Top Gun: Maverick (Summer 2020)

On 6/1/2022 at 2:20 PM, theguru said:

I agree.  Or the Tomahawk Missiles they used that could have easily accomplished the task or a multitude of other weapons that could have been used to hit a static target.  And if a plane had to be used it would have been the F22 and not an old F18.  But I understand it is all about making money and in that area they are going to kick tail and take names. 

The F-18 airframe is hardly an outdated dinosaur.  In fact, the latest generation just started being delivered in September. 

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2021/09/27/boeing-delivers-first-block-iii-super-hornets-to-the-us-navy/

I am sure some on the German battleship Bismark were laughing when attacked by cloth-covered bi-plane WWI-era Swordfish torpedo planes.  But in the end - they were not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really liked it, the opening of the movie hit all the right notes for me.

The "bad guys" I'm nearly sure were Iranians, as they are the only country in the world still flying Tomcats and would most assuredly build a complex like that to enrich uranium. 

• Like 1

The Darkstar Skunkworks jet in the first act of Top Gun Maverick may not be a real airplane, but it certainly looks the part—so much so that the Navy apparently told Top Gun’s producer, that China reoriented spy satellites to get a glimpse of the full-size mock-up they built for filming.

😆 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Babylon Bee nails it with the following headline:

Thrilling New Top Gun Sequel Shows Predator Drone Completing Same Mission In 30 Seconds

From the article:

"This is easily the most realistic Top Gun movie yet," said Navy pilot Ryan "Mayonnaise" Matthews. "It's a thirty-second thrill ride, wondering if the pilot will finish his bag of Doritos before the drone blows up the target."

"We replaced the bit characters with literal cardboard cutouts and managed to squeeze in the exact same character arc once again, with Maverick learning to let go of Goose for the third time. He's getting faster at it. Also, we still have a random person walk up and yell 'fifth-generation fighter!' every ten seconds."

At publishing time, the writer of the new sequel has been banished from friends and family for his apparent low view of Top Gun: Maverick, the greatest cinematic achievement since Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2.

https://babylonbee.com/news/amazing-new-top-gun-movie-shows-predator-drone-completing-same-mission-in-30-seconds

The Bee is refreshing for sure, sometimes it is hard to believe it is satire. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 6:08 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

If you have missed this movie, it will be streaming on Paramount+ starting December 21st.

I already bought it on Prime.  My daughter went to watch it in theaters with me and asked when we could watch it again, so I just bought it.  

• Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 6:08 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

If you have missed this movie, it will be streaming on Paramount+ starting December 21st.

I originally saw this a couple of months ago on a flight, and will definitely be watching again tonight since I have some free time. Sure it's not very believable, but it's a great story, and lots of fun. This will be one that I'll watch whenever I come across it on tv, just like the original.

• 3 months later...
On 3/27/2023 at 11:41 AM, theguru said:

Top Gun Maverick is now available on Amazon Prime.

notouch.jpg

I woke up Monday night around midnight, and saw this post.

Thanks to you I was up until 2:30-3:00, and groggy all day Tuesday!

• Haha 1

I honestly couldn't tell you how many times I've watched this movie since it became available on Prime.  Almost every weekend, either Friday or Saturday, in the early am hours I pour myself into bed and turn it on.  If I've been up less than 20 hours I usually watch it and sober up in the process.  If I'm running on fumes, I'm typically out around the time Maverick is getting tossed from the bar.

For some context, I was born in the 80's and Top Gun was my favorite movie. Growing up, we went through 3 VHS copies before I was able to finally buy a DVD copy.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I didn’t know it was on Prime, but now I’m logging in to watch it.

I purchased it on Prime when it first became available.  It is free on Paramount+.  So I've been watching it obsessively for well over 6 months now.  

• Like 2