What has happened to the ACC teams?

Yellow Card

I suppose if there's one reason for bringing this discussion up for me, it goes back to 2015.

The Cats were beaten on this site by many when they finally lost because the SEC did not prepare them for the rigors of the NCAA and playing difficult teams like Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

But here we are in 2017 and its the ACC teams losing in the early rounds. Did their conference not prepare them for playing difficult teams?

Of course it did. It just happens. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. But don't bash the SEC (deservedly so most times) and then not expect some reciprocation from others when the "worm turns."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read a single post in this thread and don't plan to. The ACC was the strongest conference this season top to bottom. In a one and done situation game flow and matchups determine the winner of the game. In the NCAA tournament this year it was a perfect storm of both for the ACC. It happens. The results of one and done games don't determine conference strength for me.

Until they start handing out trophies for best conference this whole argument is ridiculous.

I love you Grant, but how many times do you want to go around in circles about this subject? Your mind is made and not going to be persuaded.

I haven't read a single post in this thread and don't plan to. The ACC was the strongest conference this season top to bottom. In a one and done situation game flow and matchups determine the winner of the game. In the NCAA tournament this year it was a perfect storm of both for the ACC. It happens. The results of one and done games don't determine conference strength for me.
That brings up a great question. What exactly does determine a great conference if how they perform in a national tournament isn't what is used as a gauge? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm truly curious to what people think determines whether a conference is strong or not.

I saw a good explanation on the strength of a conference on Mike and Mike this morning. Saying that in football a lot of the times how a conference does in bowl games is looked at how strong the conference really is. Which in football the bowl games are not as important because now unless you are one of the 4 teams in the playoffs a lot teams its not that big of deal that the conference is more important during the season. However in basketball the strength of a conference is and should be focused on during the tournament when teams play teams from other conferences.

If we believe the SEC was better than the ACC because of the tourney results then we also believe that the Gamecocks are better than UK.

I still think that the ACC was the strongest conference this season, I also believe that the SEC was not as weak as several made it out to be.

I feel that one conference helped their case with how they played in the tourney and that one didn't.

I still think that the ACC was the strongest conference this season, I also believe that the SEC was not as weak as several made it out to be.

I feel that one conference helped their case with how they played in the tourney and that one didn't.

It was, anyone who says different is lying to themselves. There isnt a team in the country that could have gone through that gauntlet and came out with less than 5 losses.