Dixie Heights - 2019 Schedule

I saw on the KHSAA site that Dixie put up a listing for a defensive coordinator on Wednesday. That job has been held for the last several years by Coach Nick Rice, who came to Dixie as an assistant in 2013 after being the head coach at Newport from 2009-2012.

Dixie is also looking for 2 position coaches, per the KHSAA jobs site. At one point I believe they had specifically been looking for a defensive backs coack, but the current listing says they can switch things around with position coaches dependent on the coaching speciality of whomever applies.

From what I've been told, Coach Brossart has a tough time retaining coaches on his staff. Especially coaches with much of any experience. Coach Rice is back with the Colonels though. Dave advertised the d-coordinator job online, ignored a couple of his assistants' inquiries about interviewing for the position, then went ahead and had Coach Rice come back as d-coordinator and lost the two assistants in the process. Including Brossart and Rice, I believe there are currently only 3 coaches on staff at Dixie Heights with more than a couple years of coaching experience. Doesn't sound like there's much coaching staff left, in general.

The phrase "good leadership inspires loyalty" pops into my head.

Brossart 20 years.

Young 10 years, with Brossart whole time.

Rice 15 years, 6 with Brossart.

Dalzell 20+ years, former HC.

Bosse 15 years, with Brossart whole time.

Machlit 20 years, with Brossart whole time.

Catchen 3 years all with Brossart, Dixie grad.

Cox, new with college experience, Dixie grad.

Allonce, new with college experience.

And a couple new guys, don't know the names.

Coach Rice has taken a principal job and will remain on staff. Currently training Scott Young to take over in the future.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13

Brossart 20 years.

Young 10 years, with Brossart whole time.

Rice 15 years, 6 with Brossart.

Dalzell 20+ years, former HC.

Bosse 15 years, with Brossart whole time.

Machlit 20 years, with Brossart whole time.

Catchen 3 years all with Brossart, Dixie grad.

Cox, new with college experience, Dixie grad.

Allonce, new with college experience.

And a couple new guys, don't know the names.

Coach Rice has taken a principal job and will remain on staff. Currently training Scott Young to take over in the future.

I said "I believe there are currently only 3 coaches", but I stand corrected on that portion of my statement. I just felt like I remembered a decent number of coaches with short stays on Coach Brossart's staff at Dixie Heights though. I know a couple of coaches left mid-season in 2018, including former "coaching buddy" Kevin Siple. Someone with that kind of connection leaving mid-season definitely makes me take pause. Then there are at least a couple more coaches who waited until mid-summer this year to make their exits because of how Coach Brossart handled things with the OC leaving, looking outside of his staff to hire a new OC, and then bringing the original OC back. Plus there's still an ad on the KHSAA site looking for assistant coaches at Dixie, so it seems like there's some kind of issue coming up with and retaining some coaches on staff.

I guess I just have to question what's going on at Dixie in general. They make it to the 6A state finals in 2014, then follow that up with a 3-9 season, a 6-6 season, a 3-8 season, and a 1-10 season. Tough not to start eventually directing your eyes to the man in charge when all of that program struggle is going down.

It was announced last week Coach Rice accepted a Vice Principal position in a Boone County school. Too busy to wear both hats I assume but even as a consultant, will be fine. Shouldn't be too much of a drop off they have coaches that have been in that defensive system a few years and some decent coaching additions on both sides of the ball. Looked good in 7on7 vs. Cooper and Ludlow.

Coach Cox I believe did a Grad assistant year coaching at the mount helping receivers. Coach Allonce is a former UC defensive end and looks like he could still put a hand on the ground and kill a QB. Coach Stewart last two seasons at Holmes as a defensive assistant under the new Dayton Defensive Coordinator. I know its early and the pads haven't come on, but it certainly looked like a team that is hungry. Where some say it will be a long season for this team, I say it could be a team to watch for.

Edited by hogstooth
Added names for further context.

It was announced last week Coach Rice accepted a Vice Principal position in a Boone County school. Too busy to wear both hats I assume but even as a consultant, will be fine. Shouldn't be too much of a drop off they have coaches that have been in that defensive system a few years and some decent coaching additions on both sides of the ball. Looked good in 7on7 vs. Cooper and Ludlow.

Coach Cox I believe did a Grad assistant year coaching at the mount helping receivers. Coach Allonce is a former UC defensive end and looks like he could still put a hand on the ground and kill a QB. Coach Stewart last two seasons at Holmes as a defensive assistant under the new Dayton Defensive Coordinator. I know its early and the pads haven't come on, but it certainly looked like a team that is hungry. Where some say it will be a long season for this team, I say it could be a team to watch for.

Thanks for the quality post @hogstooth! Some solid info there!