Home Humidity Suggestions

plantmanky

In Laws house built in 1951(we just bought it for them last fall) is having some humidity issues and looking for suggestions. Single level ranch with unfinished basement with no walkout.

Mother in law told me at Christmas that when she would cook on the stove (anything with boiling water mostly) that water droplets would form up on the ceiling and the walls in the kitchen. I went and bought one of those weather gage things you plug in that has the little adaptor that you can put in a garage or outside to get those readings, and I put the adaptor in the basement.

So here is what we are reading.

Upstairs humidity level averaging between 73-75% (even during the cold spell we had a few weeks ago)

Basement humidity level averaging between 65-68%

So now to Suggestions, below were my planed options.

Option 1 - Get a big dehumidifier to put in the basement and see what that does to start with. - If needed get a second one for the upstairs as well.

Option 2 - Get Two big dehumidifiers, (one for each floor) and see what that does.

Option 3 - Do I need to get with one of those companies that does house air ventilation (Like Easy Breeze)

Thoughts BGP?

You have a house breathing condition....that can be usually easily remedied. But first, a few questions:

The house is 1950's vintage, so I'll assume at some point wall and attic insulation has been added. Do you know when, the type, where and how much ?

Has there been exterior (siding) or soffit work done ?

How about a new roof ? New windows ?

Without seeing, my initial reaction is the house cannot breathe. If any of the conditions above have occurred, see if the humidity issue tracks back to one of these home improvements.

I would start in the attic and roof areas. If blown cellulose insulation has been added as an additional layer in the attic, then it is entirely possible that any venting that could have occurred is now obstructed. It is also possible that the roof is not vented properly and this is frequently the case. There is a formula for roof / ridge vents based on square footage of the house. Most houses do not have enough venting.

Does the house have a heat pump / central air ? This can be the next area. Central air would have been an add on, likely through crawl spaces. Check all your register ducts and make sure you are getting good air flow through all vents in all rooms, if not, you may have some leakage that is drawing moist air into your returns and not allowing appropriate "drying" of your condensed room temperature air.

I love a good mystery....any of the above seem like it may be the case ?

One more thing...I would never, ever start with a company that has a primary solution of a "whole house attic fan" as their starting point....many issues in older houses are the result of our attempts to keep drafts out, which is good...the problem is a completely sealed house also keeps all air and moisture in and will eventually cause additional issues of mold in the lower level areas.

You have a house breathing condition....that can be usually easily remedied. But first, a few questions:

The house is 1950's vintage, so I'll assume at some point wall and attic insulation has been added. Do you know when, the type, where and how much ?

Has there been exterior (siding) or soffit work done ?

How about a new roof ? New windows ?

Without seeing, my initial reaction is the house cannot breathe. If any of the conditions above have occurred, see if the humidity issue tracks back to one of these home improvements.

I would start in the attic and roof areas. If blown cellulose insulation has been added as an additional layer in the attic, then it is entirely possible that any venting that could have occurred is now obstructed. It is also possible that the roof is not vented properly and this is frequently the case. There is a formula for roof / ridge vents based on square footage of the house. Most houses do not have enough venting.

Does the house have a heat pump / central air ? This can be the next area. Central air would have been an add on, likely through crawl spaces. Check all your register ducts and make sure you are getting good air flow through all vents in all rooms, if not, you may have some leakage that is drawing moist air into your returns and not allowing appropriate "drying" of your condensed room temperature air.

I love a good mystery....any of the above seem like it may be the case ?

There is minimal insulation in the attic, the roll stuff, that's old and we were planning on replacing when we add insulation to the wife and I house this summer.

The outside of the house is all brick and had little work done to it in 20 years or so I would guess. Home Inspector said we would need a new roof in 7 years or so, but currently it has 3 of those vent caps on it, the black square ones. It had new windows put in about 10 years ago.

House is gas heat and does have a central air unit that is 15 years old, that comes in through the basement. This house has super sized ductwork (its all exposed in the basement to see) and is sealed tight, I had them cleaned before the in laws moved in and the company said we had no leaks at all.

There is minimal insulation in the attic, the roll stuff, that's old and we were planning on replacing when we add insulation to the wife and I house this summer.

The outside of the house is all brick and had little work done to it in 20 years or so I would guess. Home Inspector said we would need a new roof in 7 years or so, but currently it has 3 of those vent caps on it, the black square ones. It had new windows put in about 10 years ago.

House is gas heat and does have a central air unit that is 15 years old, that comes in through the basement. This house has super sized ductwork (its all exposed in the basement to see) and is sealed tight, I had them cleaned before the in laws moved in and the company said we had no leaks at all.

Without seeing, this is probably part of it. Ridge venting is a much better option to get air moving.

Does your gas furnace have a dehumidifier attached to it ?

No on the dehumidifier on the furnace.

Has this situation only recently been an issue ?

If you have a heat pump, then it is likely working and not your actual furnace, so you are introducing ground temps, pulling that as a heat source, and never "drying" your air unless your furnace kicks on, probably about 70 degrees or so. If this has been going on the past couple weeks and is a "new" thing, then I'm guessing part of your issue is the general environment we have been working with.

The warm temperatures and heavy rains have essentially created a geranium with your house.

Whole house dehumidifiers can definitely curb this. They are usually installed in-line in your ductwork on the return air side. When the cold air return pulls air in, it is pushed through the dehumidifier and "dried" before being pumped back into your heat side duct work. A good one probably is going to be in the $1,000 plus install range.

You may want to check your cold air returns and insure you don't have any obstruction or blockage. If you have an air cleaner, check that filter as well, that could assist for the short term.

Has this situation only recently been an issue ?

If you have a heat pump, then it is likely working and not your actual furnace, so you are introducing ground temps, pulling that as a heat source, and never "drying" your air unless your furnace kicks on, probably about 70 degrees or so. If this has been going on the past couple weeks and is a "new" thing, then I'm guessing part of your issue is the general environment we have been working with.

The warm temperatures and heavy rains have essentially created a geranium with your house.

Whole house dehumidifiers can definitely curb this. They are usually installed in-line in your ductwork on the return air side. When the cold air return pulls air in, it is pushed through the dehumidifier and "dried" before being pumped back into your heat side duct work. A good one probably is going to be in the $1,000 plus install range.

You may want to check your cold air returns and insure you don't have any obstruction or blockage. If you have an air cleaner, check that filter as well, that could assist for the short term.

They have only been in the house since last week of October so.............................

This wasnt noticed until the cold spell we had right after Christmas.

No heat pump.

I was thinking more of the portable dehumidifier types for now.

They have only been in the house since last week of October so.............................

This wasnt noticed until the cold spell we had right after Christmas.

No heat pump.

I was thinking more of the portable dehumidifier types for now.

Yes, this takes care of the immediate.

I'm guessing that this is more about the current wet conditions, versus the formerly dry fall we had. Moisture can be "wicked" from the external ground through masonry, block, stone foundations and a rise in temps coupled with wet weather can enhance this effect.

Yes, this takes care of the immediate.

I'm guessing that this is more about the current wet conditions, versus the formerly dry fall we had. Moisture can be "wicked" from the external ground through masonry, block, stone foundations and a rise in temps coupled with wet weather can enhance this effect.

So should I get a unit for each floor, or just one for the basement?

Portables are fairly inexpensive. I have 2 at my house and seem to find a need. I would go with 2

So I took initiative last night and bought two of these monster units last night and delivered them to the in laws. We only opened on last night and started it up on the main floor.

This morning they told me that humidity was down to 58% upstairs in just under 12 hours. (considering it pour all night, not too bad.)

Obviously we need one on each floor as the basement is still really high. Probably hook that one up tonight.