Top Gun: Maverick (Summer 2020)

14 hours ago, theguru said:

To add to the above, I just finished watching the original Top Gun on Netflix, there is no comparison between the two movies, Top Gun is a classic. 

There's no shot you think the first one is better than the second one. LOL

20 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

There's no shot you think the first one is better than the second one. LOL

LOL

There is no comparison between the two, the first one is somewhat believable and mostly a serious movie in addition to being a classic.  The second one is a joke with no basis in reality that scores some of its points with rehashes of the first one and frankly the plot in the second one would have started World War 3.  

Hey everyone, let's use a 45 year old plane to do a bunch of crazy dangerous stuff that we could handle with some drones in 20 minutes with none of the collateral damage.  Just stupid... 

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

LOL

There is no comparison between the two, the first one is somewhat believable and mostly a serious movie in addition to being a classic.  The second one is a joke with no basis in reality that scores some of its points with rehashes of the first one and frankly the plot in the second one would have started World War 3.  

Hey everyone, let's use a 45 year old plane to do a bunch of crazy dangerous stuff that we could handle with some drones in 20 minutes with none of the collateral damage.  Just stupid... 

I don't think a movie about drones would have made $156 million so far.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

LOL

I don't think we watched the same movie. 

What parts aren't based in reality? This is a movie, not a documentary, so I don't expect 100% "accuracy" in the events depicted. They didn't even use real flying scenes in the first one. 

Just now, nkypete said:

I don't think a movie about drones would have made $156 million so far.

I agree.  Or the Tomahawk Missiles they used that could have easily accomplished the task or a multitude of other weapons that could have been used to hit a static target.  And if a plane had to be used it would have been the F22 and not an old F18.  But I understand it is all about making money and in that area they are going to kick tail and take names. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I don't think we watched the same movie. 

What parts aren't based in reality? This is a movie, not a documentary, so I don't expect 100% "accuracy" in the events depicted. They didn't even use real flying scenes in the first one. 

I am pretty sure we watched the same movie.

For one, Mavericks' constant insubordination.  The Supersonic jet he blew up to start the movie would be a program the US had 100s of billions of dollars invested in at a minimum.  Using F18s for this mission, just no way.  Not using drones, funny how that is how the movie started with idea of drones being so superior.  Launching Tomahawk Missiles on a foreign airbase which would have certainly killed and injured many people starting WW3.  Current generation SAM missiles almost all missing planes developed in the 1970s.  5th generation aircraft struggling and losing to F18s and even a F14 Tomcat 😂.  Maverick getting in an F18 and flying the course without permission.  Forcing together Maverick and Goose's son in any high level military operation given their negative history.  The Carrier not being counter-attacked after starting WW3.  Iceman (apparently from his deathbed) magically assigning Maverick the position after destroying a gazillion dollar plane.  Maverick immediately being pulled off the project after Iceman passed away.  The new commander essentially telling the pilots there is a new plan a week out that will clearly result in their deaths.  The pilots all risking injury playing pickup football.  Stealing the F14 Tomcat and launching it on a taxi lane from the bombed airport.  Maverick and the other pilot not being hunted down and captured/killed once their planes were shot down.  Maverick getting the girl.  Okay, just kidding there in an attempt to lighten it back up.

2 hours ago, theguru said:

For one, Mavericks' constant insubordination.  The Supersonic jet he blew up to start the movie would be a program the US had 100s of billions of dollars invested in at a minimum.  Using F18s for this mission, just no way.  Not using drones, funny how that is how the movie started with idea of drones being so superior.  Launching Tomahawk Missiles on a foreign airbase which would have certainly killed and injured many people starting WW3.  Current generation SAM missiles almost all missing planes developed in the 1970s.  5th generation aircraft struggling and losing to F18s and even a F14 Tomcat 😂.  Maverick getting in an F18 and flying the course without permission.  Forcing together Maverick and Goose's son in any high level military operation given their negative history.  The Carrier not being counter-attacked after starting WW3.  Iceman (apparently from his deathbed) magically assigning Maverick the position after destroying a gazillion dollar plane.  Maverick immediately being pulled off the project after Iceman passed away.  The new commander essentially telling the pilots there is a new plan a week out that will clearly result in their deaths.  The pilots all risking injury playing pickup football.  Stealing the F14 Tomcat and launching it on a taxi lane from the bombed airport.  Maverick and the other pilot not being hunted down and captured/killed once their planes were shot down.  Maverick getting the girl.  Okay, just kidding there in an attempt to lighten it back up.

My response to all that…

…it’s a movie. 😂

4 hours ago, theguru said:

When the movie was in production the latest F18 was the standard plane for the Navy. F22's can't launch or land on a carrier. Today F35's could be used but 18's are still a large portion of the current deployment. 

I never believe the hype on other Chinese or Russian modern 5th gen jets. On paper they seem great but actually building and getting those planes ready for combat has been a huge struggle for both countries. 

Current US planes have electronics that can spoof SAMs, it's not a stretch that US planes can avoid them. They are trained and equipped to avoid SAMs. I'm sure the amount of SAMs fired in the movie were overwhelming thus your opinion that the US planes couldn't avoid them.

It's a movie and of course it's over the top. I've not seen it yet, but reviews of weapons over the years show me that the things that you mentioned are very possible, just maybe not probable in the scenario of the movie.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, theguru said:

LOL

Just came across this, and immediately thought of you. 

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, theguru said:

LOL

And while we're at it, Get Off My Lawn!

• Haha 1

The forum Siskel and Eberts are dead on - two thumbs up. 

I am willing to overlook the larceny of, not just one, but two, multi-million dollar aircraft.

Story-line  head-scratchier - Top Gun grads did not know who Pete Michelle was even though his picture is prominent in the facility with Admiral Ice. 

Story-line head-scratchier #2 - Top Gun grads do not know Rooster's back-story, especially those that seemed close to him like Phoenix. 

Technical error that I would take note of, though it did not detract from story - mask rule.  Rule is mask is on from engine start to engine stop.  No taking on and off in cockpit.  Also, would Bob be able to fly if he really wore glasses?  Wife raised that question.

1 hour ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Also, would Bob be able to fly if he really wore glasses?  Wife raised that question.

I had that same thought initially, but if I recall correctly he was never actually flying a plane was he.  He seemed to play the same role as Goose being confined to the back seat.  Maybe that makes a difference?