Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is lack of QB development an issue at Ryle?

Featured Replies

From another thread:

 

Having watched every game Ryle has played with Coach Engler as head coach, I have serious questions about his qualifications as a quarter back guru. Having a player like Tanner Morgan with his work ethic and natural abilities definitely helps any program, but coach Engler has been at Ryle for five years now. The quarterback position has not been a strength and could be considered Ryles biggest weakness since Tanner left. Last years quarterback played solely at wide receiver and never took snaps at quarterback until the starting quarterback was replaced last year during the first game. I don't recall the JV quarterbacks being really successful during coach Engler's tenure either. I hope this years squad and particularly the quarterback the utmost success but I really think much of the success the program has had in the last three years is due more to the transcendent nature of skilled players on the offensive side of the ball like Tanner Morgan and Jake Chisholm rather then a rapid development of skill players under coach Engler. I think the offensive line coach has done a great job getting the best out his players and the defensive coaches have done a good job getting players to buy into their system, I am just not sold on Coach Engler's ability to develop the position he was suppose to be a so called guru at IMO. I hope I am wrong......

 

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/ryle-13-covington-367221.html#post6576322

Honest question here, does anyone really think that high school coaches develop kids at any position? I for one do not think so. A good high school coach takes the talent he is dealt with and finds the best places on the field to make use of that talent. Engler had "0" hand in the development of Tanner Morgan just as Dale Mueller had "0" hand in the development of Jo-Lo, Gino and Pat Towles. Now a coach can devise an offensive scheme to make use of those talents and be very successful, but development is a completely different animal.

Honest question here, does anyone really think that high school coaches develop kids at any position? I for one do not think so. A good high school coach takes the talent he is dealt with and finds the best places on the field to make use of that talent. Engler had "0" hand in the development of Tanner Morgan just as Dale Mueller had "0" hand in the development of Jo-Lo, Gino and Pat Towles. Now a coach can devise an offensive scheme to make use of those talents and be very successful, but development is a completely different animal.
@theguru took a question from another thread to start this thread, you should start another on the bolded. :popcorn:
Honest question here, does anyone really think that high school coaches develop kids at any position? I for one do not think so. A good high school coach takes the talent he is dealt with and finds the best places on the field to make use of that talent. Engler had "0" hand in the development of Tanner Morgan just as Dale Mueller had "0" hand in the development of Jo-Lo, Gino and Pat Towles. Now a coach can devise an offensive scheme to make use of those talents and be very successful, but development is a completely different animal.

 

That's a list of D1 talent. I'd agree with the premise that a high school football coach is not the responsible party when it comes to those guys being D1 talent...it's pretty undeniable that when it comes to playing on that level, a lot of it just has to be God-given natural talent.

 

BUT, it's hard to argue that a good position coach isn't a help along the way. And I *do* think there are some players who come in with some talent, albeit not the same level of natural born talent as the D1 caliber kids, who can really benefit from having a good position coach.

The back up quarterbacks since 2016 have thrown just over a total 50 passes. Several running clocks in the two year here no reason to not try to give the back up a few more reps.

They probably have more kids that are QB capable than any other school in nky. I don't mean capable of being a varsity starter or even backup. I believe the lack of development is between the 6th and 9th grade levels. Seen many upcoming QBs moved to WR or DB.

Not sure if 'development' means turning a non-QB into a QB that fits a pass-oriented offense or if it means getting reps to the 2nd the 3rd string who are likely underclassmen and in the wings to take over if needed in the current season or the following season.

 

If its the former then Engler would not likely be directly responsible. If its the later - yeah thats more on the head coach and OC. The Engler was the OC at LexCath and very good at designing and executing 'west coast' schemes there. But he was usually working with a coach who worked with the QBs on technique and skill development. And the QBs usually were getting development of skill outside the school program as well.

Id argue that Ryle hasn't had a QB talent come through their program since Tanner. I mean you have to have some QB talent, not just kids playing QB.

 

In short, you can't develop what you don't have.

Furthermore, you are comparing the Head Coach to his time when he was at a school that was QBU for a while, is it really fair comparison?

So was Coach Engler a QB Guru at Lex Cath or not?? Was he just an OC that had good talent?

Maybe the question should be, Is the Ryle program lacking in QB development? Ryle has a descent program but let's not compare them to the elite programs.

Maybe the question should be, Is the Ryle program lacking in QB development? Ryle has a descent program but let's not compare them to the elite programs.

 

When I think of elite programs in 6A, I think Trinity, St. X., Male and borderline Scott County. That's it.

 

Ryle is in the tier just below that in the next 8 or 10 schools. They have pretty consistently been ranked in the top 10 in 6A.

 

----------------------------

 

To the thread question, I put it on the offensive system as much as QB development. If it is Engler's offensive scheme, then he has to take blame for underachieving QB's.

I think we are agreeing. Lol

Id argue that Ryle hasn't had a QB talent come through their program since Tanner. I mean you have to have some QB talent, not just kids playing QB.

 

In short, you can't develop what you don't have.

 

I’ll add that Tanner went to a lot of football camps on his own.

Honest question here, does anyone really think that high school coaches develop kids at any position? I for one do not think so. A good high school coach takes the talent he is dealt with and finds the best places on the field to make use of that talent. Engler had "0" hand in the development of Tanner Morgan just as Dale Mueller had "0" hand in the development of Jo-Lo, Gino and Pat Towles. Now a coach can devise an offensive scheme to make use of those talents and be very successful, but development is a completely different animal.

 

You can’t possibly be serious? Development of a player by a coach is why you see players go from a nobody as a freshman or sophomore and into a player as a junior or senior. Does maturity/physically growing have some to do with that? Yes. But to say that position coaches don’t develop players is absolutely absurd. I don’t care how good or physically gifted you are, you need development to be successful.

All you have to do is look at guys who were the best middle schools players or freshman players or high school players that were not successful because all they did was rely on their given talent.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.