense, and they do deserve praise. Eviston has his system that is proven. However, these blowout wins in the past few years are due more to the defense than the offense IMO. When the defense keeps getting three and outs and handing the offense great field position, it makes the job much, much easier for the offense. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

You bring up a point that I have been wanting to post. The CCH defense is always very tough and they don't get nearly enough recognition. I would even say the defense deserves more credit for Cov Cath's success in the Eviston era than the offense. Everyone wants to lavish praise on the offense, and they do deserve praise. Eviston has his system that is proven. However, these blowout wins in the past few years are due more to the defense than the offense IMO. When the defense keeps getting three and outs and handing the offense great field position, it makes the job much, much easier for the offense. 

Depends on the year. The 2015 and 2016 defenses were not juggernauts. The 2017 team went up and down the field, put up a lot of points, and left teams shell shocked. The defense was solid, but made quick work of offenses in passing mode trying to keep up. Once other teams were in known passing situations, the blitzes became much more effective. 

I do agree the past two seasons the defense has been solid, which is made all the more impressive since the Colonels didn't return many starters on that side of the ball this year.

53 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Depends on the year. The 2015 and 2016 defenses were not juggernauts. The 2017 team went up and down the field, put up a lot of points, and left teams shell shocked. The defense was solid, but made quick work of offenses in passing mode trying to keep up. Once other teams were in known passing situations, the blitzes became much more effective. 

I do agree the past two seasons the defense has been solid, which is made all the more impressive since the Colonels didn't return many starters on that side of the ball this year.

I don't know the stats for the other years, but in 2017 Cov Cath defense was #1 in the entire state in points allowed (7.7 point allowed per game).

I think if we could see the stats for 2015 and 2016, Cov Cath defense would be top 5 in the state in 5A. 

21 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I think if we could see the stats for 2015 and 2016, Cov Cath defense would be top 5 in the state in 5A. 

In 2015 CovCath was 17th in the state in 5A scoring defense.

In 2016 CovCath was 16th in the state in 5A scoring defense.

Those defenses had trouble consistently stopping the run.

Heaven help me, I watched a few CovCath games over the years.

• Thanks 1