Why Men Hate Going to Church

I don't think the length is that big of a deal.

I think how engaging the semon is much more important.

MAN there is so much material going through my head with that one. But since you are a Mod, I'm gonna let you slide.:D

Amazing how the absence of just one letter can wreak such havoc and mayhem.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MAN there is so much material going through my head with that one. But since you are a Mod, I'm gonna let you slide.:D

Amazing how the absence of just one letter can wreak such havoc and mayhem.

:laugh:

As Larry the Cable Guy says, "I don't care who you are, that right there is funny."

Ladybballcoach's post about sermon length is interesting. I'm afraid that there is no way that I could (or would) remain attentive for a sermon lasting for my age plus 10 minutes. I suppose that may be why I get far more from the homilies at Catholic churches than I do at the "extended orations" at most Protestant churches. I don't think the service should be designed so that the sermon is the dominent part of the event and that everything else is secondary. Of course, I may be wrong because it seems to me that most operate that way.
The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible.

George Burns

Not speaking for men in general, but for me personally. My dislike is audience participation. I don't want to stand up and be recognized because it's my birthday, I'm visiting, it's Father's Day, my turn to lead prayer, or whatever. I sometimes wish we had one of those Mega Churches in our area where one could just blend in with the crowd.

:thumb: Agreed!

I have to agree with Yak on this one. If it is Spirit led than I think length is of little importance. I have sat through lengthy sermons without ever glancing at my watch because time seemed to fly. And I've also sat through 20 minute eternities!

I have to agree with Yak on this one. If it is Spirit led than I think length is of little importance. I have sat through lengthy sermons without ever glancing at my watch because time seemed to fly. And I've also sat through 20 minute eternities!

You should never agree with me. I am going to read this book though,I am interested in what the thoughts are. I didn't like church because I knew of the guilt that I would feel after accepting Christ I enjoy church because of the peace that I feel. I am not in the audience as was mentioned, I an there to worship.

I've never been to one, but I bet when those little churches way back in the hills open that box to take those snakes out no one looks at their watch. Doors, windows, maybe, but not watches.

Hasbeen, I feel completely the opposite. Ususally during the sermon I want to interject something and of course thats something that we don't do. 1st Peter 3:15 "always be ready with an answer on why you believe, and do it kindly". I did read about a service that was called "an Interactive service" and the way it worked the preacher would be speaking and someone would stand up and question him and others followed this pattern. The questions that were asked were already known by the preacher, but it sounds like a good idea.

One time at our church we had a guest coming to speak and he didn't show up. This was on a Sunday Morning. The associate pastor came forward and said "I'm sorry but I don't know what to do, does anyone have any ideas"? Someone came forward and started to share his testimony, it took about 10 minutes. Then someone else came forward and did the same thing. Afterward we talked about how much fun the service was and since then I've asked my preacher about leting us do this. He said "I'm ready to Preach".

One time at our church we had a guest coming to speak and he didn't show up. This was on a Sunday Morning. The associate pastor came forward and said "I'm sorry but I don't know what to do, does anyone have any ideas"? Someone came forward and started to share his testimony, it took about 10 minutes. Then someone else came forward and did the same thing. Afterward we talked about how much fun the service was and since then I've asked my preacher about leting us do this. He said "I'm ready to Preach".

I've seen that done many times and as long as it's voluntary I have no problem at all with it. It's just shyness I guess, I also won't go to a restaurant on my birthday if I think someone is going to tip off the waitstaff to sing. Some like it, some dont I guess.

So, are sermons the only reason men "hate" church? Are their other reasons men are hard to drag to church?

Let me throw this one out there and you have to stay with me to follow the mindset.

It is a self-fulfilling problem.

Men stop going to church because they can't identify with it. Not seeing other men in church, other men stop going. Seeing that mostly females are in church, the messages start/have a feminine tone to them. So other men, tired of the feminine messages stop going.

Here is some points the author brought up.

Ever hear about the Jesus that drove the marketers out of the temple with whips? Ever hear about the Jesus that was invited for supper at a Pharisees house and then insulted him with the way he was? (Luke 11:37-53) Ever hear about the Jesus where the disciples had some fear of him and wouldn't ask him questions? (Mark 4:41, Mark 12:34) Read how he ridiculed his followers in (Matt 15:16)

Does that sound like the nice, polite, FEMININE Jesus that we have as our view today?

What pictures do you see of Jesus in church? A nice Mister Rogers Jesus with kids setting around him or the one of him driving people out of the temple with whips?

Was Jesus the type to have kids setting around him, MOST DEFINITELY! But he was also the type to run people out His Father's house when he deemed it necessary.

We need a message that shows the COMPLETE Jesus. The one that speaks to a woman's heart, we see all the time. The one that speaks to a man's heart, we need to hear and see about more.

The one that would challenge us and tell us that if we follow him, he will walk beside of us and there is a chance of great rewards but also a chance of persecution and death.

BTW, Promise Keepers is in Louisville starting tomorrow and it is one of the best things for me as a Christian male that I have ever been a part of.

AMEN.

When we come together on the first day of the week, it is to worship Him, praise Him, honor Him and remember His sacrifice for us.

We are not the audience.

Wow! You just preached a dandy right there and it just took a few seconds. Amen Brother.

For me, being a christian requires me to "me" down on the priority list.

It's not about me. And it never will be. I'm still trying to learn that lesson.