Corona Virus and Education

Beechwoodfan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no safer group to begin the restart with than students 18 and under. A one or two week wrap up the school year session is a good first step towards "normal".

We have people wanting to shove the older folks under the bus, now we're throwing the younger ones under it.

Really? It's not the kids I'm worrying about becoming infected in the first place. It's an infected kid coming home and spending time with grandma. Mark it down...there will be no school that comes back for just a week in May. Doubtful there will be any that come back for two weeks in May. The only schools that might come back, are going to be those that were supposed to go into June in the first place. And only then would I even approach 50-50 odds of it happening.

Agreed. My nephew stays with my mom and step-dad throughout the week, both of whom are in their 60's and definitely well into the high risk group. Nephew would not be staying with them if they returned to school in a month without a vaccine or treatment for my parents.

What is the threshold for the restart?

Should we wait until there is a treatment or vaccine?

I think we have another thread for that discussion.

I was asking those questions in reference to schools specifically. I should have put that into my original post. Perhaps that is still off track?

Grandma will not be safe till there is a treatment. If that is what we are waiting on, we are at the mercy of science till who kniws when ... 2021?

I was asking those questions in reference to schools specifically. I should have put that into my original post. Perhaps that is still off track?

What is the threshold for the restart?

Should we wait until there is a treatment or vaccine?

A Harvard research team just suggested 2022 and made reference to 2024:

Researchers from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health have warned that, in the absence of a vaccine or an effective treatment of the coronavirus, social-distancing measures may be required through to 2022.

A Harvard research team just suggested 2022 and made reference to 2024:

Researchers from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health have warned that, in the absence of a vaccine or an effective treatment of the coronavirus, social-distancing measures may be required through to 2022.

Keeping this focused on education in this thread, does that mean no school for the next year or so?

Keeping this focused on education in this thread, does that mean no school for the next year or so?

I would say that means next year (2020 school year), the year after (2021), the year after that (2022), and maybe even the year after that...

I wonder how many high schoolers have looked around and determined what an “essential” job is now. I wonder if more kids will go into trades.

I don't know if that's going to make a big difference for most, since in reality, most already have plans in place for their post graduate plan.