How would you handle the protests?

ManOfTroy

We're both guessing here. You think it's Harrison because you want there to be some sort of controversy/locker room divide with the Steelers.

I think it's the guy (Big Ben) who is the longest tenured guy on the roster that has led the team to multiple Super Bowl titles. Bell and Brown, well I think a lot of the younger guys (Bryant, Rogers, Schuster, etc.) all look up to those two. I think an argument could be made that Cam Heyward is as much of a defensive leader as Harrison.

IMO, Harrison is just the loud-mouth crazy guy. Kinda like Burfict and Pac Man on the Bengals. :lol2:

Ive always thought Harrison was the leader of the team. I don't really care about discussing who the hierarchy of the "leaders" on the team are as long as we can agree Harrison is still one of them. But he wouldn't have made those comments had he not recieved similar sentiments from other players in the locker room. Harrison is crazy but not in the same way Pac Man or Burfict are. At least not anymore. I think Harrison was just a little put off that Villanueva would go out there after they, including Villanueva, decided not to go out there. It makes the rest of the team appear like they don't have their teammates back. It lessens the message the rest of the team is trying to get out there. I don't agree that it lessens the message, but there are a large faction of the football watching population that do agree with that. I'm going to stereotype here a bit, but I would think a large percentage of Steelers Nation wishes the team would have stood with Villanueva instead of Kap.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Ben's statement today:

“I was unable to sleep last night and want to share my thoughts and feelings on our team’s decision to remain in the tunnel for the national anthem yesterday,” he wrote. “The idea was to be unified as a team when so much attention is paid to things dividing our country, but I wish we approached it differently. We did not want to appear divided on the sideline with some standing and some kneeling or sitting.

“As a team, it was not a protest of the flag or the Anthem. I personally don’t believe the anthem is ever the time to make any type of protest. For me, and many others on my team and around the league, it is a tribute to those who commit to serve and protect our country, current and past, especially the ones that made the ultimate sacrifice.

“I appreciate the unique diversity in my team and throughout the league and completely support the call for social change and the pursuit of true equality. Moving forward, I hope standing for the anthem shows solidarity as a nation, that we stand united in respect for the people on the front lines protecting our freedom and keeping us safe. God bless those men and women.”

I'd be inclined to handle the recent controversy the same way you would a petulant child begging for attention: ignore them.

But I'm also not someone adversely impacted by anything happening in our society or threatened by those in power. I think the show of solidarity by the owners yesterday was the right thing to do. It's one thing if the child is begging for a candy bar in the checkout aisle, but another thing when they have the means to get their wish.

Maybe bc my grandfathers and their 6 collective brothers all served in WWII, I take the national anthem a little more serious than others, Id be on the 50 yard line at full attention. The fact that my teammates and coaches want to be followers would make me want to do it even more. If there is one thing that "grinds my gears" is being told what to do, especially when I believe Im right. Id let my teammates know I dont care what they do but this is what im going to do.

If there is one thing that "grinds my gears" is being told what to do, especially when I believe Im right. Id let my teammates know I dont care what they do but this is what im going to do.

Kind of like Kaepernick, which is what started all of this?

And FWIW, I'd be standing right next you on that 50 yard line.

Maybe bc my grandfathers and their 6 collective brothers all served in WWII, I take the national anthem a little more serious than others, Id be on the 50 yard line at full attention. The fact that my teammates and coaches want to be followers would make me want to do it even more. If there is one thing that "grinds my gears" is being told what to do, especially when I believe Im right. Id let my teammates know I dont care what they do but this is what im going to do.

See....you've got a lot in common with the guys protesting.

Honestly with this getting as big as it is. I do think it has set the stage for the message to be truly heard.

What needs to happen is imo is now for the NFL to use its stage to have a night on national tv to talk about these issues. The commish and the NFLPA come to an agreement for the players not to kneel anymore if they get a chance to truly voice their opinion rather than demonstrate it.

With this getting as big as it is. The NFL should maybe take a Tuesday night in prime time to create like a town hall meeting style on National tv. What Kap wanted when this started was to create a discussion on this issue. It's now big enough where I believe all eyes across the nation would tune in on a Tuesday night to watch it. Allow players and anyone on this national stage to truly talk about these issues. Allow for it to lead to a discussion on this matter. I think this protest has now done this and made it to where it would truly be discussed. So now it's time to allow that discussion to truly take place to help possibly create change that started this with Kap. Then also lead to players not feeling the need to kneel, and leading to more division in this country. Only then maybe can we start the steps to being truly united.

You are correct man. There’s only a small portion of the team/staff who weren’t happy about his non-participation that we know of right now. I am glad he has support. I know that Al never wanted any of this but when the song came on, his salute to duty kicked in.

I agree - Al is also a member of another team and either instinct/duty kicked in and/or he just couldn't allow himself to not stand with hand on heart.

The media is trying re-define the meaning and significance of the ceremonial singing of the National Anthem and respect for the American Flag and folks like Al have their own definition and are not buying it.

I think the Cowboys solution tonight was the best way to handle the situation. They kneeled together before the anthem and then stood respectfully while the anthem was played.

Jerry Jones handled the situation like a true leader should. Acknowledge that there is an issue, and I support seeking answers and solutions. However, we will do this within guidelines. We will not kneel during the National Anthem, because myself and a very large segment of our population find it offensive. Really doesn't seem that difficult.

Honestly with this getting as big as it is. I do think it has set the stage for the message to be truly heard.

What needs to happen is imo is now for the NFL to use its stage to have a night on national tv to talk about these issues. The commish and the NFLPA come to an agreement for the players not to kneel anymore if they get a chance to truly voice their opinion rather than demonstrate it.

With this getting as big as it is. The NFL should maybe take a Tuesday night in prime time to create like a town hall meeting style on National tv. What Kap wanted when this started was to create a discussion on this issue. It's now big enough where I believe all eyes across the nation would tune in on a Tuesday night to watch it. Allow players and anyone on this national stage to truly talk about these issues. Allow for it to lead to a discussion on this matter. I think this protest has now done this and made it to where it would truly be discussed. So now it's time to allow that discussion to truly take place to help possibly create change that started this with Kap. Then also lead to players not feeling the need to kneel, and leading to more division in this country. Only then maybe can we start the steps to being truly united.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

As an owner or coach I would let the player do as they individually chose to. I would say it to the press that way and move on, not address it again and do the Bill Belichek thingy of I am getting ready for (next team). Simple as that. I do believe in the team concept and the team being together with football and the things with the game. It is misguided to think that 53 players are going to agree on social issues. Why force that? It appears someone decided that was teh best way to do that either by the coach, captains, owners (who knows).

On a personal level protests by any group has no, nothing, zero impact on me.