Why Men Hate Going to Church

I grew up Southern Baptist. While I was in the Marines, I started attending a Free-Will Baptist church in North Carolina. Every week was fire and brimstone and how we're all on the road to hell. Within a month's time, I was done. What man wants to be beaten down week after week?

I attended a Freewill Baptist funeral recently and I'll be danged if the preacher didn't rip the roof off the funeral parlor for about an hour. He ripped all the sinners and said they were going straight to hell if they didn't get baptised and actually had an altar call at the funeral. I kind of grew up around this type of preaching, but my wife was thrown for a loop.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scooter, this is not meant for you, but this worked for me. I bought a Bible that had a footnotes to help explain scripture. Also I got Bible study books and other material. I broke down the New testament. Then I started to listen to different Preachers on the radio, if I heard something I didn't want to hear or the format I changed the channel. I called different Preachers and asked for sermon tapes. The church is there so we can worship God with other believers, to gain an deeper understanding, listen and participate with music, develop friendships, the church does save you, Jesus Christ through him is your passage way to Heaven. You don't need church to Love Jesus, but it helps. And finally were are told to attend a church in scripture.

Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

I agree that the church doesn't save you, Jesus does. But, I do think those two verses stress the importance of attending church and other functions and being in the company of other believers. It's for your spiritual growth, as well as theirs, and for the overall strengthening of the Body of Christ. I understand some people aren't able to get out and go very often, if at all. In that case, I think they have another purpose to serve. But, for people who are able, attending church is the least they should do. Not doing so is a selfish act on our behalf.

Sometimes I really do not feel like getting up and going. Staying in bed and sleeping for another hour or two is so tempting. I haven't given in since I really committed myself early this year, but believe me, I understand that sentiment. And sometimes it is a real inner struggle for me. What I have discovered though, is that almost without exception, once I get there, I'm really glad I did.

In my previous post I said "the church does save you" and I left off the n't. I need to proof read my writing but when I do I just confuse myself. 5wide I believe you understood what I was trying to get out. I have to get my wife and 2 sons moving on Sundays and like you said once I'm there I glad I feel the same. And those sons will hopefully choose to take their families to Church too someday..

In my previous post I said "the church does save you" and I left off the n't. I need to proof read my writing but when I do I just confuse myself. 5wide I believe you understood what I was trying to get out. I have to get my wife and 2 sons moving on Sundays and like you said once I'm there I glad I feel the same. And those sons will hopefully choose to take their families to Church too someday..

I did. Or at least, I assumed that you meant "doesn't". I've read enough of your posts to conclude that you don't think a person can be saved by going to church. :lol: