Computer Recommendation

HammerTime

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If speed is your only issue, I'd hold off doing anything new at the moment. You've got plenty of pc, right now.

Sounds like you either have a hard drive going bad, an outdated driver or BIOS issue (caused by a Windows update), or some kind of software problem (corrupted file or malware).

I have had a similar problems, as you are having, with several employee work laptops and my own Vaio at home. I did all of what I am recommending below. You can do this in steps, if you wish. I'm an IT department of one, now, and it's all I can do to keep up with all of the web sites, software, and hardware issues that arise everyday (not to mention my day trading :) ). Therefore, I tend to "Carpet Bomb", because I am doing multiple things simultaneously and I know I've covered most of the bases after I am done.

The following comes with no warranty or guarentees ...

Backup your hard drive before doing anything.

If you are running Windows 7, 8, or 10, I'd download Steve Gould's CleanUp! 4.5.2 and run that to delete unnecessary temp files. www.stevengould.org

Then I'd run the free version of Malware Bytes. Malwarebytes | Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software

Go to Toshiba's site and make sure you have their latest machine updates.

Then make sure you have the latest Windows updates.

In most cases, the above has solved the speed issues, the exception being those units that had a bad hard drive. Hard drive replacement is much simpler than building a PC from scratch, so if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

I'll give this a try on Monday. I have a program that checks for malware already.

Count me in the group that says build your own. You can build a desktop with more bells and whistles for less money than you'll pay at a box store.

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker

Good sight to ensure you're using compatible components.

Tom’s Hardware: For The Hardcore PC Enthusiast

Good sight to research what you may want/need.

Like others have said, seems to me that you have plenty of machine. Another thing that could be screwed up is some of your registries. I would run CCLeaner, which does a lot of other things as well, to help performance. I would recommend the SSD for any new machine, and in fact before buying a new one I would think to install a new SSD in the current machine first. I did that not too long ago to an older HP, and it truly was amazing how much the speed improved. Even simple things like boot up and windows up dates were processed in a fraction of the time after switching to SSD.

Like others have said, seems to me that you have plenty of machine. Another thing that could be screwed up is some of your registries. I would run CCLeaner, which does a lot of other things as well, to help performance. I would recommend the SSD for any new machine, and in fact before buying a new one I would think to install a new SSD in the current machine first. I did that not too long ago to an older HP, and it truly was amazing how much the speed improved. Even simple things like boot up and windows up dates were processed in a fraction of the time after switching to SSD.

I remember when I first used a SSD on my rig. Boot up time on my PC is 8.2 seconds. World of difference.

I remember when I first used a SSD on my rig. Boot up time on my PC is 8.2 seconds. World of difference.

How would I go about doing that? I'm doing the cleanup steps as we speak. Lets hope I don't lose everything. :lol2:

How would I go about doing that? I'm doing the cleanup steps as we speak. Lets hope I don't lose everything. :lol2:

You could certainly search on line for an SSD that will fit your model computer. HD's are normally very easy to switch out, and I am sure you can even find a youtube video showing how to do. Do you happen to have a MicroCenter near you? A place like that is one that you could go in, show them what you have, tell them you want an SSD, and they can show you your options. Biggest thing about getting new Hard Drive in existing machine though is you are in essence getting a new machine. None of you Software, settings, favorites, etc will be installed. You will need to do all of that.As long as you have good back up you should be ok there too. Again, this is something that one of the tech guys at micro center or someplace similar can help you with if you are nervous.

Sorry, my bad. I needed to stress a particular step in my advise a little firmer. :)

If speed is your only issue, I'd hold off doing anything new at the moment. You've got plenty of pc, right now.

Sounds like you either have a hard drive going bad, an outdated driver or BIOS issue (caused by a Windows update), or some kind of software problem (corrupted file or malware).

I have had a similar problems, as you are having, with several employee work laptops and my own Vaio at home. I did all of what I am recommending below. You can do this in steps, if you wish. I'm an IT department of one, now, and it's all I can do to keep up with all of the web sites, software, and hardware issues that arise everyday (not to mention my day trading :) ). Therefore, I tend to "Carpet Bomb", because I am doing multiple things simultaneously and I know I've covered most of the bases after I am done.

The following comes with no warranty or guarentees ...

Backup your hard drive before doing anything.

If you are running Windows 7, 8, or 10, I'd download Steve Gould's CleanUp! 4.5.2 and run that to delete unnecessary temp files. www.stevengould.org

Then I'd run the free version of Malware Bytes. Malwarebytes | Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software

Go to Toshiba's site and make sure you have their latest machine updates.

Then make sure you have the latest Windows updates.

In most cases, the above has solved the speed issues, the exception being those units that had a bad hard drive. Hard drive replacement is much simpler than building a PC from scratch, so if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Sorry, my bad. I needed to stress a particular step in my advise a little firmer. :)

I did and it all went well. Thank you very much. Didn't do anything to help with my seed issues. I had 6 tabs on my browser open today and it was like dial up getting them to load. I'm beyond frustrated.

I did and it all went well. Thank you very much. Didn't do anything to help with my seed issues. I had 6 tabs on my browser open today and it was like dial up getting them to load. I'm beyond frustrated.

This is one of those times I wish I was up there. If I had it in my possession, I'd swap out the RAM and the hard drive just see what that would do. I know you can't do that without dropping some cash. So we have to do intelligent guessing.

What OS are you running? You need to get to the performance monitor.

This is one of those times I wish I was up there. If I had it in my possession, I'd swap out the RAM and the hard drive just see what that would do. I know you can't do that without dropping some cash. So we have to do intelligent guessing.

What OS are you running? You need to get to the performance monitor.

Windows 10...

Make sure the machine has powered up and has settled.

With the computer at idle, no apps open, right click on the clock and select Task Manager. After it opens, select the performance tab.

Observe the stats.

The CPU should stay below 20%. Most of the time it should be 10% or less.

Disk 0 (C:) should stay pretty much below 10%.

If you are hard wired to your network, ethernet should stay at 0 kbs most of the time.

I can't remember the WIFI stats off the top of my head and I'm hard wired at the moment.