Corona Virus and Education

Beechwoodfan

Children have been home schooled for a month now and likely will not return for this school year. I know teachers are doing their best, but I cannot imagine that the quality of education is what it normally would be. I am sure some parents are more diligent than others.

I am curious to hear from parents about their experiences. What has been good? What has been bad? I know one parent who had a child taking Spanish and she had no idea how to help him. Do you think your child is ready to move up a grade?

Teachers, what frustrates you most? Do you feel that most of your students are ready to move up to the next grade? Will your incoming children be prepared? How will things be different when kids finally come back? What have you learned and what would you do differently in the awful case that something like this might happen again? How do you handle the kids who come from more at risk homes? By at risk, I mean those kids who come from a less than ideal home situation.

It seems like schools shut down so quickly that teachers and parents had to move fast to put something in place. How did you adjust so quickly?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some if not all schools in Kentucky will be in session on site for at least a few days this school year, perhaps as long as two-three weeks for some schools.

If that happens, there will be time for in class assessments about how the students did during online school.

I think some if not all schools in Kentucky will be in session on site for at least a few days this school year, perhaps as long as two-three weeks for some schools.

If that happens, there will be time for in class assessments about how the students did during online school.

So you believe that schools will be back in session in Kentucky in May? Find that hard to believe when colleges are doing online for summer classes and not on site. Hate to be the superintendent who makes the wrong call on starting school too early. If back in school, can spring sports have an abbreviated season in May & June. Hope your right, but I have my doubts.

We have 3 4th graders and a college senior. It certainly has been an adjustment for us. We have approx. 3 hours of school each day that my wife and I manage together. I will say that the daily communications from the teachers have helped a lot. We still have morning announcements with the pledge and "theme" days to keep things as "normal" as possible.

Its been really tough for us since we are still working 8-12 hours a day, then come home and play teacher as well as get everyone fed. It's not too bad for our oldest kids, one is a senior and the other is a junior in high school, as they are able to do their work on their own, we just check over it and help them when needed.

Its a different story for our 2nd grade daughter though. At that age her brain is still like a sponge but needs proper instruction to learn everything properly. Obviously we know how to do her work but teaching it and getting her to learn it has been a different story and we simply don't have enough time in the day to teach her properly, that would be different if we weren't both working longer hours than normal. We actually hired a tudor for her to come 4 days a week, but as the virus has progressed and cases went up the tudor and we agreed to put that on hold as well. I'm worried that my daughter may not be ready for the 3rd grade, but at this point in time there isn't a lot I can do about it. The homeschooling has honestly effected us more than any other aspect of this virus.

My daughter is a teacher, and she mentioned yesterday, that there really is no way to tell how the kids are doing. She says she has kids who struggled all year with grades who are now getting 100's on everything.

With many school districts scheduled to be done by the end of the 3rd week of May, and everything shut down until May 1st, I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where schools will go back to normal for this school year.

So you believe that schools will be back in session in Kentucky in May? Find that hard to believe when colleges are doing online for summer classes and not on site. Hate to be the superintendent who makes the wrong call on starting school too early. If back in school, can spring sports have an abbreviated season in May & June. Hope your right, but I have my doubts.

I saw a website projecting Kentucky's "curve" and the decline begins at the end of April. By the middle of May Kentucky would be using 50% fewer beds than at the peak. Kentucky would be 30% of capacity on ICU beds and less than 10% of total hospital bed capacity with both declining to less than 5% by June 1.

We need to watch Ohio numbers this week to check accuracy of that site. They are showing Ohio's peak is tomorrow. If Ohio numbers go down this week, that supports the website's projections.

Edited by Voice of Reason

Since no states have resumed school yet and more are closing, I think there's little chance of restarting school this year. The good news is that schools were about 75% or more done anyway, so this interrupted the tail end of the calendar rather than somewhere in the middle. I just don't think any place wants to be the first to reopen, see a surge of new cases, and the deal with any legal hassles around that. I also think it could be likely that teachers, especially those with at-risk spouses (or maybe at great risk themselves), will fight having to report. And yes, the projections have us flattening the curve, but those projections assume that our social distancing measures remain in place. Remove that and you can see a spike.

My bigger question is how this could affect next school year if there is another surge of the virus in the fall.

I saw a website projecting Kentucky's "curve" and the decline begins at the end of April. By the middle of May Kentucky would be using 50% fewer beds than at the peak. Kentucky would be 30% of capacity on ICU beds and less than 10% of total hospital bed capacity with both declining to less than 5% by June 1.

We need to watch Ohio numbers this week to check accuracy of that site. They are showing Ohio's peak is tomorrow. If Ohio numbers go down this week, that supports the website's projections.

I understand that, and again I hope that the state can open up schools, but do you think that social distancing will be gone by the middle of May? If that is still in place, I can’t see schools going back. Also most schools are out by mid May with the skipping of spring break by some districts. Is it really worth schools going back for a week or 2?