The Jake

Right, I would say he will not need to worry about the financial obligation now. I think he will get several D-1's in the ball park of WKU type schools, which is AWESOME!!!

A great performance on The grand stag often leads to some nice offers. He will probably be breaking some hearts at Cumberland.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very impressive run. Truly legendary.

Where I have to put the brakes on the D1 discussion, though, and especially at NKU, is he's still 6'1", and has to play on the other side of the court. If you score 40, but the guy you're guarding scores 41, you're hurting the team. justsayin

Where I have to put the brakes on the D1 discussion, though, and especially at NKU, is he's still 6'1", and has to play on the other side of the court. If you score 40, but the guy you're guarding scores 41, you're hurting the team. justsayin

That's ridiculous. Aaron Craft was the best defender in the Big Ten for 4 years at Oho State and he might be an inch taller than Jake. Plenty of short guys out there that play incredible defense. With the tenacity that Jake has, his defense would be the least of my worries as a D1 coach. Seems like one of those kids that all you have to do is tell him "You Can't" and he'll prove to you that he can.

A second motion that this is ridiculous. Not sure why you also say "especially at NKU." The Norse need any strong-willed/determined help they can get.

Side note: Louisville's Pitino and Kentucky with a coach named Tubby didn't think a player named Chris Lofton was good enough to play at a high level. Both found out the hard way they were wrong.

That's ridiculous. Aaron Craft was the best defender in the Big Ten for 4 years at Oho State and he might be an inch taller than Jake. Plenty of short guys out there that play incredible defense. With the tenacity that Jake has, his defense would be the least of my worries as a D1 coach. Seems like one of those kids that all you have to do is tell him "You Can't" and he'll prove to you that he can.

Whoa now! Aaron Craft was a 4-star recruit, and has dipped his toes in the NBA pool. Let's not get too far out over our skis.

A second motion that this is ridiculous. Not sure why you also say "especially at NKU." The Norse need any strong-willed/determined help they can get.

Let's not forget that NKU already has a 6'1" guard who scored 36.6 points per game in high school, can get to the rim at will, and is an absolute bucket filler. But IMO, his time is limited on the court because he is still learning to guard at the D1 level.

I'm quite confident John Brannen knows who Jake Ohmer is, and has not offered. And as @TAC said, what Jake has produced the last two weeks is what he has been doing for several years. But the success of the the Norse the last two weeks also allows Brannen to cast his net a little wider, and in much deeper water. justsayin

Jake Ohmer's upside > than justsayin's personal opinion. justsayin

lol! Good one :)

Let's try

John Brannen's opinion > camelman's opinion

Its all good. I'm not taking anything away from Jake's career. As I said, legendary.

Whoa now! Aaron Craft was a 4-star recruit, and has dipped his toes in the NBA pool. Let's not get too far out over our skis.

Maybe I should have been more clear on my statement: Just because a kid is 6'1" doesn't mean he can't defend. Wasn't trying to compare Jake to Craft on anything more than that (although Jake is probably a better shooter that Craft ever was).

Defense is all about hard work and determination which I think Jake has plenty of both. Lots of 6'5", 5 star guys that can't defend. Watch UK play today and you'll see that!

Maybe I should have been more clear on my statement: Just because a kid is 6'1" doesn't mean he can't defend. Wasn't trying to compare Jake to Craft on anything more than that (although Jake is probably a better shooter that Craft ever was).

Defense is all about hard work and determination which I think Jake has plenty of both. Lots of 6'5", 5 star guys that can't defend. Watch UK play today and you'll see that!

Jake is a very good a player and there might be a D1 school that will give him a shot but he isnt any better than Trent Gilbert of Scott County who lit up many schools in his career at Scott County and is now averaging 10 points a game at Georgetown. If Jake has to play the point at the D1 level I do think he will have a hard time defending some of the quick point guards that he would have to compete against. Also he will have a hard time finishing in the lane against D1 competition. He does 1 thing great that is worth teams definitely looking at and that is shooting the ball with unlimited range. I believe schools like NKU take in alot of factors when recruiting a point guard and Jake checks the box on some but there are questions on others.

Didn't he guard PCCs tallest player, out rebound him and deny him passes? I don't think defense is a problem. Kid was all over the court. His awareness was ridiculous,