What has happened to the ACC teams?

Yellow Card

The reason it matters in basketball is that a conference deemed the best will get more teams in to the tournament. Maybe the ACC wasn't as good as the experts thought and maybe the 8th and 9th place teams didn't deserve to be in the tournament. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd place finisher should have been in there instead.

I do believe the ACC was the best conference but now it may not have been quite as strong as some thought.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an SEC fan, pure and simple. I root for them in football, basketball, baseball, softball etc......It really doesnt matter if you have an opinion on this.

Can you explain to me why though? That's all I want to hear.

The reason it matters in basketball is that a conference deemed the best will get more teams in to the tournament. Maybe the ACC wasn't as good as the experts thought and maybe the 8th and 9th place teams didn't deserve to be in the tournament. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd place finisher should have been in there instead.

I do believe the ACC was the best conference but now it may not have been quite as strong as some thought.

Like I said last night, who was getting in over them? The biggest bubble team that didn't make it was Syracuse. There was nobody else to put in.

Like I said last night, who was getting in over them? The biggest bubble team that didn't make it was Syracuse. There was nobody else to put in.

This year I agree. Very weak bubble. Illinois State may have had an argument but really no one else.

It frustrates me because people use it to justify their opinion on a team instead by their merits. I just don't understand rooting for or against a conference instead of individual teams. Like the SEC doesn't play football, the schools do. The ACC doesn't play basketball, schools do. You mentioned believing in conference affiliations, what is there to believe in? It's just a group of schools who have agreed to play sports against each other. Judging conferences based on merit when they formed due to geographics and money is absolutely foolish to me.

For me, I do cheer for the SEC teams. Why?

Because I believe that the strength of the conference helps recruiting for all teams in the conference. The best thing for my team -UK- is for the conference to be good.

I want the SEC basketball of the 90's back. I liked it. From 1990 - 2000 the SEC put 10 teams in the Final Four. The competition was fantastic and recruits wanted to play in the SEC.

You can bet anything you want that the coaches in the SEC will be touting the success of the conference to recruits. Just like the ACC is touting the success of the football programs to their recruits.

So, in my opinnion, the better your conference does, the better it is for your school.

Can't speak for the rest of the league, but I don't think it's surprising to note that this Louisville team had some flaws that came home to roost in that Michigan game.

They take bad shots on occasion. They occasionally get turned around on defense in a way recent Louisville teams haven't. They lose focus on the easy ones and miss layups. They panic when a lead starts to slip and do more of all the stuff listed above.

In the end, this team had more in common with the 2006-07 Cardinals than I think most of us wanted to admit. Really good during the regular season but had flaws that were exposed when they traveled away from home and ultimately not good enough to get to the second weekend in a tough game. The next two years (though they didn't result in Final Fours) were very good for Louisville. We'll see if this experience -- and depending on who returns -- translates into a successful 2017-18.

I think a lot of the ACC squads had similar problems that we were prepared to gloss over in preparation. Last year the league was phenomenally good in tournament play. Maybe let that interfere with our collective judgment.

I don't hold the UL loss as a big upset myself. Michigan lives by the 3 and dies by the 3. Their first round game they made 16 3's and only won by 1 point. It's just what it is. No big deal that UL lost to them, any team in the country can lose to any other team that fires that many 3's and makes that many.

I understand that and I'm the first to criticize the sports media for cramming that garbage down our throats year round, but in reality the SEC was devoid of a decent team all year outside of UK and Florida. But the fact that 2 games against UNC and Duke can change that is just as ridiculous as the ACC praising that would have came had Duke and UNC blown out Arkansas and SC by 25 points. I just wish when we discussed teams we had a better way to judge them based on merit instead of trying to justify our opinion based on conferences which are largely something they have no control over.
Fair enough, lets judge them by the individual teams then. Duke once again overrated and once again makes an early exit because they again were seeded too high. Maybe one of these years after Coach K leaves they will learn to play better competition during the season and before they hit their conference games to help them prepare for the tournament like other teams who usually go deeper in the tournament do.

I wouldn't put any other 68 teams that got in than did. It's not who got in, but the seedings are more of an issue. Did Duke deserve a 2 seed? No, not in my mind, not a team that had 8 losses and 3 losses since the committee released their top 16 on Feb 11th, and on top of that many people were crying for Duke to get a 1 seed. It's not the teams that got in that were the issue but where they were seeded.

Can you explain to me why though? That's all I want to hear.

I am an SEC fan mainly because those are the schools I grew up watching. Im not big on the new schools that have come in because I did not grow up watching them. I am a graduate of an SEC school, I like competing against SEC schools, I have a lot of friends who have went to neighboring SEC schools..... All conferences have allegiances. I just prefer "Bear", "Baron", "Saturday afternoon on the Bayou" and "String Music"

For me, I do cheer for the SEC teams. Why?

Because I believe that the strength of the conference helps recruiting for all teams in the conference. The best thing for my team -UK- is for the conference to be good.

I want the SEC basketball of the 90's back. I liked it. From 1990 - 2000 the SEC put 10 teams in the Final Four. The competition was fantastic and recruits wanted to play in the SEC.

You can bet anything you want that the coaches in the SEC will be touting the success of the conference to recruits. Just like the ACC is touting the success of the football programs to their recruits.

So, in my opinnion, the better your conference does, the better it is for your school.

This is completely false. It's only the lesser, less successful schools in a conference that use the success of the teams at the top to promote themselves. It's a parasitic practice. Kentucky basketball and Alabama Football don't use the SEC to recruit. But Kentucky football and NC State basketball use their respective conferences to recruit. It makes ZERO difference to the teams that have a say in the eventual outcome of the season.

I am an SEC fan mainly because those are the schools I grew up watching. Im not big on the new schools that have come in because I did not grow up watching them. I am a graduate of an SEC school, I like competing against SEC schools, I have a lot of friends who have went to neighboring SEC schools..... All conferences have allegiances. I just prefer "Bear", "Baron", "Saturday afternoon on the Bayou" and "String Music"

To me they should be your rivals, not your friends.

This is completely false. It's only the lesser, less successful schools in a conference that use the success of the teams at the top to promote themselves. It's a parasitic practice. Kentucky basketball and Alabama Football don't use the SEC to recruit. But Kentucky football and NC State basketball use their respective conferences to recruit. It makes ZERO difference to the teams that have a say in the eventual outcome of the season.

I think you are completely wrong and we will just have to disagree.

I think you are completely wrong and we will just have to disagree.

That's fine if you just want to agree to disagree, but I really want you to try and disprove what I'm saying. I genuinely believe that conference praising solely came from marketing geniuses at schools who were in a conference where a national champion came from. There is only one thing that the SEC is undeniably better at than any other conference: Marketing.