The Hype Train has left the station....

PurplePride92

By all accounts, the UK media should be predicting a great year for the cats. That doesn't mean they are saying they will win it all and most I've heard say they could win it all but really the odds are against any single team doing it. That doesn't mean UK fans shouldn't be excited. The problem with some fans is they hear that and twisted into "Title or Bust". Fact is UK is a top 5, probably top 3, team and could make a case for #1. I would say the exact same thing about Duke. At this point the talent is there but until they get some meaningful games under their belt who knows how good they will actually be.

It doesn’t take top notch college basketball knowledge to predict a good year for Duke and UK. That’s every season. Every year there are different levels of hype and expectations for UK teams. The hype and expectations for this team are louder than any team since 2015 and I’d argue that it is louder than 2015 as well. Maybe it is because I am on twitter a lot but for it to be August and UK fans are loudly jumping for joy and thumping their chests the way they are right now tells me that the hype isn’t going to die down anytime soon so I figured I’d pose the questions to UK fans. I’m interested in the answers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about more talent being with UK, but your thinking here is very similar to mine. Duke's top talent is better than UK's, but UK's next several are better than Duke's. I feel like the two teams are very even, but that's admittedly me giving my opinion without knowing much on Duke.

I think overall they are even as well. I expect it to be a close and exciting game.

It’s gotten a whole lot louder since the Bahamas trip. Folks thought it before last week. Now they scream it to the rooftops for everyone to hear.

I saw a good number of non UK people talking about it as well. They are the only team playing and played pretty well with limited practice so it gave something for people to talk about.

With that being said 44-0. (I'm counting these games since they were against top level pro teams :bunny:)

Losing in the first or second round is the only thing that would get me to sour on Cal. For the most part he has his teams playing best come March and they have made good runs which is all you can ask for. Deciding someones fate based solely off a one and done tournament is tough.

I expect a Final Four appearance at least for this team. Anything less than that would be a disappointment. I don't ever expect Championships because even when you're the most talented team, they are extremely difficult to come by.

I do believe there is a large population of the BBN that will have sour feelings towards Coach Cal. I will no at all.

Hopefully they just win it all and none of this matters.

It doesn’t take top notch college basketball knowledge to predict a good year for Duke and UK. That’s every season. Every year there are different levels of hype and expectations for UK teams. The hype and expectations for this team are louder than any team since 2015 and I’d argue that it is louder than 2015 as well. Maybe it is because I am on twitter a lot but for it to be August and UK fans are loudly jumping for joy and thumping their chests the way they are right now tells me that the hype isn’t going to die down anytime soon so I figured I’d pose the questions to UK fans. I’m interested in the answers.

I think this is probably their best team since 2015 so that is a given.

Are they louder than 2015? No way. I think when UK returned what they did in 2015 they would be #1 until they lost a game. It took 39 games for them to fall from that perch.

This team can be special. We’ll have to wait and see.

UK has more talented depth than Duke. Duke will have the top 3 players on the floor and 4 of the top 10 players but UK has more talent when you take in all of their depth.

I'm gonna lose it this year. The amount of hype I have for the NFL season and college ball will be out of control.

UK has more talented depth than Duke. Duke will have the top 3 players on the floor and 4 of the top 10 players but UK has more talent when you take in all of their depth.

Agreed, which is why I think UK takes the first game, not sure if its handily or not. But a rematch could be epic. I'm not sure how well Dukes top 3 will handle a full throttle game for 40 minutes, not because they aren't talented enough to, but because they'll need to be on the floor. That's just a lot to ask of freshmen guys still just trying to acclimate early.

Regardless, both programs should be excited about the start of the season and the ride that it will come with it. I'm not gonna lie, I'm having a hard time avoiding the hype train for the Cats. They need to stay healthy and learn right now.

I saw a good number of non UK people talking about it as well. They are the only team playing and played pretty well with limited practice so it gave something for people to talk about.

With that being said 44-0. (I'm counting these games since they were against top level pro teams :bunny:)

Losing in the first or second round is the only thing that would get me to sour on Cal. For the most part he has his teams playing best come March and they have made good runs which is all you can ask for. .

As we learned this season, not being able to score will lose them a game against a team they should beat. However I don't think that will be as much of a problem this season.

With UK’s captivating week of domination over some of the best professional teams international basketball has to offer the Hype Train has officially left the station. Various UK personalities from Rex Chapman to Larry Vaught to Matt Jones are predicting a glorious year for the 2018-19 Wildcats and UK fans are storming Duke’s social media accounts predicting a 20-30 point victory against Duke on November 6th.

The Hype Train has left the station.

Now that we are simply waiting on April for the UK Invitational aka the 2019 Final Four, I have to ask a couple of questions.

1. If UK doesn’t win it all this year will they ever win another title led by Coach Cal?

2. If UK doesn’t win it all this year will your feelings for Coach Cal sour?

I feel like I have asked these questions before and I understand this is a fair question to ask yearly. So what is your thought process this year, UK BGP?

To answer you questions...

1. Every year is different and unique so you have to take each as they come. The NCAA tournament is so random the best team is far for a lock to win it. So if they don't win it this year doesn't have any bearing on winning it next year, or the year after, or the year after.

2. No. Again, anyone who bases their feelings of a coach on titles is a fool.