Bracken County cancels all away sporting events with Augusta and St. Patrick

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding money...

I have been told that if the District opted to seed the 4 teams would split the money 4 ways, regardless of who qualified for the Regional Tournament.

Now this adds a whole new set of considerations to the poker game. A guaranteed splitting of 39th's Regional payouts in most years would be $5,000 for two teams (District Champ and Runner-Up) that advance and zero for the other two. Or $10,000 split 4 ways which means $2,500 guaranteed for all 4 teams, year-in and year-out. Sure makes seeding more palatible for everyone and candidly probably more financially sound over the longterm for the smaller schools. IMO

I don't think this is a mathematical issue, but rather a statistical issue. A blind draw is random chance, just a smaller pool of potential. Blind is blind and it levels the playing field for the chance.

Unless Julian intervenes, this action has done nothing to bring the 2 small schools any closer to BC's position, and in fact has probably widened that gap....if BC's thinking was that they are not going to travel to Augusta because it gives Augusta a nice gate, then the same is true on the home game end. Kind of cutting your nose to spite your face in terms of gate money.

If Bracken is good enough, who cares if you have seed or draw...you still have to beat the best and that's all this comes down to....

Statistics is taught in the math departments as a 300/400 level course.

If Bracken is good enough, who cares if you have seed or draw...you still have to beat the best and that's all this comes down to....

That's not even remotely true. The regular season means absolutely nothing when a blind draw is held. Imagine if they did the NCAA tournament with a blind draw. Folks would lose their minds.

I'll also add that with a blind draw I wouldn't want to play any of my district opponents in the regular season. What is the incentive? Why would I want to make it easier for you to prepare against my team in this type of scenario?

Now this adds a whole new set of considerations to the poker game. A guaranteed splitting of 39th's Regional payouts in most years would be $5,000 for two teams (District Champ and Runner-Up) that advance and zero for the other two. Or $10,000 split 4 ways which means $2,500 guaranteed for all 4 teams, year-in and year-out. Sure makes seeding more palatible for everyone and candidly probably more financially sound over the longterm for the smaller schools. IMO

Looking at the last 5 years, and using your hypothetical $5,000...

Augusta made $25k with 5 Regional appearances

Mason made $15k with 3 Regional appearances

Bracken made $10k with 2 Regional appearances

St. Patrick made $0 with 0 Regional appearances

Had seeding been done and the pot been evenly split, Augusta's dollar value gets cut in half & Mason's by $2,500. Bracken's increases by $2,500 & St. Patrick's increases by $12,500.

Looking at the last 5 years, and using your hypothetical $5,000...

Augusta made $25k with 5 Regional appearances

Mason made $15k with 3 Regional appearances

Bracken made $10k with 2 Regional appearances

St. Patrick made $0 with 0 Regional appearances

Had seeding been done and the pot been evenly split, Augusta's dollar value gets cut in half & Mason's by $2,500. Bracken's increases by $2,500 & St. Patrick's increases by $12,500.

If I am St. Patrick I'm looking at hiring new math teachers and voting for seeding.

While there could be a million reasons for this it's not hard to figure out what is going on. Bracken has a chance to win the tenth next year and wants to seed to make sure they get there.

That being said I think all districts should be seeded.

Mathematical, statistical, its really 6 in one hand & a half dozen in another. Why "level" the playing field, have those teams earn it. The district games a local anyway, makes it easy to do home & away across the board & settle it. Send the best representatives from your respective district to the region. Go out & win during the season & earn your seed I say. I remember when the 43rd was a blind draw in the not too distant past as well, honestly, not a lot of happy campers at that time.

Maybe I am in the minority on this & I am ok with that, I don't always agree with what the masses want. :sssh:

I don't think this is a mathematical issue, but rather a statistical issue. A blind draw is random chance, just a smaller pool of potential. Blind is blind and it levels the playing field for the chance.

Unless Julian intervenes, this action has done nothing to bring the 2 small schools any closer to BC's position, and in fact has probably widened that gap....if BC's thinking was that they are not going to travel to Augusta because it gives Augusta a nice gate, then the same is true on the home game end. Kind of cutting your nose to spite your face in terms of gate money.

Until the KHSAA mandates seeding, no use crying about it. It's gonna be a month of Sundays before Augusta and St. Patrick vote to seed. If Augusta wasn't in favor during their recent run of success, they won't be now.

Don't worry that KHSAA mandate is coming quicker than you think.

Until the KHSAA mandates seeding, no use crying about it. It's gonna be a month of Sundays before Augusta and St. Patrick vote to seed. If Augusta wasn't in favor during their recent run of success, they won't be now.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. KHSAA needs to either say "All districts must seed" or "All district must draw". I personally don't care how it's done, but it needs to be done the same say across the entire state.

Looks like the A schools are getting coddled twice. For one, they get their own tournament in the middle of the season and in postseason, there are people who think we should draw to give small schools a chance to go to Regionals. Why not just split classes and they can have the Class A Tournament at the end of the year?

That's not even remotely true. The regular season means absolutely nothing when a blind draw is held. Imagine if they did the NCAA tournament with a blind draw. Folks would lose their minds.

I'll also add that with a blind draw I wouldn't want to play any of my district opponents in the regular season. What is the incentive? Why would I want to make it easier for you to prepare against my team in this type of scenario?

and yet the state tournament is a blind draw, go figure.

Looks like the A schools are getting coddled twice. For one, they get their own tournament in the middle of the season and in postseason, there are people who think we should draw to give small schools a chance to go to Regionals. Why not just split classes and they can have the Class A Tournament at the end of the year?

I appreciate where you are coming from, but I don't know of many small schools that feel they are being coddled when it comes to KHSAA athletics.