9th Region Championship Preview

It's your classic David vs Goliath. Beechwood making their 1st 9th Region Finals. appearance in 70 years, and CovCath make their 7th straight 9th Region Finals.

I went to both the other games and they were ugly at times. I expect this one to be as well, but CCH will cut the nets down for the 4th time in 6 years, remaining the king of NKY. This one could go either way though, and if CCH didn't win it this year, I was hoping Beechwood would. They are a great story that is only going to get better the next few years IMO.

Very cool moment and opportunity for Beechwood, and one well earned after beating the Jags last night. This may be their first crack at a Rupp trip in 70 years, but it certainly won't take that long for their next one.

Hoping we get a good, hard fought, nonsense-free game and the better team advances to play Scott County in Lexington. Heck, can we (the 9th) be allowed to send a combo team to take on Hicks' Cards?

I am really looking forward to seeing a great, competitive championship game. I did not see the previous two meetings when Beechwood won, however, I would have to think Cov Cath can win based on their size mismatch with Thelen and Mayer. Both teams have played great thus far in the tournament....congratulations to both for making it to the finals tonight.

In reading some BGP posts, apparently BW and CCH were both the benefactors of impartial 7th region refs - LOL.

Who is going to get the whistle tonight? ;-)

In all seriousness, both teams deserve to be where they are. Congrats!

I believe CCH did it in '14, but how many times has a district runner up won the region?

Edited by JackieMoon

In reading some BGP posts, apparently BW and CCH were both the benefactors of impartial 7th region refs - LOL.

Who is going to get the whistle tonight? ;-)

In all seriousness, both teams deserve to be where they are. Congrats!

I believe CCH did it in '14, but how many times has a district runner up won the region?

It actually happens a lot. Just thinking back I can think of several in the last 15 years.

2014 CovCath

2013 Holmes

2010 Newport

2007 Holmes

2005 Holmes

I’m sure there have been a lot more too, just thought of those off the top of my head.

Is Covington Catholic's size an advantage or a liability versus Beechwood's guards? Beechwood can put 5 excellent 3 point shooters on the floor at the same time with 2 of them 6'5".

With good entry passes being a lost art in high school basketball, I think CovCath's size advantage is negated by the speed and ball handling of the Tigers.