Will Johnson Central get to the Regional Tournament?

Eagle'01

After making it to the KHSAA final four in 2004, JC has been beat in the first round of the district tournament two years in a row.

I am a big JC supporter and I was wondering everyone's thoughts on JC's chance of success for this upcoming season. I know baseball is still a long time away but I miss talking about it.

I also know JC has a lot of talent coming back along with two of the top pithcer's in the 15th returing in Matt Fyffe and Justin Blanton.

Any thoughts???

The biggest problem all 57th district teams have is THE DRAW. Matt Fyffe and Justin Blanton are capable of beating anybody, but when you throw in Paintsville's #1 or Lawence's #1 or SC's#1 , it's a crap shoot. IF JC can get into the region that's when pitching depth means everything. I think JC will do very well if they get into the regional tournament. Until then just hope our #1 can stop somebody else's.

The biggest problem all 57th district teams have is THE DRAW. Matt Fyffe and Justin Blanton are capable of beating anybody, but when you throw in Paintsville's #1 or Lawence's #1 or SC's#1 , it's a crap shoot. IF JC can get into the region that's when pitching depth means everything. I think JC will do very well if they get into the regional tournament. Until then just hope our #1 can stop somebody else's.

I agree, it's ashame that we still have a blind draw to decide who we play in the first round of the district. It takes all of the meaning out of the regular season district games. Many teams won't even throw their best pitcher during those games so the other team can't get a good look at him until district tournament time.

Firebird, I know you are pretty knowledgeable win it comes to the Eagle baseball team, what do you think?
Well usually what I think has been proven to not mean very much.Just ask Coach Hall....lol

I will say that I am very much looking forward to this season. Like a couple have mentioned, I think that while Fyffe and Blanton on most nights are capable of beating anyone, I do want to throw out Mike Conley as a very good third option. As an over all staff from top to bottom, I think they might have the regions best rotation, but there are a couple of other schools that have some really good starters as well. Carter from Pikeville, Little from Allen Central, Dotson from Belfry, Grimm from Paintsville , and Roberts from Lawrence Co. are all very good and can beat you as well. Sheherd at Lawrence will also be one of the regions very best as an 8th grader.

I also feel that the winner of the region will come out of the 57th this year. I know that Lawrence Co has traveled and played as a unit all summer and fall together. I really look for and expect Lawrence to be very strong this year. Coach Keeton, Feltner, and Michaels just do a great job up there every year . Paintsville will be Paintsville again. I think they are absolutely loaded with talent, and are very, very, very well coached. I just cant emphasize the coaching part enough. Mike Hall at Sheldon Clark may surprise us all however again this season after being hit hard by graduation. He comes up with a great team every year, even when you think he has nothing coming back. He has done absolute wonders for Sheldon Clark's program. Even Magoffin County could play a spoiler role in the district tournament. I thought they looked pretty good against Paintsville last year in the tournament.

I think that a big key for Central being sucessful this year is how well they can effectively fill the shoes of JD Plummer and Shane Sturgill. I think they lost the best defensive centerfieder and one of the best catchers in the region last year. That is of the most concern to me personally. We also have a couple of newcomers that I have yet to see much of but it is of my understanding may help out tremendously. Nathaniel Dials and Nick Vance are both being mentioned to me as pretty good players. I think that Coty Conley will see a lot more action this season after not playing for a couple of years and a lot of the young guys on last years squad will be much improved from last year. JK Ratliff came a long way as well last season, and could really be a big part of this team's success. As young players I thought that Stacy and Richardson greatly exceeded what most of us expected from them last year and I feel will be even better this year. I am also very much looking forward to seeing how Cody Parker has developed. He may very well be the next big thing on down the road for JC if he can stay focused. Hopefully Tommy Taylor will give baseball a shot this spring, he played summer ball this past year for the first time. We could sure use his speed on the base paths. You listening Tommy?

I think that it will be a real dogfight in our district, and the fine line of things this year is that 3 teams in the 57th have the chance of doing one of two things. I think they can either get beat in the first round of the district or they can realisticly and legitimately make their way to Applebee's Park, and with a favorable state tournament draw, could wind up playing on saturday.

Personally, I am just as excited about our team this year as I was going into the season after our final 4 run two years ago. Hopefully we wont be hit by injuries like we were that year. Talent and coaching can take you a long long way but it also takes a lot of breaks and a little luck. Hopefully, the moon and stars will all be in alignment for us this year.

Well usually what I think has been proven to not mean very much.Just ask Coach Hall....lol

I will say that I am very much looking forward to this season. Like a couple have mentioned, I think that while Fyffe and Blanton on most nights are capable of beating anyone, I do want to throw out Mike Conley as a very good third option. As an over all staff from top to bottom, I think they might have the regions best rotation, but there are a couple of other schools that have some really good starters as well. Carter from Pikeville, Little from Allen Central, Dotson from Belfry, Grimm from Paintsville , and Roberts from Lawrence Co. are all very good and can beat you as well. Sheherd at Lawrence will also be one of the regions very best as an 8th grader.

I also feel that the winner of the region will come out of the 57th this year. I know that Lawrence Co has traveled and played as a unit all summer and fall together. I really look for and expect Lawrence to be very strong this year. Coach Keeton, Feltner, and Michaels just do a great job up there every year . Paintsville will be Paintsville again. I think they are absolutely loaded with talent, and are very, very, very well coached. I just cant emphasize the coaching part enough. Mike Hall at Sheldon Clark may surprise us all however again this season after being hit hard by graduation. He comes up with a great team every year, even when you think he has nothing coming back. He has done absolute wonders for Sheldon Clark's program. Even Magoffin County could play a spoiler role in the district tournament. I thought they looked pretty good against Paintsville last year in the tournament.

I think that a big key for Central being sucessful this year is how well they can effectively fill the shoes of JD Plummer and Shane Sturgill. I think they lost the best defensive centerfieder and one of the best catchers in the region last year. That is of the most concern to me personally. We also have a couple of newcomers that I have yet to see much of but it is of my understanding may help out tremendously. Nathaniel Dials and Nick Vance are both being mentioned to me as pretty good players. I think that Coty Conley will see a lot more action this season after not playing for a couple of years and a lot of the young guys on last years squad will be much improved from last year. JK Ratliff came a long way as well last season, and could really be a big part of this team's success. As young players I thought that Stacy and Richardson greatly exceeded what most of us expected from them last year and I feel will be even better this year. I am also very much looking forward to seeing how Cody Parker has developed. He may very well be the next big thing on down the road for JC if he can stay focused. Hopefully Tommy Taylor will give baseball a shot this spring, he played summer ball this past year for the first time. We could sure use his speed on the base paths. You listening Tommy?

I think that it will be a real dogfight in our district, and the fine line of things this year is that 3 teams in the 57th have the chance of doing one of two things. I think they can either get beat in the first round of the district or they can realisticly and legitimately make their way to Applebee's Park, and with a favorable state tournament draw, could wind up playing on saturday.

Personally, I am just as excited about our team this year as I was going into the season after our final 4 run two years ago. Hopefully we wont be hit by injuries like we were that year. Talent and coaching can take you a long long way but it also takes a lot of breaks and a little luck. Hopefully, the moon and stars will all be in alignment for us this year.

Great post Firebird. Thanks for the insight. :thumb:

I to think it would be a very good thing for the Eagles if Tommy Taylor would come out for Baseball. I just dont think people understand how Important it is for a team to have some people on the bench to come in and run the bases. I was on the 2004 team and running bases was one of the reasons we made it as far as we did with JD Brandon music and some others able to come in as courtesy runners really helped us.( Lord knows i needed a courtesy runner didnt i firebird.:lol: )

But i think this team is going to be very solid and i think alot of it is going to depend on how the young players have developed and what is going to happen at the catcher position. I know Taylor Smith is haveing shoulder problems.

Firebird do you think Taylor is going to be the catcher or Nick Vance i remember him being a catcher?

But pitching will be fine

I am looking forward to watching them this season

I to think it would be a very good thing for the Eagles if Tommy Taylor would come out for Baseball. I just dont think people understand how Important it is for a team to have some people on the bench to come in and run the bases. I was on the 2004 team and running bases was one of the reasons we made it as far as we did with JD Brandon music and some others able to come in as courtesy runners really helped us.( Lord knows i needed a courtesy runner didnt i firebird.:lol: )

But i think this team is going to be very solid and i think alot of it is going to depend on how the young players have developed and what is going to happen at the catcher position. I know Taylor Smith is haveing shoulder problems.

Firebird do you think Taylor is going to be the catcher or Nick Vance i remember him being a catcher?

But pitching will be fine

I am looking forward to watching them this season

Hey, you weren't known as the "Flash" for nothing.:lol:

From what I understand, Taylor had a little elbow problem that is better now that he has rested it over the fall. I think that he is fine right now.

Hey, you weren't known as the "Flash" for nothing.:lol:

From what I understand, Taylor had a little elbow problem that is better now that he has rested it over the fall. I think that he is fine right now.

:lol: I know i was very fast:lol:

JC should have a great year