Top Gun: Maverick (Summer 2020)

I watched a video of a Retired Naval Aviator this week, he said that as far as he's been told all flight sequences are real...no CGI.

Most of it yes, but there is a fair amount of CGI in it. Tom Cruise did fly in the back is a Super Hornet, just like he did in the original in the Tomcat, props to him for doing again, he’s the man. They have him in a clear visor to obviously show it’s Tom Cruise but that’s not the visor/helmet real pilots use.

Most of it yes, but there is a fair amount of CGI in it. Tom Cruise did fly in the back is a Super Hornet, just like he did in the original in the Tomcat, props to him for doing again, he’s the man. They have him in a clear visor to obviously show it’s Tom Cruise but that’s not the visor/helmet real pilots use.

Yeah, I know the visor/helmet is wrong. Some of the closeups may have CGI, most are with him actually in the back seat as you mentioned. All flight action is reportedly real and not CGI...according to an expert with knowledge of the subject.

Yeah, I know the visor/helmet is wrong. Some of the closeups may have CGI, most are with him actually in the back seat as you mentioned. All flight action is reportedly real and not CGI...according to an expert with knowledge of the subject.

No way the Navy would allow a pilot to split two planes like they portray in the film. That’s a major safety violation inside the bubble and the other planes wouldn’t rock, the way they do in the trailer.

I also don’t believe the Super Hornet pulled the Cobra maneuver like that (hitting the brakes and pulling up 90 to 120 degrees.) The Raptor could, but I don’t think the Navy allowed any Raptors in the film.

I think a fair amount is CGI/spliced, it’s still gonna be awesome to watch.

No way the Navy would allow a pilot to split two planes like they portray in the film. That’s a major safety violation inside the bubble and the other planes wouldn’t rock, the way they do in the trailer.

I also don’t believe the Super Hornet pulled the Cobra maneuver like that (hitting the brakes and pulling up 90 to 120 degrees.) The Raptor could, but I don’t think the Navy allowed any Raptors in the film.

I think a fair amount is CGI/spliced, it’s still gonna be awesome to watch.

According to Google a Super Hornet can perform a Cobra. Camera angles can make things look much closer than they really are.

According to Google a Super Hornet can perform a Cobra. Camera angles can make things look much closer than they really are.

The Super Hornet can do a variation of it but it can’t do it on a dime, as portrayed in the film. Only the Raptor can pull that off because it has thrust vector nozzles, which dramatically helps with the G heavy maneuver.

It looks like he gradually pulled up and they spliced the footage in, after he had it up.

I’m trying to figure out the space program aspect of it. Clearly, Maverick is going to fly some type of “Aurora” “Son of Blackbird” hypersonic reconnaissance plane in the film.

Whatever that thing is, it’s interesting propaganda for Russia and China, because we are developing something. At hypersonic speeds, in theory it will be able to traverse any continent in around an hour.

I’m trying to figure out the space program aspect of it. Clearly, Maverick is going to fly some type of “Aurora” “Son of Blackbird” hypersonic reconnaissance plane in the film.

Whatever that thing is, it’s interesting propaganda for Russia and China, because we are developing something. At hypersonic speeds, in theory it will be able to traverse any continent in around an hour.

Another possible plot hole is if it is an Aurora, 99.999% chance it would be either an Air Force or Skunk Works test pilot, not a Navy Pilot.