Fern Creek 55 Ballard 52 (KHSAA Sweet 16 Quarterfinals)

Many of Fern Creek's turnovers were offensive charges. A few posters in the game update thread kept on saying "do away with the charge foul." My question is, What does the ref call when the dribbler completely runs over a stationary defender if there is no charge foul in the rule book?

A majority of those involved kids in the air and the defender being stationary in their landing spot. Those are the calls I have issue with because there isn't any consistency when refs make that call. I played in the late 80s and early 90s and it was only a charge if you beat the offensive player to the spot and he legitimately ran over you while he was still on the ground. The offensive player is at a disadvantage if he is in the air and can't land. I also hate when an offensive player makes a pass and no longer has the ball and gets the charge because the defender gets stationary and takes the charge from someone who is no longer with the ball. They are legal charges by definition by I don't like how those calls are made now. I prefer the charge calls of my time when it was much harder to draw a charge. It was much easier to tell the difference.

Last night well after Fern Creek had their 7th offensive foul called on them a Ballard player went up for a shot while a stationary Fern Creek defender took a knee to the chest and the Ballard player fell on top of him. The ref called a blocking foul. It was so confusing.

A majority of those involved kids in the air and the defender being stationary in their landing spot. Those are the calls I have issue with because there isn't any consistency when refs make that call. I played in the late 80s and early 90s and it was only a charge if you beat the offensive player to the spot and he legitimately ran over you while he was still on the ground. The offensive player is at a disadvantage if he is in the air and can't land. I also hate when an offensive player makes a pass and no longer has the ball and gets the charge because the defender gets stationary and takes the charge from someone who is no longer with the ball. They are legal charges by definition by I don't like how those calls are made now. I prefer the charge calls of my time when it was much harder to draw a charge. It was much easier to tell the difference.

Last night well after Fern Creek had their 7th offensive foul called on them a Ballard player went up for a shot while a stationary Fern Creek defender took a knee to the chest and the Ballard player fell on top of him. The ref called a blocking foul. It was so confusing.

That was a helter skelter game to call last night for sure, and I think the refs for the most part did a good job, but you are right, that block call was greeted by a shower of boos and scratched heads, and if wasn't only from the FC faithful. It really did leave you wondering when and what is a charge for this game.

I feel horrible for Jamil. Yeesh.

Tough game for him. He didn't even act like he wanted to go back in the game. When #5 fouled out Wilson came back in and passed the ball as quickly as he caught it. Did not want the ball late. Would have never thought that.