Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Public Address Announcer: Cheerleader or "Just the facts"

PA preference: Cheerleader or Just the facts? 59 members have voted

  1. 1. PA preference: Cheerleader or Just the facts?

    • Cheerleader
      13%
    • Just the facts
      86%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Which type of public address announcer do you prefer? How do you describe your home PA guy. Are there any female fooball PA folks in Kentucky to ypur knoledge?

  • Replies 44
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the record I hate PA guys that think people are there to hear what they say. The ones that try to act like radio play by play guys really irritate me. I think Trinity's guy is fairly even. He may sound a little more animated when Trinity makes a big play but I would no means describe him as a cheerleader. He never encourages the crowd and pretty much sticks to the facts of what's happening on the field. We will definitely have a cheerleader on the mike this Friday at Male.

I like a PA who mostly reports the facts, shows a little emphasis every once in a while, but doesn't get carried away with it. After all you are the home team.

Personally I can't stand a cheerleader on the PA.

Just give me the facts....and after the play has ended. Not play-by-play description as the play in unfolding.

Big time pet peeve of mine.

 

The PA guy should relay the pertinent information to the fans, and not much else. He should know when to speak and when to be silent. He doesn't have to be a robot, and I'm OK if he gets a little excited for the home team, but I absolutely hate a cheerleader. That job description should not involve trying to "pump up" the crowd or players. That's horrible. And while I am at it, I can live without the guys who think they have to play a musical interlude between plays too. How did this ever get started?

 

At Belfry we had a hall of fame type PA guy for many years, Steve Phillips, who passed away about 10 years ago and it has been a bit of a revolving door since then. Some have been really good, some have been like listening to a WWE match. The current guy is doing a great job, IMO.

I like a PA who mostly reports the facts, shows a little emphasis every once in a while, but doesn't get carried away with it. After all you are the home team.

 

Yep. After the play, be happy for your team.

  • Author

I find this an appropriate time for this discussion because Trinity plays at Male this Friday. Male's PA guy will talk during a play. "Smith over the right side .....for 5 yards". He will encourage the fans to cheer especially on third down and defense needs a stop. He will get very excited and let his emotions be heard through the microphone.

 

Warren Central (IN) guy was "yelling" all night, trying to get their student section into a frenzy. "Let's go Waaarrrrrioooorrrrssss!" "Get behind your defense".

 

Trinity's long time PA will simply call what happens after the play is over. He rarely shows any voice inflection. He is not a "homer", he is Just the facts". He does have to "thank" a lot of sponsors and give upcoming event announcements as directed by school administration, often between plays. He'll never say "There goes Moore for a touchdown".

I like a PA who mostly reports the facts, shows a little emphasis every once in a while, but doesn't get carried away with it. After all you are the home team.

 

This.

Facts....and the fewer the better. If you want to be a cheerleader, become a PA announcer for a college basketball team.

Just the facts. In my travels the guy I like best is from Bellaire,Ohio.He is spot on after every play. He calls out the number of the player with the ball followed by his name and then says the name and the number of the tackler or tacklers. This is all I need along with where the ball is spotted and he does that too..

When I've done the PA for NewCath I just give the facts, however I would like to give a "shout-out" for a great catch, run, bruising hit/tackle, etc.....FOR BOTH TEAMS, but I always refrain.

 

I did give Coach Haywood a plug on the release of his book when Belfry visited NewCath last year.

 

51miHtBgjrL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Homer PA guys are annoying and is bush league. I think STX PA guy is pretty neutral and does a good job.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.