Trouble Ahead for American Professional Soccer?

Getslow

Don Garber is in Cincinnati right now. I'm interested in seeing what comes from that conversation.

Well everyone is there kissing his backside, so I'm sure it'll be great. Garber loves to trot around the country with his short list for who's getting "promoted" in the next few years.

Well everyone is there kissing his backside, so I'm sure it'll be great. Garber loves to trot around the country with his short list for who's getting "promoted" in the next few years.

Yeah, but FCC has 2 really big things going for it. Huge attendance numbers, and most importantly, Linder money backing it.

• 9 months later...

Oof. Things go from shaky to teetering on the brink...

NASL: US Soccer votes to not extend Division 2 sanctioning to '''18 | SI.com

NASL is going to end up a tier down next season. USSF hasn't gotten it quite right, we wanted promotion and relegation for TEAMS, not entire leagues.

Despite starting two new clubs in California next season, NASL is still going to lose D-2 status.

Rumors continue that Indy XI wants out and momentum for a Canadian Premier League is building, which would take Edmonton FC out of the league.

With USL starting a D-3 league and NISA starting play next year, NASL is finding themselves crowded out.

It's a hell of a thing, having to be sanctioned as a league by your direct competition (USSF holds shares of SUM, the marketing arm of both MLS and US Soccer). Probably a massive conflict of interest but hey, it's America man.