ESPN Cutting Employees Today

Wireman

I think people probably liked it better when they looped SportsCenter reruns back-to-back. But at some point ESPN realized it was more valuable to have these “hot takes” shows on instead. The market is saturated with them now, and people like Skip Bayless feigning complete idiocy has lost its shock value. At the end of the day their bread and butter are live sports and recap shows, but I think there’s a ceiling on the eyeballs who will tune into SC daily.

That’s just one person’s unresearched and probably ill-informed opinion. Maybe they’re just out of touch now. Matthew Berry’s new fantasy show is cringeworthy, and I hope that’s not what they think younger viewers like.

There’s so many other places to get scores/updates that you don’t have to watch whatever SC is pushing.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s so many other places to get scores/updates that you don’t have to watch whatever SC is pushing.

That is a good point. We have NFL network, all these college conference networks, Fox Sports, online options ... I guess we shouldn't be surprised that ESPN is losing market share when there are all these other outlets available.

That is a good point. We have NFL network, all these college conference networks, Fox Sports, online options ... I guess we shouldn't be surprised that ESPN is losing market share when there are all these other outlets available.

Not to mention the internet. You can now get highlights almost right after they happen. By the time Sports Center comes on, it's already old news. In a nutshell, that's why I no longer watch Sports Center more than a couple times a year.

Not to mention the internet. You can now get highlights almost right after they happen. By the time Sports Center comes on, it's already old news. In a nutshell, that's why I no longer watch Sports Center more than a couple times a year.

Twitter gives me all the relevant highlights I want to see in 5 minutes usually. I don't have to watch Sports center for 90 minutes to see them.

There are sporting events happening all over the world pretty much all hours of the day.

I personally think they would be better off broadcasting those events instead of talking heads and multiple Sports Centers.

I know I would watch Aussie rules football, curling, archery, rugby etc.

If I want talking heads, I can listen to the radio.

There are sporting events happening all over the world pretty much all hours of the day.

I personally think they would be better off broadcasting those events instead of talking heads and multiple Sports Centers.

I know I would watch Aussie rules football, curling, archery, rugby etc.

If I want talking heads, I can listen to the radio.

ESPN used to do that. I used to watch Aussie rules football on ESPN back in the day, before the internet. They used to have the world strongest man competitions, bowling, billiards, iron man competitions, fitness competitions, powerboat races, ..., etc..

ESPN used to do that. I used to watch Aussie rules football on ESPN back in the day, before the internet. They used to have the world strongest man competitions, bowling, billiards, iron man competitions, fitness competitions, powerboat races, ..., etc..

Random numbers of people watch those but nothing consistent. Many people have ESPN on even if they aren't watching. I'm certain they get higher ratings for the shows they have instead of sporadically showing Aussie Rules or bowling or whatever else they might show.

Random numbers of people watch those but nothing consistent. Many people have ESPN on even if they aren't watching. I'm certain they get higher ratings for the shows they have instead of sporadically showing Aussie Rules or bowling or whatever else they might show.

I'm sure they do, but those ratings decline every year, hence the downsizing that is going on. At some point, they'll have to go back to their roots.

The next round of negotiations for college football and basketball contracts will be interesting.

True but I bet the cost of production is less than they pay a lot of on air talent.

Twitter gives me all the relevant highlights I want to see in 5 minutes usually. I don't have to watch Sports center for 90 minutes to see them.

Yup Twitter and Facebook are a huge part of the other ways to find scores. ESPN is late to the tech party or thought they were bigger than it.

Yup Twitter and Facebook are a huge part of the other ways to find scores. ESPN is late to the tech party or thought they were bigger than it.

I know people are going to laugh but it will ring true in 5-10 years . ESPN is making the same mistake newspapers and blockbuster made. They were arrogant about their dominance and quit innovating. If you aren't always changing in the world of business you are already losing.

When these sports contracts come up and Facebook, Apple and Amazon start bidding it will be the demise of ESPN as we know it.

I made this same argument about Newspapers well over 10 years ago on here and got laughed at.

• 1 month later...