Probability Question For Our Mathematicians

DragonFire

For some reason probabilities have always tripped me up. I've been Googling for about 30 minutes but remain at low confidence that I can calculate this.

I am wanting to calculate the probabilities of any two teams out of five ending up on the same side of the bracket in a five team tournament random draw. So say you have teams A, B, C, D, E. A five team bracket is set up so that teams drawing position 4 & 5 play each other first, the winner advances to play team 1 in a semifinal, and the other semifinal matches teams 2 & 3. What is the probability that team A & B will be on the same side? They could meet directly by drawing positions 2 & 3, could meet directly drawing 4 & 5, or one could draw into position 1 and the other could draw into position 4 or 5.

I think I calculated it correctly by mapping out literally all the potential combinations (there are 48 times A & B are on same side out of 120 potential combinations if I did it correctly - so 40% chance), but I would like to know if I'm correct and also how to figure that out without having to jump through those crazy hoops.

Can anyone help me out?

So hopefully this doesn't get too confusing, but I'm sure it will, as I have a hard time putting this kind of stuff into writing...

There is a 20% chance that A is in slot 1 (1 out of 5).

That leaves 4 remaining slots, so there is a 25% chance that B is in slot 2.

That means there is a 5% chance that B is in slot 2 if A is in slot 1, B will be in slot 2.

You can flip those and say there is also a 5% chance that A is in slot 2, if B is in slot 1.

That means a 10% chance both A & B are on the first side of the bracket.

On the other side of the bracket, the side with 3 slots, you have a 20% chance that A is in slot 3. Same probability applies to slots 4 & 5 as well.

If A is in one of those 3 slots, there is a 50% chance (2/4) that B is in one of the remaining 2 slots on that side of the bracket. So a 10% chance for each slot, thus 30% overall.

So 10% chance they're both on the first side of the bracket, and a 30% chance they're both on the second side of the bracket. So 40% in total.

I appreciate it you all. I consider myself pretty strong at math, but probability just always seemed to be something that gave me trouble.

Is the factorial the way you calculate combinations? So if it were 6 teams it would be 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 720?

And if I track the logic right, say it were six teams, with three teams on each side. There'd be a 1/6 chance for a slot on one side, then a 2/5 chance for them to be in one of the other two slots on that side, making it a 1/15 chance for them to be on the same side for a given slot. The odds would be the same for each of the six slots since there are three on each side, making it a 6/15 chance in total for two teams to draw on the same side of a six team bracket - still 40%. Right?