The Jake

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh, No.

Chris Haynes was a remarkable athlete, but I believe a one year wonder for Carl Wendroth's Eagles.

I'm no expert in this field, but I always understood his big year was that '89 team, and there was trouble after that.

Regardless. He was good, but he wasn't The Jake!

Ohmer can play D1. He guards at a very high level. Those that were at the games saw him guarding both of the big guys from PCC, a huge mismatch but Ohmer is strong and active. I was just as impressed with him on the defensive/rebounding end then his offense. All around PLAYER. Give me him any day of the week.

I'm no expert in this field, but I always understood his big year was that '89 team, and there was trouble after that.

Regardless. He was good, but he wasn't The Jake!

We played Scott in 89' Regional Tournament 1st round at Holmes. Haynes was a dominant player who was exceptionally athletic. They had a really good team that year with the Smith's Scotty and Rob, Mark Kirby, Haynes and forget the other starter.

One issue with the NKU talk is the numbers game...

NKU has McDonald, Garnett, Williams, Holland, Faulkner, Gillis, Walton, Garrett, Maxwell, Tate, and Cobb all returning. I know they've got the big kid from Graves, Vogt, coming in next season. Not sure if they already have anyone else or not.

One issue with the NKU talk is the numbers game...

NKU has McDonald, Garnett, Williams, Holland, Faulkner, Gillis, Walton, Garrett, Maxwell, Tate, and Cobb all returning. I know they've got the big kid from Graves, Vogt, coming in next season. Not sure if they already have anyone else or not.

I would assume Brannen has the Spellman scholarship available. I haven't heard if he intends to use it this year or not. Perhaps there are some unsigned kids (juco?) who now have NKU on their radar based on recent success.

Makes sense to use that scholarship to help balance out the classes.

Maybe it's just me, but IMO The Jake flew under the radar outside of Northern Kentucky for all but about the last 2-3 weeks of his high school career. Given his numbers, I don't know why that was---again, could be me.

Maybe it's just me, but IMO The Jake flew under the radar outside of Northern Kentucky for all but about the last 2-3 weeks of his high school career. Given his numbers, I don't know why that was---again, could be me.

It does seem absurd, because he has been this good for the last two years. When you think about it, though, these kids at traditionally good but not great programs fly under the radar because the school and team is not one most pay attention to in the 9th, now 10th, like Holmes and CovCath in the 9th or Mason Co. and GRC in the 10th through the years. They played in a very good Lexington Catholic Holiday Tournament, but many of the high rated schools were playing or just had played in the KOB.

The people in NKY knew about him, but remember NKY is not Louisville or Lexington where the press is paid attention to on a statewide level. NKY, although those that work it are competent and try, just don't seem to have the resources to follow as much anymore and the rest of the state doesn't pay attention to we Northerners. Just the way it is. Not sure it will change. Although the play of NKY teams over the last ten years is getting noticed a lot more.

I think most people don't realize in the state there are more high schools and people in NKY's 3 counties (app 350K) than in Lexington (Fayette) (app. 320K). NKY is in a much larger metro area, but most of those are in Ohio (the river might as well be the Atlantic Ocean to most NKYer's) which is part of the stigma attached to NKY, right or wrong, like it or not, it is that way. Fayette's metro is all Kentucky.

Once they got to the big stage and he played at the high level he did, then it happens. It has happened before and will happen again.

I think a lot of people had heard the name, but had no idea until they saw him in the flesh and under the bright lights.

There are more in the state, similar maybe not quite as good, who didn't make it to Rupp that will go unnoticed by all but the locals and have nice small college careers.

This is more a product of the previous things I mentioned in this lengthy post than anything personal at all against "the Jake" over the last few years.

Did he play AAU? That's where the bulk of the recruiting happens unless he makes it down state as Maniac mentioned.