MLB Draft Thread

MLB.com's morning of mock has the Phillies going Moniak and the Reds sticking with Senzel.

Lewis's power is intriguing, but he strikes out a lot against lower competition. I think he's got the most upside of the college bats, but I think Senzel is the more can't miss, safer pick. I see a .270-.285 avg, with 15 HRs, 75 RBI as a likely line for a guy like him. That'll play almost anywhere.

Read where Lewis made his big splash at Cape Cod last summer. Should be interesting. MLB experts both dropped Puk to 4th w/ Colorado and project Ray ahead of Lewis at #3.

I'm very interested to see where Cards C Will Smith (KCD), 2B Nick Solak, LHP Drew Harrington (Central Hardin), RHP Kyle Funkhouser, Closer Zach Burdi and 3B Blake Tiberi (Holy Cross) end up going.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLB.com scouting report on Taylor Trammell:

Trammell was the Georgia Class A football offensive player of the year after rushing for 2,479 yards and 36 touchdowns last fall and could have played football in college. Instead, he has decided to focus on the diamond going forward. He has committed to Georgia Tech for baseball only and is unlikely to join the Yellow Jackets because he figures to go in the first round of the Draft.

Because he has divided his time between two sports, Trammell still is learning how to recognize pitches, handle offspeed offerings and tap into his raw power. He does show some feel for hitting and his well above-average speed will help him reach base. With his bat speed and strength, he could develop average or better pop.

Trammell also is figuring things out defensively, but he has the tools to be an asset in center field. He's working on improving the strength of his arm, which should be fine for center.

Scouting report on Nick Senzel:

Senzel established himself as a productive college hitter during his first two seasons at Tennessee, then boosted his stock considerably with his performance in the Cape Cod League last summer. He led the Cape in runs (33), hits (56), doubles (16), RBIs (33), extra-base hits (21), total bases (86), slugging (.558) and OPS (.976), earning MVP honors and winning the league's Top Prospect Award from scouts. He posted similar numbers this spring, topping the Southeastern Conference with 25 doubles and ranking second with a 1.051 OPS.

Undrafted out of a Tennessee high school in 2013, Senzel could be the first position player selected this year and pass Todd Helton (No. 8 overall in 1995) as the highest pick in Volunteers history. He combines strength and bat speed from the right side of the plate, and his patient all-fields approach should help him to hit for both average and power. Senzel exhibits average to solid speed and has the instincts to steal a few bases.

Coming into the year, there were questions about where Senzel should play at the next level. Primarily a DH as a freshman and a second baseman as a sophomore, he has worked hard to become a solid third baseman. There were never any worries about his arm, and there no longer are doubts about his hands and quickness.

Scouting report on Chris Okey:

Scouts considered Okey one of the best catchers available in the 2013 Draft, though he wasn't signable as a Florida high schooler and dropped to the Padres in the 31st round. Three years later, he'll go in the first two rounds as one of the top backstop prospects in the 2016 class. In a league loaded with stars behind the plate, he has earned Atlantic Coast Conference first-team honors in each of the last two seasons.

Okey doesn't have a carrying tool, but he's more athletic than most catchers and could have four average tools when he's fully developed. His strength stands out more than his bat speed, and he has an offensive upside of hitting .260 with 15 homers per season.

A veteran of five U.S. national teams, Okey earns raves for his work ethic and ability to run a pitching staff. His catch-and-throw skills are fine, though his arm strength dipped a bit with Team USA's college squad during the summer. Though Okey is a below-average runner, he exhibits good instincts on the bases.

Read where Lewis made his big splash at Cape Cod last summer. Should be interesting. MLB experts both dropped Puk to 4th w/ Colorado and project Ray ahead of Lewis at #3.

I'm very interested to see where Cards C Will Smith (KCD), 2B Nick Solak, LHP Drew Harrington (Central Hardin), RHP Kyle Funkhouser, Closer Zach Burdi and 3B Blake Tiberi (Holy Cross) end up going.

Nice night for the Cardinals....

Ray goes #5 to the Brewers, Burdi goes #26 to the White Sox, Smith went #32 to the Dodgers, and Solak went #62 to the Yankees.

I'd imagine Funkhouser, Harrington, and Tiberi go today.

Nice night for the Cardinals....

Ray goes #5 to the Brewers, Burdi goes #26 to the White Sox, Smith went #32 to the Dodgers, and Solak went #62 to the Yankees.

I'd imagine Funkhouser, Harrington, and Tiberi go today.

I was surprised that Smith when 1st round, but he got the "buzz" / "helium" from the ACC tourney at just the right time of year. Crazy that a guy who platooned with Fitch 1/4 days a week during the regular season was drafted in the 1st round.