BGP Severe Weather Alert Day (Category 3)

nWo

I'm issuing a BGP Severe Weather Alert for today Saturday 3/9/19. A portion of western Kentucky is in a Category 3 Enhanced Risk Area for strong to severe storms. This area includes all of western Kentucky west of I-24. A section of Kentucky is in a Category 2 Slight Risk Area. Cities in this area include Madisonville, Bowling Green, Columbia, Louisville, and Owensboro. A Category 1 Marginal Risk Area exist from around the I-75 corridor back west to the Slight Risk Area.

KY_swody1.png

Here is the chart to explain the different categories.

severe-weather-definitions.jpg

Severe Thunderstorms capable of tornadoes, large hail, and damaging wind gusts are possible across portions of the Mid South today through the early evening. A strong tornado is possible from the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers southward into parts of northwest Alabama.

There may be a couple of lines of storms from this afternoon into the evening hours. The first looks to be in western Kentucky this afternoon and traverse eastward across the state. A second line could form around 7 pm EST around the I-65 corridor and move eastward. The favorable conditions for severe storms should lessen by then but they will still be there.

NAM 3km radar. The timing is from 1 pm EST Saturday to 4 am EST Sunday morning.

32-nodither.gif

Energy Helicity Index(EHI) The timing for the following maps is from 1 pm EST Saturday to 1 am EST Sunday morning.

kyehi.gif

Supercell Composite

kysuper.gif

Significant Tornado Parameter

kytornado.gif

I will try to update when I can later today. I have to attend the funeral of the sister of a friend of the family this afternoon. Everyone should be weather aware later today. Especially those in the areas mentioned above.