Thoughts on Trick or Treat Being Moved to Tonight

MJAlltheWay24

The city of Alexandria decided to move their trick-or-treat to tonight due to pending thunderstorms tomorrow night. Didn't really affect us personally, other than I had to go to Kroger last night instead of tonight for some candy. But from reading the city's FB page, people are in an uproar about it.

What are your thoughts? Would you rather your have moved trick-or-treat to tonight? Or have it with thunderstorms on actual Halloween?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The people who are in an uproar are dumb.

Taylor Mill is refusing to move it, so we're probably making the drive to Alexandria tonight so our little guy can go. His costume won't allow him to do it in the rain, so we either go tonight, or don't go.

It's about trying to keep kids safe, and healthy. Not sure why any parent would object to that.

@UKMustangFan, I agree people are dumb for being mad.

It is about safety. In our area a lot have moved it to tonight. I have not heard any complaints so far.

Yep. And I completely understand that a very small % of people have to take off work, rearrange their schedules, etc. but to me, the health and safety of the kids is much more important than possibly creating a minor inconvenience for some parents. :idunno:

Smart move. St Mary’s had scheduled their first ever trunk or treat last Friday and cancelled due to rain. Does it matter what day of the week it is? When we were kids it was always on a weekend near Halloween. Never at night. We would hit Dayton early and Bellevue late. Those pillow cases weighed a ton.

@UKMustangFan I’d invite you to trick or treat on our street but we have not had a single kid in 3 years. Told a neighbor that we now have one year old twins and a couple of grandparents on the street that may want to show off their new editions this year? Too young for candy, but those little outfits are so cute.

First, Halloween is a "holiday" for children. I know some adults like to go all out and have a big time (which is fine), but ultimately it's about the kids going out to get candy. It's not a federal holiday and it's not significant historically.

Being that it's about the kids, it makes much more sense to move it to tonight so it can be enjoyable for them. No one wants to have their children out in rain and storms or in an unsafe situation. I applaud the cities that moved Trick Or Treat to tonight.

Taylor Mill is refusing to move it, so we're probably making the drive to Alexandria tonight so our little guy can go. His costume won't allow him to do it in the rain, so we either go tonight, or don't go.

It's about trying to keep kids safe, and healthy. Not sure why any parent would object to that.

I'm in Taylor Mill too. I have kept a record for the last 5 years on number of children, the weather that night and amount of candy purchased. With the weather forecast this year, I have no clue how much candy to buy. I'll be ready and on my porch. However, I doubt that I will see anybody after 7pm.

I’m all for it. My daughter who is about to turn 3 hasn’t quit talking about it for the last month. She loves Halloween. The wife and I weren’t to sure we were going to be able to take her out because of the weather. Tonight is a perfect night weather wise so we’ll definitely be heading to Alexandria.

I'm in Taylor Mill too. I have kept a record for the last 5 years on number of children, the weather that night and amount of candy purchased. With the weather forecast this year, I have no clue how much candy to buy. I'll be ready and on my porch. However, I doubt that I will see anybody after 7pm.

Yep. 3 years ago it was bitterly cold out. I sat out on the front porch for the first hour. 2 total kids came up to our porch. Hundreds walked right by, I guess they weren't interested since I wasn't sitting at the end of my driveway (it's a subdivision so the driveway is very short).

Agreed.