Fired officer in George Floyd case arrested

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I think manslaughter or murder 3rd is the most likely charge to be convicted on. This will not be the slamdunk case that everyone thinks, if it goes to trial any outcome is possible.

Here is the issue - a knee in the back (or neck) is not an uncommon detainment action it seems from seeing on other videos. And its used regardless of race as show below.

Example screenshot of a video:

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 1.44.23 PM.png

Not saying its right - but it shows this technique is used elsewhere and this was no just some rogue, isolated incident apparently.

Here is the issue - a knee in the back (or neck) is not an uncommon detainment action it seems from seeing on other videos. And its used regardless of race as show below.

Example screenshot of a video:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70525[/ATTACH]

Not saying its right - but it shows this technique is used elsewhere and this was no just some rogue, isolated incident apparently.

The knee itself isn't the issue. It's the longevity and disregard for life.

Derek Chauvin.jpg

Derek Chauvin

- 19yr veteran of the Minneapolis Police Department

- 13 complaints have been filed with the MPD about Officer Chauvin, with the first dating back to 2003. None of the complaints have resulted in disciplinary action being taken.

- Has been involved in multiple police-involved shootings in his career.

- Was formerly also employed as off-duty officer at the former El Nuevo Rodeo club in Minneapolis, as was George Floyd. The club owner reported that she was unaware whether or not the two knew one another, but that she had to reprimand Chauvin frequently for having a "real short fuse." She also noted that Chauvin over-used his mace/pepper spray on the job in situations where it was "unwarranted."

- Another former co-worker from the El Nuevo Rodeo club has confirmed to the press that Chauvin and Floyd knew one another while working at the club, and that the two "bumped heads" while working club security together.

Tou Thao.jpg

Tou Thao

-Has served with the Minneapolis Police Department since 2009, with the exception of a 2-year layoff in 2010 & 2011.

- 6 complaints have been filed with the MPD about Officer Thao. None of the complaints have resulted in disciplinary action being taken.

- A 2014 arrest resulted in a 2017 lawsuit against Officer Thao and another officer, Robert Thunder, for excessive use of force. The complaint claimed that Officer Thao stopped and searched two individuals without cause, resulting in the arrest of one of the individuals, Mr. Lamar Ferguson. It alleged that Officer Thao threw Ferguson to the ground and began punching him while Officer Thunder kicked him. Thao acknowledged punching Ferguson, claiming that Ferguson's hand came out of an unshackled handcuff. The matter resulted in a $25,000 out-of-court settlement.

J Alexander Kueng.jpg

J. Alexander Kueng

- Former student/campus security officer at the University of Minnesota.

- Member of the Minneapolis Police Department since February 2019, and was still in on-the-job training at the time of the arrest of George Floyd.

- First officer to respond to the police call reporting George Floyd for attempting to pass a counterfeit $20 bill. Officer Kueng is also confirmed to have been the officer who checked for George Floyd's pulse as Officer Chauvin knelt on Floyd's wrist. Kueng was unable to find Floyd's pulse, and told the other officers, "I couldn't find one."

Thomas Lane.jpg

Thomas Lane

- Member of the Minneapolis Police Department since February 2019, and was still in training at the time of the arrest of George Floyd - Officer Lane's 4th day on patrol as an on-the-job trainee.

- Officer Lane is confirmed to have been the officer who asked the others, "Should we roll him on his side?" The response from Officer Chauvin was, "No. Staying put where we got him." Then Officer Lane told Officer Chauvin that he was "worried about excited delirium or whatever," to which Officer Chauvin replied, "That's why we have him on his stomach."

- Shortly after George Floyd became non-responsive, Officer Lane suggested "Want to roll him on his side?" After that point, Officer Kueng checked for Floyd's pulse.

The knee itself isn't the issue. It's the longevity and disregard for life.

Agreed. I have seen many many restraints. When you are dealing with a very violent person, sometimes knees go where they shouldn’t, in order to get someone down and prevent people from getting hurt. However, it should NEVER be on a neck. Chests and backs, sometimes are unavoidable, but it should be VERY brief.

George Floy was not violent. Ther was zero reason for them to be on top of him like that.

Derek Chauvin

- 19yr veteran of the Minneapolis Police Department

- 13 complaints have been filed with the MPD about Officer Chauvin, with the first dating back to 2003. None of the complaints have resulted in disciplinary action being taken.

- Has been involved in multiple police-involved shootings in his career.

- Was formerly also employed as off-duty officer at the former El Nuevo Rodeo club in Minneapolis, as was George Floyd. The club owner reported that she was unaware whether or not the two knew one another, but that she had to reprimand Chauvin frequently for having a "real short fuse." She also noted that Chauvin over-used his mace/pepper spray on the job in situations where it was "unwarranted."

- Another former co-worker from the El Nuevo Rodeo club has confirmed to the press that Chauvin and Floyd knew one another while working at the club, and that the two "bumped heads" while working club security together.

The fact that Derek Chauvin was still a cop is a perfect example of what's wrong with policing in America.

The fact that Derek Chauvin was still a cop is a perfect example of what's wrong with policing in America.

Let me start by saying I AM NOT justifying Chauvin "still (being) a cop," I just wanted to provide some context on how "complaints" work and the dynamics that go into it.

Complaints can be something egregious, but it can also be something minor as being late for work or a completely unfounded complaint. Not sure where CWB posted his info from, but I saw he had 17 complaints and 2 reprimands which is another way of saying disciplined. When an officer receives a complaint, it is investigated and either substantiated or unsubstantiated. If substantiated by the PD, the typical MO is for the Union to grieve it where it is negotiated down a level ("levels" meaning oral, written, suspension, demotion, and termination). Not exactly sure how MPD does it, but based on the numbers, my guess it is like anything else, it is probably something in-between. Looks as if MPD keeps records of any "complaint" (which is not required), so I suspect half of those are on the minor or unfounded level such as a caller saying "this officer was rude to me when I got a speeding ticket," the other half were more serious that were massaged by the Union. It is important to note Minnesota is a very pro-Union state.

Yeah, one of the things that I'd like to see come out of this, is that there's a change in the way complaints are handled. Even if you have the most conscientious and honorable person doing the investigation...it's just bad optics to only have someone within the department being in charge of the evaluation/punishment of someone else within the department. If the complaint is truly unjust and should be tossed, then it should be able to withstand outside scrutiny.

Off the top of my head, I think having a panel comprised of representatives of law enforcement, the city/county/state (of whichever level the LEO represents), and the public, would present a more well rounded view. But, I doubt the union is just going to give their authority away like that. There may be other obstacles blocking that as well, idk.

Yeah, one of the things that I'd like to see come out of this, is that there's a change in the way complaints are handled. Even if you have the most conscientious and honorable person doing the investigation...it's just bad optics to only have someone within the department being in charge of the evaluation/punishment of someone else within the department. If the complaint is truly unjust and should be tossed, then it should be able to withstand outside scrutiny.

Off the top of my head, I think having a panel comprised of representatives of law enforcement, the city/county/state (of whichever level the LEO represents), and the public, would present a more well rounded view. But, I doubt the union is just going to give their authority away like that. There may be other obstacles blocking that as well, idk.

The Union doesn't come into play unless disciplined is given to an officer. Not sure they would have much say on a how an investigation is to take place. They have their own Internal Affairs division that conducts investigations. PDs also hire out to other agencies if the situation warrants. For example this case going to the BCA.

Let me start by saying I AM NOT justifying Chauvin "still (being) a cop," I just wanted to provide some context on how "complaints" work and the dynamics that go into it.

Complaints can be something egregious, but it can also be something minor as being late for work or a completely unfounded complaint. Not sure where CWB posted his info from, but I saw he had 17 complaints and 2 reprimands which is another way of saying disciplined. When an officer receives a complaint, it is investigated and either substantiated or unsubstantiated. If substantiated by the PD, the typical MO is for the Union to grieve it where it is negotiated down a level ("levels" meaning oral, written, suspension, demotion, and termination). Not exactly sure how MPD does it, but based on the numbers, my guess it is like anything else, it is probably something in-between. Looks as if MPD keeps records of any "complaint" (which is not required), so I suspect half of those are on the minor or unfounded level such as a caller saying "this officer was rude to me when I got a speeding ticket," the other half were more serious that were massaged by the Union. It is important to note Minnesota is a very pro-Union state.

I pulled from about a dozen different articles from the usual suspects: LA Times, NY Times, CNN, Fox News, Daily Mirror, etc.

It's not a bad idea but it's hard to keep everyone happy. There are a lot of frivolous complaints that are sorted out in literally a matter of minutes. However some folks will say that ANY complaint no matter how small, should go to a review panel and that's really not practical. If it's excessive force, someones rights being violated etc then yes I agree a review panel seems fitting. Some of the bigger departments across the country have procedures like this in place. It's certainly a balancing act though.