Fired officer in George Floyd case arrested

At worst, the officer was attempting to further terrorism. At best, he's on a power trip & was out of control. I think the terrorism argument is really, really difficult to prove. I wouldn't want to have to prove it.

I think we would need to know Minnesota's legal definition of terrorism first. I'd say that would be very difficult to prove in court.

I agree with both of you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know many people will be upset that he isn't being charged with 1st degree murder but I feel like you're rolling the dice there and he could be that.

Isn't that what happen with the office on UC campus. They swung for the fences with 1st degree and then didn't get it?

Can't the potentially charge you with two different degrees at once? Like they could charge him with 2nd & 3rd degree murder? If they find him not guilty on the 2nd, they can still find him guilty on the 3rd?

Some states allow that, others don't.

The preliminary results of George Floyd's autopsy suggest there were a number of factors that contributed to the 46-year-old's death. The report, conducted by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner, states there were "no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation"; however, the combined effects of being pinned down by an officer as well as "his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death."

I don’t think the above even matters, anyone else?

The preliminary results of George Floyd's autopsy suggest there were a number of factors that contributed to the 46-year-old's death. The report, conducted by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner, states there were "no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation"; however, the combined effects of being pinned down by an officer as well as "his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death."

I don't think it matters.

Imagine if there wasn't any video, the defense would say he didn't strangle him and that it was a perfect storm that caused the death and it would be very tough to prove otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt.

Nope. Especially since the charging document says that one of the officers checked Mr. Floyd’s pulse, reported that he couldn’t find one and then the other officer REMAINED ON HIS NECK for nearly two minutes.

I know many people will be upset that he isn't being charged with 1st degree murder but I feel like you're rolling the dice there and he could be that.

Isn't that what happen with the office on UC campus. They swung for the fences with 1st degree and then didn't get it?

I'm not sure, but I think that incident was closer to first degree than this one.

This is the case on probably 99% of any convictions or plea deals across the country, unfortunately.

Sure seems that way.

Even that woman Susan Smith that put her kids in the car and backed it into the lake, drowning them, is eligible for parole in the near future. Two kids killed, plus she lied to police saying that a black man had kidnapped them and drove off.