State: Discharge Holmes school council

State: Discharge Holmes council, Auditors criticize school after poor academic rank

COVINGTON - Holmes Junior Senior High School has done so little to improve student performance that its school-based council should be stripped of its authority, state auditors told the Covington School Board Thursday.

That's never happened in Kentucky before. This is the first year that a state law allowing such action can be applied.

The auditors will recommend to the state commissioner of education that the council be set aside. If the commissioner and state Board of Education concur, management of the school will be turned over to either Covington Superintendent Jack Moreland or to a state consultant assigned to Holmes.

For the benefits of the students, I hope that some good comes of this.

WOW!

It seems the 8th grade is a big problem. The article indicated that it is housed at Holmes because there is not enough room at Two Rivers to house them.

Not to rankle anybody on here, but it is a mess down there from what I understand. The lack of parental involvement is astounding.

Not enough. They need to clean house from the BOE on down through all the administrators. This school system has been on a force march to Mediocrity. Handing the keys to the Superintendent or anyone else in administration is a recipe for disaster.

Not enough. They need to clean house from the BOE on down through all the administrators. This school system has been on a force march to Mediocrity. Handing the keys to the Superintendent or anyone else in administration is a recipe for disaster.

Exactly how bad do they need to clean house? I always thought they were a decent school district........Or at least I thought until now.

Exactly how bad do they need to clean house? I always thought they were a decent school district........Or at least I thought until now.

They were. They used to have kids come from all over to attend IB classes. For about the past 4 years theres been a move to kill IB and diminish AP. They've also made moves to get rid of ROTC. When my oldest son went there they had a great bunch of teachers in the gifted programs. Now, with a few exceptions, the teachers are barely able to teach the advanced classes. As long as my kids have been there, they have always underserved the traditional student. Now they underserve everyone, with maybe the exception of the alternative school. They also have a great on-campus vocational school. I only hope that they don't also destroy that to save money.

I thought Moreland was a great hire at first, after a long line of poor superintendants. As one of the creators of KERA, he has done nothing to improve the school system besides dummy down the classrooms. Like KERA, it seems they spend more time on non-educational issues than the 3Rs.

They were. They used to have kids come from all over to attend IB classes. For about the past 4 years theres been a move to kill IB and diminish AP. They've also made moves to get rid of ROTC. When my oldest son went there they had a great bunch of teachers in the gifted programs. Now, with a few exceptions, the teachers are barely able to teach the advanced classes. As long as my kids have been there, they have always underserved the traditional student. Now they underserve everyone, with maybe the exception of the alternative school. They also have a great on-campus vocational school. I only hope that they don't also destroy that to save money.

I thought Moreland was a great hire at first, after a long line of poor superintendants. As one of the creators of KERA, he has done nothing to improve the school system besides dummy down the classrooms. Like KERA, it seems they spend more time on non-educational issues than the 3Rs.

Every school has its day when they go through bad times. With KERA it basically is down hill, all I ever heard was that it destroyed schools and teachers because of the large requirements. KERA is like NCLB, no improvement-shut down, improvement-no reward. On his Resume' he probably put "creator of KERA" on it, making him look all ingenious, and that is why they hired him.

But with Ludlow in financial trouble, Newport in drug related trouble, and now Covington with this, this is crazy. Next it may be Erlanger-Elsmere, Beechwood, Dayton or someother school.

I've always heard that about the school. I've also thought it presented a great opportunity to the students who go there. I think a combination of poor leadership and a lack of community involvement is the problem, from what I've read so far.

Does Covington have a plan to get themselves on track?

Not on subject but what is Ludlow going to do with what little $$$ they have left for this year without going into the hole?

If the state/feds are so worried about test scores, why not look to the past when the U.S. was ranked 1st in the world for education?

IB=International Baccalaureate

AP= Advance Placement (I had to put it just to look smart);)

At the risk of sounding completely uneducated, what is an International Baccalaureate program?

Is it designed to teach students about international issues, or something along those lines?

Domestically fine, internationally challenged,

Frances

At the risk of sounding completely uneducated, what is an International Baccalaureate program?

Is it designed to teach students about international issues, or something along those lines?

Domestically fine, internationally challenged,

Frances

It's AP on steroids. When my son took it the classes appeared equivalent to college freshmen honor classes.

There are 4 Ky schools that offer IB: Apollo, Atherton, Holmes and Sacred Heart.

In talking with a teacher from Holmes, it seems a lot of the issues are centered around the 8th grade class being on campus. Overcrowding of teenagers is never a good issue and it seems Holmes is right in the middle of overcrowding. Add in a large group of 13-14 year olds and you have a recipe for disaster.