Frederick Douglas 2017 Varsity Football Schedule

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to be a long season

Why do most seem to feel this way? Not saying I completely disagree, but what is your reasoning? From what I am hearing they will be getting plenty of athletes from Henry Clay and Bryan Station with the redistricting. They will also get the Carter G. Woodson Academy students/athletes that have been playing at their districted schools. I am also hearing that several kids are wanting to transfer there because it's new, great facilities, new equipment, their teamates/friends are going there, "grass is greener" type stuff. The coach is coming from the college level so I would think he could handle running a high school team. Again, not disagreeing, just trying to understand why most feel like they will struggle.

I think Cooper is a really good program to look to here as far as early schedules are concerned. I'm not familiar enough to know whether or not they started competing on the freshman or JV level ahead of time ( @Hellbird might be able to add some insight on that)...regardless, the Jags made their way into the 5A state finals after 4 years of existence as a football team, and have certainly been able to field competitive teams amongst the NKY programs ever since.

In their first few seasons, they mixed in 1A and 2A teams to their schedule while they competed as a 5A program. I'd liken that to a skier starting on the "bunny slopes" before they make their way down the double black diamond hills. Gets you a little more comfortable with what you're doing, builds confidence, lets you know you're not automatically going to fail at the task at hand.

• 3 months later...

This is from the new schools website. See link below.

217 Varsity Schedule – Frederick Douglass High School Football

August 19th @ Danville 8:15pm

August 25th vs. Tates Creek 7:30pm

September 8th @ Lafayette 7:30pm

September 15th vs. Madison Central 7:30pm

September 22nd @ Dunbar 7:30pm

September 29th vs. Bryan Station 7:30pm

October 6th @ Scott County 7:30pm

October 13th vs. Hancock County 7:30pm (Mingua Jerky Bowl)

October 20th vs. Henry Clay 7:30pm

October 27th vs. Conner 7:30pm

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue