Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

No more Valedictorians?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 62
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was never in any danger.

I think some of our local schools are doing this as well.

FWIW I'm not a fan of not naming a Valedictorian.

  • Author
I think some of our local schools are doing this as well.

FWIW I'm not a fan of not naming a Valedictorian.

 

I just can't agree with any school doing this. The ones who earn it, did just that, they earned it.

Soft. Weak.

Once we got away from 4 point grade scale I think it was only a matter of time.

Saw a friend's Facebook post a couple of weeks ago...out of 100 or so kids in a class over 30 made National Honor Society. My wife's graduating class had 475 in it and a total of around 20 that made NHS.

 

I do think that there are more academically competitive students than there were when we were in school.

  • Author

I just think it takes away motivation for those who are exceptionally smart and want that honor.

Are we adults telling young people that we do not appreciate exceptional performance and hard work? You've got a student, Little Johnny, who slacks through and then Senior year, he stands up with his Mama at the PTO and whines because he is not being recognized. A student who works hard for four years and really cracks the books, has earned that honor. It's all about setting personal goals and making sure they are met, that's a mature decision for an adolescent to decide at 14 or 15 years. These are some of the best speeches you will hear. Congratulations to all 2016 Valedictorians.

Wussification of America continues..

Well, I was never in any danger.

 

I was close but never had a desire to get it. As far as I know the one who did get it was truly the only one who wanted it. I never truly saw the point of it.

No more MVP's at sports banquets is next. This society is so screwed up.

I don't necessarily agree with getting rid of the Valedictorian/Salutorian. Kenton County Schools have gone to Magna/Summa/CumLaude recognition starting with this years class.

 

I do understand some of reasoning behind it. The competition for Valedictorian has become so intense and cutthtroat, that kids are not taking classes like band, art, etc from their schedule because they do nothing for, and actually hurt the overall GPA because they carry no "weight". Or they forego extracurricular activities. Also, becoming a Valedictorian has become a process, one that if you do not plan and execute from day one, will exclude you from winning....it's part how smart you are and how well you do and part how well you play the game. Throw in the fact that many kids are taking college classes in high school which operate on a different grading system, just determining who is the Valedictorian has become a challenge. My youngest son is an example. Next year as junior (and most likely as a senior), over half his schedule will be comprised of college classes with a completely different grading scale. Because the scale is different, it is problematic to determine overall class rank, especially when the difference at the top is often in the thousandths of a point range (or even less).

In the PC world we will soon take down scores at ball games, that's the next straw. Just another way the liberal agenda is destroying what has made America great.

In the PC world we will soon take down scores at ball games, that's the next straw. Just another way the liberal agenda is destroying what has made America great.

 

I don't think we should be taking away valedictorians and the thought of doing is incredibly stupid but this kind of hyperbole always makes me laugh.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.