The Hype Train has left the station....

PurplePride92

With UK’s captivating week of domination over some of the best professional teams international basketball has to offer the Hype Train has officially left the station. Various UK personalities from Rex Chapman to Larry Vaught to Matt Jones are predicting a glorious year for the 2018-19 Wildcats and UK fans are storming Duke’s social media accounts predicting a 20-30 point victory against Duke on November 6th.

The Hype Train has left the station.

Now that we are simply waiting on April for the UK Invitational aka the 2019 Final Four, I have to ask a couple of questions.

1. If UK doesn’t win it all this year will they ever win another title led by Coach Cal?

2. If UK doesn’t win it all this year will your feelings for Coach Cal sour?

I feel like I have asked these questions before and I understand this is a fair question to ask yearly. So what is your thought process this year, UK BGP?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With UK’s captivating week of domination over some of the best professional teams international basketball has to offer the Hype Train has officially left the station. Various UK personalities from Rex Chapman to Larry Vaught to Matt Jones are predicting a glorious year for the 2018-19 Wildcats and UK fans are storming Duke’s social media accounts predicting a 20-30 point victory against Duke on November 6th.

Now that we are simply waiting on April for the UK Invitational aka the 2019 Final Four, I have to ask a couple of questions.

1. If UK doesn’t win it all this year will they ever win another title led by Coach Cal?

I feel like I have asked these questions before and I understand this is a fair question to ask yearly. So what is your thought process this year, UK BGP?

Well first of all UK fans are foolish to act like it's a guarantee to win it all this year.

Just look at Duke the last two seasons. Going into the last 2 seasons. Duke was supposed to be by far the best team in basketball and how could Duke lose. Especially when they have arguably the best basketball coach of all time. Yet they couldn't even make the final four the last two seasons. A second round loss and a elite 8 lost.

So imo no even if UK doesn't win it all it doesnt mean they never will again. The best coach of all time has shown that it's so dang hard to win it all in a one and out tournament, by his teams failing to even make the final four.

Cal has shown he doesnt have to have the best team to make the final four or a finals as case as 2011 and 2014 teams. So this year doesnt prove one way or another if he can or can not win it this year.

With that said myself and fellow UK fans should be excited. But in college basketball in a one and out tournament. There is no guarntee. If this was like the NBA and played a series. UK under Cal probably has won titles in at least 2010, 2012, and 2015. With that said if it was like the NBA, coach K easily has double digit titles now.

I thought about starting a "Could this UK team win the Olympics?" thread, but I figured I might be getting a little ahead of myself.

To be fair as quick as some UK fans are to hype up UK. UK fans are also the first fans to overexaggerate how bad they think a UK team is. Usually in January during conference play. UK fans are saying they are horrible, no way they get better. Be lucky to even make the tournament.

UK fans are quick to hype up, but also quick to blow up.

To be fair as quick as some UK fans are to hype up UK. UK fans are also the first fans to overexaggerate how bad they think a UK team is. Usually in January during conference play. UK fans are saying they are horrible, no way they get better. Be lucky to even make the tournament.

UK fans are quick to hype up, but also quick to blow up.

I definitely agree here which is why I felt like the tone coming from some of UK’s most vocal mouthpieces was interesting. They seem to be pumping up the hype as opposed to keeping it even tempered. If Duke beats UK by double digits or vice versa there will be folks who will be losing their minds when in reality a loss on November 6th means very little in the grand scheme of things. That’s a bragging rights game.

First of all, those were not some of the best international teams...but you guys already know that.

Kentucky has no chance against Duke with the greatest coach of all time and the greatest recruiting class of all time that they have.

Depends on who you talk to. I’ve seen and heard plenty say that the addition of transfer Reid Travis along with Hagans reclassifying gives them the better class.

I’ll also add that there will be plenty of concern from Duke if Reddish and Jones don’t heal properly from their injuries.

Someone please inform all those UK fans on the hype-train that Duke has more talent than UK this year.

UK has more talented depth than Duke. Duke will have the top 3 players on the floor and 4 of the top 10 players but UK has more talent when you take in all of their depth.

UK has more talented depth than Duke. Duke will have the top 3 players on the floor and 4 of the top 10 players but UK has more talent when you take in all of their depth.

I don't know about more talent being with UK, but your thinking here is very similar to mine. Duke's top talent is better than UK's, but UK's next several are better than Duke's. I feel like the two teams are very even, but that's admittedly me giving my opinion without knowing much on Duke.

By all accounts, the UK media should be predicting a great year for the cats. That doesn't mean they are saying they will win it all and most I've heard say they could win it all but really the odds are against any single team doing it. That doesn't mean UK fans shouldn't be excited. The problem with some fans is they hear that and twisted into "Title or Bust". Fact is UK is a top 5, probably top 3, team and could make a case for #1. I would say the exact same thing about Duke. At this point the talent is there but until they get some meaningful games under their belt who knows how good they will actually be.

So thinking they are going to the FF and going to contend for the title? How is this any different than two weeks ago when everyone though this?

It’s gotten a whole lot louder since the Bahamas trip. Folks thought it before last week. Now they scream it to the rooftops for everyone to hear.