Collective Soul

My wife and I saw Collective Soul in Corbin last night and it was a lot of fun. Nineties bands Tonic and Our Lady Peace opened. All sounded a little older but still good. I was always a big CS fan and seeing them live was a treat. Not a huge crowd (not sure the Corbin Arena is great acoustically for music) but everyone enjoyed it. Were any other BGPers there?

Saw Collective Soul back in '93 or '94 at Bogarts in Cincinnati when they were touring on the strength of their debut single "Shine" off of their first release. The show was fine, but when they played "Shine", (as the encore I believe) it truly was one of the most memorable excellently delivered tunes that I had ever heard live. It seriously out(shined) every tune that they had played in the set, and you could tell by the looks on everyone faces that we collectively knew that we had just heard a magnificent song played live.

Also saw Our Lady Peace on their first release "Naveed" around the same time, and my mind's eye can still visualize them on stage, and it being in a relatively small venue, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly just where the show was. I'm thinking that it was somewhere on the westside of Cincy in a place not known as a venue for national touring acts, and I'm certain that it's the only time that I've ever seen a show there, yet I just don't recall the place's name, or exactly where it was located. It sorta felt something like a high school cafeteria where one might hold a not so terribly fancy wedding reception, or perhaps a high school dance.

I can still see in my mind the lead singer wearing either a red football or hockey jersey, and me not being terribly impressed with his live voice as it came over as forced and raw. I wanted to like them, and though I dug their single "Starseed" at the time, I think that it was this show that had me pretty much dismissing them from that point forward.

Never saw Tonic live, but recall digging their tune "If You Could Only See"... had to listen again because it's been years since I've even thought of the tune... catchy instantly likable song.