August 3, 201610 yr Advice from Newt. I love it. The guy who advocated life in prison for a first time drug offender and the death penalty for multiple offenses. If I had to pick one person to blame for the ills of our country, it would be Newt. That said, obviously its not one person, but he would be my first pick. He is the creator of the "demonize your opponent" strategy. I think that line of thought, while perhaps good at winning elections, has proven ill-advised for the good to the country. Trump is the child of that strategy, as are his supporters.
August 3, 201610 yr If I had to pick one person to blame for the ills of our country, it would be Newt. That said, obviously its not one person, but he would be my first pick. He is the creator of the "demonize your opponent" strategy. I think that line of thought, while perhaps good at winning elections, has proven ill-advised for the good to the country. Trump is the child of that strategy, as are his supporters. Bingo. And us Dems would never do a thing like that.
August 3, 201610 yr If I had to pick one person to blame for the ills of our country, it would be Newt. That said, obviously its not one person, but he would be my first pick. He is the creator of the "demonize your opponent" strategy. I think that line of thought, while perhaps good at winning elections, has proven ill-advised for the good to the country. Trump is the child of that strategy, as are his supporters. Surely you are not suggesting that the Democratic Party and their supporters do not do this.
August 3, 201610 yr Mayfield i know you are as liberal as any person on here , but Newt the founder of all that is wrong with our country ? C' mon . Heck the R's havent had any major legislative wins since Newt left 15 or so years ago. The time with Newt keeping slick willie in check and them actually working together was the best time in the past 2 decades . The worst times have been the past 12 years or so . Spend like a drunk Bush and King Barry . We need to go back to a fairly moderate prez ( Bubba) and a conservative congress .
August 3, 201610 yr Are you OK with the Dems parading Mr. Khan out to do their dirty work? Before you have a cow, I am on record saying I did not agree with Trump's remarks. I don't know how I feel about it. Certainly, it helps Clinton (remember, I am a third party voter.) To me that is secondary to giving a face to the fact that not all Muslims are bomb-wielding terrorists. Some are brave military men and women. Some give their lives for our country. Trump set himself up for this one with his remarks on Muslims.
August 3, 201610 yr If this is your take away, there will never be any way you will see anything different. The statements about Muslims was clearly referring to the current refuge practice and the current administration not wanting to pause on bringing in refugees from certain areas, like Syria....it's reasonable to assume that most would be Muslim given where they are coming from. There are no constitutional rights provided to non-citizens, so the constitution being waved in the face of America was a prop....that is despicable. The current group of people that are most interested in killing Americans are radical Muslims.... Khan is a greedy American attorney who happens to be Muslim and was pimped for both his religious views and his dead child..... That is despicable... I guess you feel the same about Mrs. Smith. :idunno:
August 3, 201610 yr Mayfield i know you are as liberal as any person on here , but Newt the founder of all that is wrong with our country ? C' mon . Heck the R's havent had any major legislative wins since Newt left 15 or so years ago. The time with Newt keeping slick willie in check and them actually working together was the best time in the past 2 decades . The worst times have been the past 12 years or so . Spend like a drunk Bush and King Barry . We need to go back to a fairly moderate prez ( Bubba) and a conservative congress . I guess it depends on how you define "what is wrong with the country." I define that, in large part, with the division of this country, our inability to compromise, the inability to respect each other when respect is warranted, the constant lobbing of "you aren't a good american" insults. I think all that stuff is poison to our country, a cancer. And yes, I think our modern version of this malady can be traced to patient zero, Newt. Newt's ideas about how to win elections are the dna of this election and our divided nation. We have had several threads in the past year or so about "how did we get so divided" and Newt is my point of ideological origin.
August 3, 201610 yr I guess it depends on how you define "what is wrong with the country." I define that, in large part, with the division of this country, our inability to compromise, the inability to respect each other when respect is warranted, the constant lobbing of "you aren't a good american" insults. I think all that stuff is poison to our country, a cancer. And yes, I think our modern version of this malady can be traced to patient zero, Newt. Newt's ideas about how to win elections are the dna of this election and our divided nation. We have had several threads in the past year or so about "how did we get so divided" and Newt is my point of ideological origin. Do you believe the Dems hold no blame in any of this?
August 3, 201610 yr Do you believe the Dems hold no blame in any of this? The two most powerful people in the country are the leader of the house and the Senate majority leader. Only legislature they want gets put to a vote. Nothing else ever gets to the floor. They have way too much power.
August 4, 201610 yr I guess it depends on how you define "what is wrong with the country." I define that, in large part, with the division of this country, our inability to compromise, the inability to respect each other when respect is warranted, the constant lobbing of "you aren't a good american" insults. I think all that stuff is poison to our country, a cancer. And yes, I think our modern version of this malady can be traced to patient zero, Newt. Newt's ideas about how to win elections are the dna of this election and our divided nation. We have had several threads in the past year or so about "how did we get so divided" and Newt is my point of ideological origin. The division in this country was put on steroids by your beloved President. No one in the history of our democracy has done more to divide Americans along racial, religious, sex, etc. lines. A man who had the greatest opportunity to unify the country did the exact opposite for political gain. And if anyone dare criticize him or his policies, they were immediately labeled "Racist". Sad but True--The Great Divider!!
August 4, 201610 yr I guess you feel the same about Mrs. Smith. :idunno: Not at all. No where in her position has she ever attempted to exploit the situation for personal financial gain. She just called out the person who had the ability to order assistance for Americans who were in trouble in the middle of bad guy country and didn't. She called out the fact that the person who could have helped, lied to the American public about the situation. She never waved a pamphlet of the Constitution at anyone. She never was concerned about her personal business taking a hit for her stance. And she, yes she, the female, the woman, spoke about the loss of her son as a mother..... .....but really, what difference does it make at this point anyway, ....right ? :idunno:
August 4, 201610 yr Here's the difference. You just can't help yourself can you? And we wonder why the threads travel this path.
August 4, 201610 yr Here's the difference. You just can't help yourself can you? And we wonder why the threads travel this path. For real. It's all on you man. Why can't you just take the high road like EVERYONE ELSE ALWAYS DOES?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.