How would you handle the protests?

ManOfTroy

Honestly with this getting as big as it is. I do think it has set the stage for the message to be truly heard.

What needs to happen is imo is now for the NFL to use its stage to have a night on national tv to talk about these issues. The commish and the NFLPA come to an agreement for the players not to kneel anymore if they get a chance to truly voice their opinion rather than demonstrate it.

With this getting as big as it is. The NFL should maybe take a Tuesday night in prime time to create like a town hall meeting style on National tv. What Kap wanted when this started was to create a discussion on this issue. It's now big enough where I believe all eyes across the nation would tune in on a Tuesday night to watch it. Allow players and anyone on this national stage to truly talk about these issues. Allow for it to lead to a discussion on this matter. I think this protest has now done this and made it to where it would truly be discussed. So now it's time to allow that discussion to truly take place to help possibly create change that started this with Kap. Then also lead to players not feeling the need to kneel, and leading to more division in this country. Only then maybe can we start the steps to being truly united.

I think that's a good idea and would watch.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they happened. I know why they happened.

However, I don't watch the pregame ceremonies at the professional level, the teams are still in the locker room when the anthem is played at college football games, and I watch games on TV with the sound off (because I don't want to hear the color guy). I do not watch TV news or anything on any sports channel that is not a game. Therefore, I haven't seen a protest one.

H

Just saw on ESPN where Aaron Roger is saying fans should link arms during anthem.

Interesting gesture but seems Mr. Rogers fails to understand that most people - especially military people - follow the guidelines of USC 301.

36 U.S. Code SS 31 - National anthem | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

(1) when the flag is displayed— (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

© all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and....

If people really want to move ahead on 'the discussion', 'the issues', etc. they really need to get the Anthem out of the equation. The Anthem has strong meaning to many, if not most people. Personally, though never serving in the services, I view the Anthem as a solemn memorial to those who served, died and their families. I have arranged color guards fo HS and MS football events. Talking to those who take time out to present the colors at games can be incredibility enlightening what it does mean to serve. Its frustrating to see people not take 3 minutes (or a bit more when the colors are present) and be thankful to those who have served.

For the military this is probably true. For the general public, I’m not so sure. I’m at sporting events all the time and see people doing all kinds of different things. I see many with hands folded at their waist in the front or in the back. I see many with their head held down, looking at the ground. Some just stand there like normal, hands to their side. I’m willing to bet average Joe Public couldn’t tell you even one of the 3 parts of the article you posted.

H

For the military this is probably true. For the general public, I’m not so sure. I’m at sporting events all the time and see people doing all kinds of different things. I see many with hands folded at their waist in the front or in the back. I see many with their head held down, looking at the ground. Some just stand there like normal, hands to their side. I’m willing to bet average Joe Public couldn’t tell you even one of the 3 parts of the article you posted.

Agree on this. That is why I used 'guideline' for most people. Many have no idea this US Code section exist. Military do.

The key thing is the Anthem is, for most again, a time of personal thought, reflection, introspection, meditation and even personal prayer. It is not, and should not be treated as a group demonstration event where people 'link arms' as suggested by Aaron Rogers.

Not sure if posted but how should the NFL have handled this from the start.

Following their own well documented policies and game procedures would have been an appropriate action.

While some say there is no 'rule' citing the game rule book used by referees. The NFL Game Operations Manual is clear.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking.

NFL takes a lot of pride in the manual this is contained in.

See this link:

League Governance | NFL Football Operations

The league goes to great lengths to provide a consistent, fair, and TV- and fan-friendly product. It’s imperative that the games are decided on the field, between the two teams. The NFL Football Operations “bible” is the Game Operations Manual — nearly 200 pages of procedures and policy for regular season games alone.

The Game Operations Manual is one of the league’s three comprehensive policy manuals for member clubs — the other two are for administrative and business operations, and media and public relations — and, by necessity, it is often military-like in its precision and astonishing in its thoroughness.

(Emphasis included at website.)

So its thorough, its precise, its the bible.....its just not followed. Way to go NFL. Good luck putting the toothpaste back into the tube.

I think the Cowboys solution tonight was the best way to handle the situation. They kneeled together before the anthem and then stood respectfully while the anthem was played.

Jerry Jones handled the situation like a true leader should. Acknowledge that there is an issue, and I support seeking answers and solutions. However, we will do this within guidelines. We will not kneel during the National Anthem, because myself and a very large segment of our population find it offensive. Really doesn't seem that difficult.

Jerry did what he did with the situation to keep the $$$ flowing. Nothing more. Kneel before to make a stance and keep the sponsors happy. Stand for the anthem and keep the natives happy. Dont forget what state the Cowboys are in.

Jerry did what he did with the situation to keep the $$$ flowing. Nothing more. Kneel before to make a stance and keep the sponsors happy. Stand for the anthem and keep the natives happy. Dont forget what state the Cowboys are in.

That's exactly my point. Why didn't the other owners handle it the same way? Everybody goes home happy.

Not sure if posted but how should the NFL have handled this from the start.

Following their own well documented policies and game procedures would have been an appropriate action.

While some say there is no 'rule' citing the game rule book used by referees. The NFL Game Operations Manual is clear.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking.

NFL takes a lot of pride in the manual this is contained in.

See this link:

League Governance | NFL Football Operations

The league goes to great lengths to provide a consistent, fair, and TV- and fan-friendly product. It’s imperative that the games are decided on the field, between the two teams. The NFL Football Operations “bible” is the Game Operations Manual — nearly 200 pages of procedures and policy for regular season games alone.

The Game Operations Manual is one of the league’s three comprehensive policy manuals for member clubs — the other two are for administrative and business operations, and media and public relations — and, by necessity, it is often military-like in its precision and astonishing in its thoroughness.

(Emphasis included at website.)

So its thorough, its precise, its the bible.....its just not followed. Way to go NFL. Good luck putting the toothpaste back into the tube.

In His Own Words: Colin Kaepernick’s Anthem Protest Was Against The Flag And The Country | Mediaite

I want to post this article for all to read. It seems some on the left and the media are trying to change the narrative in saying the protest was not meant to disrespect the flag or country. When the man who started the protest in his own words said that was exactly what he was doing because of his perceived injustices.

In His Own Words: Colin Kaepernick’s Anthem Protest Was Against The Flag And The Country | Mediaite

I want to post this article for all to read. It seems some on the left and the media are trying to change the narrative in saying the protest was not meant to disrespect the flag or country. When the man who started the protest in his own words said that was exactly what he was doing because of his perceived injustices.

I suppose that you can read his quote and take it however one would like to support whichever way one feels about all of this.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

I know that some take "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country...", and run with it like they can't be bothered to hear the entire quote and understand the core of its sentiment.

You'll say that "there's no mistaking what he said", and if that's all that you're hearing I can see why you would, but that's not all that I'm hearing nor am I believing that it's presented in the way that you hope to prove that it is.

Even the article itself bolded "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country..."..without highlighting the rest... "that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

What there is no mistaking is that the writer of the article wants the reader to see only what he is seeing, and to continue the notion that this whole thing is meant to be disrespect for the flag, which time and again it has been stated by so many that it is not.

Do we want to finally wake up and listen, or do we just want to continue to pass off a false narrative with the hopes that we can avoid ever getting to the root of the problem?

I suppose that you can read his quote and take it however one would like to support whichever way one feels about all of this.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

I know that some take "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country...", and run with it like they can't be bothered to hear the entire quote and understand the core of its sentiment.

You'll say that "there's no mistaking what he said", and if that's all that you're hearing I can see why you would, but that's not all that I'm hearing nor am I believing that it's presented in the way that you hope to prove that it is.

Even the article itself bolded "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country..."..without highlighting the rest... "that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

What there is no mistaking is that the writer of the article wants the reader to see only what he is seeing, and to continue the notion that this whole thing is meant to be disrespect for the flag, which time and again it has been stated by so many that it is not.

Do we want to finally wake up and listen, or do we just want to continue to pass off a false narrative with the hopes that we can avoid ever getting to the root of the problem?

It doesn't change the fact that he chose to disrespect the flag to get this message across in his own words. So I don't want to hear anyone tell me this isn't about disrespecting the flag. He doesn't feel like the flag or country deserves to be honored . Which is his right but I'm not going to agree with it.