Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marvin Lewis Announces he is stepping down at seasons end - Not Verified

Featured Replies

I'm not a Marvin guy, but the more I read into this I feel like the Brown family doesn't care to improve. I'm a Bengals fan till the bitter end, but the ownership has to fork over the money and give the leadership group ability to make the changes they deem necessary.

  • Replies 70
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe he will be back and the changes I believe are mostly two.

 

_ Assistant coaches and their pay (very low for NFL standards)

_ some type of indoor facility

My guesses - and they are purely guesses:

 

Marvin wants some changes on his staff and he wants changes in how decisions on the roster (probably including the draft) are made. I don't think Marvin wanted to draft John Ross last year and he doesn't want to get stuck like that again. Perhaps he also wants more control over free agents and more say in player contracts - who they give money to and who they let go. I wonder if Marvin would have preferred money go to offensive linemen versus Burfict. I think Marvin believes team character is slipping again and that was a change he pursued when he first came on board. Marvin wants professionals and good character on his team and will take a slightly lesser talent in favor of higher character.

 

VOR, I think you have hit the nail on the head. Marvin's handling of this negotiation has been perfect (he has not embarrassed Mike Brown by using the media to make himself look better at the Brown's expense). Should Brown decide not to give Marvin the things he feels necessary, Marvin can walk away, head high and undamaged as the NFL knows how hamstrung he has been in achieving what he has.

If the Bengals don't decide soon, all of the big name candidates will be taken and we will be left holding an empty bag like always.

My guesses - and they are purely guesses:

 

Marvin wants some changes on his staff and he wants changes in how decisions on the roster (probably including the draft) are made. I don't think Marvin wanted to draft John Ross last year and he doesn't want to get stuck like that again. Perhaps he also wants more control over free agents and more say in player contracts - who they give money to and who they let go. I wonder if Marvin would have preferred money go to offensive linemen versus Burfict. I think Marvin believes team character is slipping again and that was a change he pursued when he first came on board. Marvin wants professionals and good character on his team and will take a slightly lesser talent in favor of higher character.

 

I agree with basically everything you stated here except Burfict. I think he is a Burfict guy and likes how smart of a football player he is, and truly is the leader of that defense. With that said I do think his comments show he wasn't happy with I think what they did with the line this year. He always has said you have to run the ball and stop the run in the afc North. But they don't have a roster built to with the roster currently. So I agree I think he is upset with the makeup of the line, just not that they extended Burfict. Extedning Burfict wasn't that bad of a deal either.

It's a good thing the blackout rule is gone. If they bring back Marvin there literally will be only 30 thousand people in the stadium next year for games. If Marvin is still the coach it goes against everyone's theory that Brown only cares about making money. If it's all about money for Mike Brown then moving on from Lewis is the best decision from a financial view too.

 

Here's where I asked a question on another thread with no reply...even if there are no fans in the seats, doesn't the county have to pay for the unsold seats to make it a sellout? This was part of the contract, but has it timed itself out over the Years?

 

To me, even if Marvin is replaced with a current assistant on the staff, the resulting season ticket nonrenewal rate will skyrocket.

If the Bengals don't decide soon, all of the big name candidates will be taken and we will be left holding an empty bag like always.

 

Most of the big name candidates are on staffs in the playoffs. So they can wait another day or two and not hurt anything.

Here's where I asked a question on another thread with no reply...even if there are no fans in the seats, doesn't the county have to pay for the unsold seats to make it a sellout? This was part of the contract, but has it timed itself out over the Years?

 

To me, even if Marvin is replaced with a current assistant on the staff, the resulting season ticket nonrenewal rate will skyrocket.

 

I have zero clue on that. I don't think that is true because even back in 2011 the stadium was half empty and if the county did buy the seats they would have resold them for very cheap to make money.

Most of the big name candidates are on staffs in the playoffs. So they can wait another day or two and not hurt anything.

 

The Bengals aren’t getting a “big name” regardless of how long they wait.

Marvin isn't going anywhere.

The Bengals aren’t getting a “big name” regardless of how long they wait.

 

Sadly you are right.

The Bengals aren’t getting a “big name” regardless of how long they wait.

 

There are potentially 10 jobs on the line, the Bengals likely are close to 10th in priority. :thumb:

There are potentially 10 jobs on the line, the Bengals likely are close to 10th in priority. :thumb:

 

I wold like to see a list the open jobs and how the rosters of those teams compare.

While I don't think the Bengal's roster would make them 10 of 10 or whatever in terms of attractiveness; the kicker would be the limited control of your destiny that a Bengals' HC has. Mikey only has room for one opinion in his operation, and it's his.

 

Throw in his legendary cheapness on the front office, scouting, facilities, keeping key players, etc. and it might be near the bottom of the open jobs in the interest of prospective HC's? Always seem to get either an insider or first timer, just happy to be one of the 32?

 

All that said, I'm moving into the camp that Marvin will stay and little will change. And the enduring quest for mediocracy will continue, and Mikey & family's bank accounts will continue to grow.

While I don't think the Bengal's roster would make them 10 of 10 or whatever in terms of attractiveness; the kicker would be the limited control of your destiny that a Bengals' HC has. Mikey only has room for one opinion in his operation, and it's his.

 

Throw in his legendary cheapness on the front office, scouting, facilities, keeping key players, etc. and it might be near the bottom of the open jobs in the interest of prospective HC's? Always seem to get either an insider or first timer, just happy to be one of the 32?

 

All that said, I'm moving into the camp that Marvin will stay and little will change. And the enduring quest for mediocracy will continue, and Mikey & family's bank accounts will continue to grow.

 

The whole Bengals not keeping key players is just false. Since Lewis has been here the Bengals have been able to keep the majority of their key players. Every team eventually loses a couple. In the case of Marvin Jones they actually offered the same contract the Lions offered. However Jones wanted the chance to be the guy instead of the 3rd option behind Green, and Eifert.

 

Now everything else you stated is right on. But the they don't keep their key players is a worn out false narrative from the 90s.

 

Also the narrative of he only cares about money shows to be false if he keeps Lewis. Definitely losing more money by keeping him. So that kills that narrative to it they just keep him. What it does show is he simply doesn't get how to put a championship team together and how a good coach plays a big part.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.