What will the Big 12 do?

swamprat

I think there is another option that is probably the most likely option for the Big 12. Play 10 conference games and you play a “rival” twice. So Texas/ OU, TCU/Baylor, Kansas/Kansas St., Texas Tech/ Iowa State, Oklahoma State/West Virginia. I don’t think the Big 12 wants to be the only conference that plays an OOC game. 

14 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Louisville try to add a Big 12 team. 

My understanding is that if they have contracted OOC games on their schedules they can cancel excess games without violating the contract under an "Act of God" type clause, but cannot replace them with other opponents. 

If they already have OOC games on their schedule that have not been cancelled by other conference actions (SEC, Big 10, PAC12), cancelling an existing OOC game in favor of a replacement violates the "Act of God" provision of a contracted game. The Big 12 school would have to pay out at that point. I don't see that happening. Even Texas.

For example, Texas can either play USF or UTEP. If they play UTEP, they do not have to pay the buyout clause of the USF contract. If they decide to schedule Louisville and cancel both the USF and UTEP games, they will have to pay each school the contracted buyout. In USF's case, that about $2.5 million. I don't know what UTEP agreed to.

Everybody, get Texas to schedule you!!! I want my season ticket money back. 🙂

• Thanks 1