September 29, 200620 yr I will give you my opinion of rankings in general; teams and players. Conn or Syracuse, I can't recall which, was barely in the top 25 a few years ago in February and won the NCAA. Fla last year was barely ranked in the top 20 and we know what they did, so results after playing impress me the most. As for players, we had the best class a few years ago and they were with us last year, WOW. Did they ever pay dividends???? Let's remember, in 2005 we were treated to a great season with a near final four double overtime game with State. Not a good season last year, but not a disaster. Wouldn't want another, but not a disaster. A couple of years before, we dominated the nation in the regular season and had a 26 game winning streak. Just one mediocre season which still had 20 victories. Just not a Ky season. Who knows, this one might be a great one. But I wouldn't let the opinions of others dictate my opinion till I see the person or team play. You may get surprised.
September 29, 200620 yr Come on guys, I'm not trying to be hyper critcial by does this commitment really get you excited? So what qualifies as a great class? Lets assume that UKmustangs information is correct and UK gets commitments from Lucas, Stewart, and Patterson. Is this a great class? Only Patterson is in the top 40 with Lucas at 42. According to Rivals UK isn't listed with anyone in the top 10. I know I don't know a thing about UK recruiting since I have only been following it for 25 years but if UK misses on Patterson they are in big trouble because Hickson is a long shot at best. Basically the entire recruiting season boils down to Patrick Patterson. What is your deal...tubby basher. Adam Morrison was NO star. D wade was not highly rated. Rankings dont matter! Do you not understand that??
September 29, 200620 yr According to Scout, his other scholarship offer was from American University. Never thought I'd see the day that the University of Kentucky was in a recruiting battle with the mighty American University!!!
September 29, 200620 yr Didn't UNC offer Carter? I seem to remember Coach Williams coming to Gtown. Yes he did, he just wanted Carter to redshirt. Carter is originally from North Carolina. UC wanted him to, Huggins actually was going to give his brother a scholly for a manager position.
September 29, 200620 yr A couple of things to consider here. Here is a big kid, literally big. He is not going to scare off any elite players. Secondly, UK has a lot of scholarships to give this year. You take a shot with this kid, and you cant compare him to Shagari, because this kid has beef on him and will be tough to move from the post.
September 29, 200620 yr A couple of things to consider here. Here is a big kid, literally big. He is not going to scare off any elite players. Secondly, UK has a lot of scholarships to give this year. You take a shot with this kid, and you cant compare him to Shagari, because this kid has beef on him and will be tough to move from the post. Kid does look pretty solid for a 7 footer. People have been talking about how he has great hands and if he gets the ball in the post he can score. Part of the reason he isnt highly ranked is because he was out of shape and well over 300 pounds for a while and during the summer AAU circuit he couldnt play because he had a cyst removed from his knee. Now he has lost around 60 pounds and is healthy and ready to play. Will be interesting to see how he progresses.
September 29, 200620 yr Things arent looking good for the future. Act like it isnt all you want but more and more people are opening their eyes at what UK is becoming. And this will only make it grow.
September 29, 200620 yr Things arent looking good for the future. Act like it isnt all you want but more and more people are opening their eyes at what UK is becoming. And this will only make it grow.
September 29, 200620 yr I am just amazed at the number of people that are living in the past. Although UK has the most wins in college ball and we can't imagine why a kid wouldn't want to come to UK times have changed. I personally think Pitino is the best college coach in the nation and don't blame him for taking the Louisville job,it was the best one available and he took it. That being said I think Tubby is in the top 5 and we should be glad he's here. I agree with alot of things being said on here about not devoloping our big men,but that goes back to a trait that I think we all think is important loyalty. He is loyal to his assistants whether we think some need to go or not. I was as frustrated as anyone last year,and am dissapointed we haven't been back to a final four,but we will get there. I know for a fact Tubby has worked his tale off this year on the recruiting trail and it will pay dividends. This post is way off track but I just needed to get it off my chest. The Williams kid is huge and for his sake and Tubby's I hope he turns into another Nazi.
September 29, 200620 yr A couple of things to consider here. Here is a big kid, literally big. He is not going to scare off any elite players. Secondly, UK has a lot of scholarships to give this year. You take a shot with this kid, and you cant compare him to Shagari, because this kid has beef on him and will be tough to move from the post. Maybe he's another 'Woo' then. He's not pencil thin and has the ability to move in the post, he just doesn't. Unless you qualify falling down at the sight of an opposing player as movement. Im not trying to bash this kid at all, any 7 footer has potential. It's just with UK's recent track record with 7 footers, noone knows what will become of this kid. UK needs to start recruiting players based on their current ability, rather than all these "what if's." What if the sky was yellow and the sun was blue?
September 29, 200620 yr Wow, did you think of that all by yourself??? :rolleyes: He's the worst recruiter UK has ever had as a coach. And if you are a Tubby supporter, then when they fire him (eventually it will happen) you can go support the team he lands with.
September 29, 200620 yr If you say Fire Tubby!To me thats only one half of a quote! Let us know who you would replace him with? I can't really come up with one person in particular that I would say is absoltely the right fit. But I feel that if a coach who plays an up-tempo style of ball came in and showed people that it is still fun to play at UK the lure of Kentucky basketball would help bring in the athletes that have been by-passing Tubby Smith coached teams the past couple of years. I guess what I am saying is that UK's style of play hurts their recruiting effort more than anything else. And that I am tired of the 7-foot projects that do not help the school win basketball games.
September 29, 200620 yr He's the worst recruiter UK has ever had as a coach. And if you are a Tubby supporter, then when they fire him (eventually it will happen) you can go support the team he lands with. So to be a UK fan you need to want to fire Tubby?
September 29, 200620 yr Author Reading these posts are purely amusing and helps me make it through the day w/a smile on my face. So many people have such a disdain taste in their mouth for Tubby Smith and it makes no sense at all. Times have changed in the college basketball world tremendously and many UK fans don't understand that at all. I like the fans that complain one day and cheer the coach the next, you can't have it both ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 29, 200620 yr I am just amazed at the number of people that are living in the past. Although UK has the most wins in college ball and we can't imagine why a kid wouldn't want to come to UK times have changed. I personally think Pitino is the best college coach in the nation and don't blame him for taking the Louisville job,it was the best one available and he took it. That being said I think Tubby is in the top 5 and we should be glad he's here. I agree with alot of things being said on here about not devoloping our big men,but that goes back to a trait that I think we all think is important loyalty. He is loyal to his assistants whether we think some need to go or not. I was as frustrated as anyone last year,and am dissapointed we haven't been back to a final four,but we will get there. I know for a fact Tubby has worked his tale off this year on the recruiting trail and it will pay dividends. This post is way off track but I just needed to get it off my chest. The Williams kid is huge and for his sake and Tubby's I hope he turns into another Nazi. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.