Are you ready for the Singularity - Elon Musk thinks it can start in 4 years

theguru

I feel the same way but the problem will be anyone that successfully transitions won't be working for you, you will be working for them.

I was just talking to my dad about this last night. Not on this scale, but something similar. If you don't master a trade or do something with electronics you will not have a job in 20 years. It's just a really depressing reality IMO.

I was just talking to my dad about this last night. Not on this scale, but something similar. If you don't master a trade or do something with electronics you will not have a job in 20 years. It's just a really depressing reality IMO.

We are at the tip of the iceberg.

When you couple tech implants with designer babies it really starts to get scary.

Green thinks that technological advances could make “design” increasingly versatile. In the next 40-50 years, he says, “we’ll start seeing the use of gene editing and reproductive technologies for enhancement: blond hair and blue eyes, improved athletic abilities, enhanced reading skills or numeracy, and so on.

Designer babies: an ethical horror waiting to happen? | Science | The Guardian

Right, no one has all the answers, but throw Bill Gates, Steven Wozniak, and Elon Musk in that group too of smart guys that could be wrong about the emergence of Artificial Intelligence.

They very well could be right. We've just had so many "doomsayers" over the years that have turned out to be completely out of their gourds on this stuff that I can't take any of it too seriously. If it happens, it happens. Nothing we can do to change it IMO.

^ What is the point of continuing the human race if you are just going to turn everyone into robots or genetically alter them into what you want? The beauty of humans is how we are different and emotion and all that fun stuff.

That's a good question, by most metrics humans as we know them today will become vastly inferior to other beings on this planet in the not too distant future.

Who wants to go back to a rotary dial phone when we have smart phones? Herman Munster's sweet ride when we can buy a Tesla? A world with no Internet? Bow and Arrow? No Microwave? A 2 million year old design for a human brain?

Like it or not we humans are going to pass the torch soon.

hm.jpg

Im dead serious, you think there is not more than one alien life out their?

I am glad we are keeping it real in this thread.

We definitely agree that not all extra-terrestrial life is benevolent.

With that said, I believe the "Good Aliens" are already standing guard. Think about it, the Good Aliens don't want anyone messing with their Science Project.

They very well could be right. We've just had so many "doomsayers" over the years that have turned out to be completely out of their gourds on this stuff that I can't take any of it too seriously. If it happens, it happens. Nothing we can do to change it IMO.

It certainly is a difficult conundrum.

I don't want to get into politics but it is sort of like North Korea. Do nothing and eventually they will have a multitude of weapons that will result in mutually assured destruction. And I don't mean anytime soon everyone but if we do nothing with North Korea in 50 or a 100 years they will be an equal of sorts.

Coming full circle. Once the AI starts doing AI things, like solving difficult problems, the real possibility of mutually assured destruction puts the AI in a position of having to take over to protect humans from each other.

I am glad we are keeping it real in this thread.

We definitely agree that not all extra-terrestrial life is benevolent.

With that said, I believe the "Good Aliens" are already standing guard. Think about it, the Good Aliens don't want anyone messing with their Science Project.

Fair point.

Does that mean I damn sure better ditch my flip phone and start tweeting? One of my students told me recently that I needed to get a newer phone and leave the 1980's behind. :)

If I was giving you advice I probably wouldn't start with upgrading your current phone. :)

The Singularity is the convergence of man and machine. It's not about making men into robots or robots into men, but evolution of the human species. Humans that can think faster, imagine greater, last longer, and accomplish more while operating more efficiently.

The work they have done on recreating the human brain is amazing, but still has a long way to go.

The brain, an electro-chemical device, is not anywhere near as fast the tablet or phone you are posting to BGP on. Watson can even reason and make decisions based on reason. However, the fastest computer in the world cannot do one thing that the brain can, parallel processing, millions of processes simultaneously that interact with each other.